Thoughts on Owl's Head and the Pre-Alpha game thus far.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strife, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shantibaba

Shantibaba Avatar

Great game so far.

I don't like the look of the armours models. Dident look realistic to me

wagram likes this.
  2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I'm tired of all you ESDF people...walking around with your head up high, stealin' things, makin' graffiti all over with spray paint, leaving the toilet seat up. If you don't like WASD then you can..........GIT OUT!!!!

but...definitely right key to look and rebindable keys.

Freeman likes this.
  3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

@Carlin

The Witcher 2 cost 36 Million Dollars

@Docfox

Skyrim Development and marketing budget 86 Million Dollars.

Portalarium will win with inovation and back to the roots thinking.
    The graphic will be wonderful.

But why always compare with the supersice me budget games?

Time Lord, sakuraba and ByTor like this.
  4. amethyst_andi

amethyst_andi Avatar

Maybe I'm just putting too much of my own job as an application developer into this, but I was never going into this release with the idea that I was going to get to "play" a game. I'm a tester, a unit tester not even a UAT tester. Meaning, I'm like a developer that is testing the code they put in before it even gets in front of the real users to knock the heck out of it. So, I'm trying to walk through walls, find places where there are invisible walls, try to place objects in places I shouldn't be able to, say things to NPCs as I normally would no matter how they respond, stuff like that. I don't have any expectations of being able to do what I would in a game and I'm surprised there are so many people who had those expectations. Maybe they didn't have any idea that this is a pre-alpha. Maybe they have no concept of what a pre-alpha means if they did know. I'm just really, really glad to be given the opportunity to explore, poke, mess around, and help the developers get the data necessary to get what seems like an awesome, unique game out the door.

5. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Regarding the conversation system... I think its a given that many people will fire up Autohotkey or something similar and setup macros for common conversation elements. Then they'll just have a single key press to get what they need out of common NPCs. They won't be typing in those same phrases every single time. I'm sure some will but many will just use macros.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the way the character walks from place to place. It looks more natural, and he seems like a tough guy. Running around makes you look like you are late and worried you wont' get there on time.

It would be great if we could walk in SotA, and then choose to run which expends stamina.

7. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I think so far, so good! I like the direction they are going with the overall look and lighting/visual effects. I do hope they tweak the controls though, because I found the mouse sensitivity on the "right click" camera a bit too touchy. A camera and mouse sensitivity adjustment slider would be very much appreciated for this game :)

Time Lord and vjek like this.
  8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Everything looks promising to me. Keep in mind this is the first release so I'm happy with what they've done.. that is, everything except the npc chat. I find myself looking away from the npc's as they talk and just staring at my chat window. Maybe instead of typing out everything the npc is saying to you instantly in the chat window .. let us read what the npc is saying in "real time". Then it can be copied to the (forthcoming) journal if you need to re-read it.

Kuno Brauer and Freeman like this.
  9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

One more thing: I hope those highlighted key words in npc chats can be turned OFF in future releases. I don't want to be spoon fed what I need to say back to them.

Kuno Brauer, Freeman and Dame Lori like this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Along the same vein of things we shouldn't know being turned off (...highlighted keywords...), why do I know the NPC's name? Is that going to stay on? Or will I have to ask their name first once you get more nailed down?

Lord_Viator, By Tor and Kuno Brauer like this.
  11. monxter

monxter Avatar

Amen!

Joviex and Freeman like this.
  12. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I'm hoping too that in the final game the graphics will be better. However the almost $3m they have so far is going to be barely enough to pay for the team's wages and expenses over the next couple of years let alone provide state of the art features. I'm hoping that over the next year that they can at least double the $3m they have so far :)

13. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

They'll have 4 million (I'm hoping) by the time the game comes out next year - and once it's a hit.. they won't need to worry about revenue for awhile.

Kuno Brauer and monxter like this.
  14. marthos

marthos Avatar

As others have said, I definitely think that they need to implement a Jump button. When I first heard that there wouldn't be a jump option, I didn't think it would bother me at first. However, it gets frustrating trying to walk around benches and other short objects. I also feel like the town is LESS immersive because I cannot enter houses from the sides/backs due to the 2-foot tall wall that sections them off. I feel like I'm forced down a specific path just to travel around town, rather than the free-flowing feeling that other games with a jump button have where I can take short cuts jumping over shrubs/fences.

15. Valdric

Valdric Avatar

I feel like I'm at a bunny farm when there's jumping in an MMO.

Myrcello and Freeman like this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Got some playtime in today and ran across 2 chests that enabled me to have a change of suits and armor. The water effects of the river was pretty good and I liked the wind effects on the grass. What's more I was able to open a door without having to zero in on the door knob/handle, my color sense is a bit odd and I was having difficulty before catching the color change in the mouse pointer. Having the entire door interactable was a big thing in user ease for me, kudos to the team.

Re: funding, I"d be very suprised if SOTA doesn't reach 5M by the first quarter next year. And when the SOTA-SC crossbow hits the scene and these start appearing in the SC personal ship hangers, expect another wave of interest from that side. SOTA has a lot of well wishers over there :)

Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  17. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

conversation system is a great idea but its like the game does not like me.
    I looked at videos and the guards tell everything to a guy that just says he is from earth if I do the same I get almost no info.
    if I am not going to be able to get my missions I am going to be furious.

18. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

We are in 2014, not in 2004.

This look way outdated.
    If they want to sell this game after the release, they better start working on the graphics of the game, or you will end up with 5000-10000 players.

Which , would be a disaster for a game who's not P2P.

19. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Yuri? Hah! Boris has arrived. Russia's fate is with him.

On topic, Alpha looks good, but I'd like to see some Veteran's Day garb when the time comes. I know some naysayers may complain about their immersion and the culture of the game world, but we need camo leather armor and dog tags to get festive. Decorative firearms would be cool too. ( :rolleyes: )

20. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The Graphics need a lot of work, I'd prefer they scaled down the Char and Buildings,as it is he big and clumsy with poor looking house graphics. UO had small characters and a big world, this is big characters making it a small world as it is they are only 1 meta shard instances, they should scale all the content down, it will certainly make the graphics and movement less of a problem. I'm looking for the play and feel of UO, If I want easy gameplay there's millions of options for me.
    The armour was poor. And having just checked the crafting its not good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as UO's . 2 ingots 2 straps you have a poor looking Breastplate in one click. UO you needed chest + 2 arms 2 legs
    2 Grieves all of the same quality or no one would buy from you. Will all the crafting be that easy. I thought when I read the interviews of RG I was going to get a game were nothing was easy to achieve, this looks like any other MMO crafting in F2P, P2P just another style over substance game.
    Less than a year to go so it going to need a lot of work. This will not be another WOW it will be played by community of players that don't want WOW, so it will need to improve, Crafting, Housing Decoration, (Combat ) I will edit this after seeing craft & combat with my views then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.