Thoughts on Resurrection

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Aww... *pats Bowen gently on the head* There there... have you not heard the song? There's a particular line that is very applicable if one is looking at the girl in my sig picture. ;)

(Which, sadly, my character has no chance of emulating at the moment - but I live in hope!)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

heheh well no I haven't heard the song. Though it does seem like there is some potential for good humor in there.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Well, what are you waiting for?! Go and listen to it at once!! (I find it very funny, but it probably depends on your sense of humour. :) )

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would but I've got bandwidth issues. :( We've already been billed for overuse twice for 2 months now. :( I want my DSL back! It'll have to wait until I go to the library later.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Song written and performed by Codex Dragon, Felicia Day.

6. rild

rild Avatar

What if an On-The-Spot resurrection uses the Old Body, but a Long-Distance resurrection disintegrates Old Body (or transfers it whatever) and the loot drops to the ground.
    These could of course be different spells of different levels.
    This would give an incentive for corpse retrieval -vs- long distance resurrection at a healer or elsewhere.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I like the way this got completely off-topic very quickly... ;)

Can I be resurrected looking like Codex? :D

(There we go, back on track!)

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A case could be made for this. Depending on how the transfer of the body worked. I just figured your inventory is in contact with your body so it comes along with. It would make more sense for items to be left behind though but it would be burdensome on soloists. Anyone who isn't fully prepared would end up having to go back less prepared to where they died to retrieve their stuff.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    *huge blush... thinks about how to hide his bullet holes, knife cuts, "old man gout" and that funny tattoo that says "I Love Lucy" :(*
    :p Karrolanth you crack me up! :D
    I'm actually thinking about making a cover video for that song or another Ultima themed video here in Chiang Mai. I ordered the uniforms for me and my extras last week. "There are some amazing talents here in Thailand" so I'm thinking on taking advantage of that opportunity :)

Perma Death, or a Better Gaming Experience Somewhere In-between? "The BillyRoy Madness" :D

Back in the days of old UO, I and my home tribe had about 9 accounts between us all (3 for me, 3 for my children and 3 for my 3rd X wife o_O I was stuck in the 3's back then I guess :p)

But more importantly, we mostly spent out time building up chrs and then playing around them. "But there always came a time when we were all Maxed Out". Most times we didn't want to delete them, so I would then take all my tribe, I and some of the core members of my guild and up and move to another shard. We'd then play there for a while until maxing out there and then move to another one. But my point here is, that when we max or get tired of a chr role we were playing, we'd just go grind up train another chr and repeat the cycle over and over again. "There's allot of fun being and feeling new or renewed from scratch".

Most people's minds think in "absolutes", the light switch is on or it's off in most of the everyday decisions that we make. But when everyday things get everyday boring, it's time for a change. That is why I am a Perma Death supporter, just as our BillyRoy is as well as some others.

I do enjoy a more robust impact for death in consequences, because it heightens the excitement of the battle by a factor of "Awesome". Those feelings of a loss being incurred, heighten any game's excitement level, no matter if it's PvP or PvM that we are playing.

So, "what about a serious stat/skill loss?" o_O
    When we look at it from a "we want more people to play" standpoint, we don't want to loose any of our players to other games. So, what if those lost stats/skills were more easily recovered up to the point of where you once were before your death? The player would still be very weak until they did recover from the death, yet could then rely on their friends to protect them more as they re-gain the vibrancy of their former self. Death then becomes a very fellowship building or self reflective event when it's something to think about and brings true "fear" back into the gaming experience.

Chemicals in the Brain We Get Hooked To o_O *the hidden "crack" inside us all* :confused:
    When games are exciting, just as in real combat, they release chemicals into the brain. Once the brain has those chemicals, even a few short times, then the brain wants more. Our emotions are nothing more than drugs :eek: They can excite us, as well as bring us down, yet it is the rollercoaster of them, that brings us back because of the excitement of the ride. This is a self evident part of our gaming world. The PK for example, wants that dominant feeling so bad that they are willing to do or say almost anything to be able to have victims that do not want to be victims. We have all noticed this in almost every PvP thread we have ever had. "Now think of how addicted they are to that" o_O *it's brain crack*

So, if we make death a much more event of consequence, this creates a much more addictive excitement on both the death dealer's end, as well as the thrill that comes from having that death mean something more than just finding a way to resurrect.
    [​IMG]
    Make no doubt that we are trying to addict people to self made chemicals, because that is what "Fun" is...
    Any thoughts or feedback? What do you think? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Jambo, Jivalax Azon and 3 others like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I won't be playing here to build stats. I'll be here to role play. Which is hard to do when you're dead. Not a fan or permadeath for any reason.

While I'm all for death having consequences and meaning. That isn't the intended subject here. That's more of an after you're been dead thing.

I'm pretty sure there will be some consequences planned. One pet peeve of mine is players using death out of convenience. For example: It's too much trouble to get out of this dungeon and back to town. So I'll just die and respawn. etc.

Jivalax Azon, rild and Time Lord like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

They're defending their territory (orcs, etc), or are inherently malevolent (ghosts, spirits). But yea, the more that could be elaborated on the more interesting the game would be. I think it would be fun to move away from the model of "monsters are just aggro machines" that's been common in RPGs. Even many early RPGs let you do things like do bribes (bribes are more realistic than ransoms).

Its not complicated tho :> Its a matter of how much you expect the game to have a real game world versus being a meta-game. Its similar to using a deus ex machina in literature, or breaking the fourth wall in theater. Which might be called metafiction. Unless your intent is to be ironic, you want to do it only as little as it makes sense to by design.

Btw, even in D&D, Raise Dead and Resurrect were different spells. I'm wondering if anyone tried messing around with the mechanics of Resurrect, which requires any scrap of the body's tissue.. and theoretically, those pieces could be separated.

And at any rate, I like the idea discussed in another thread of instead of having one item being ransomed, have all your items lost, and then you go to some type of arcane mage to recover lost items in exchange for a personal sacrifice, with the idea that they still have some link to your soul. The same could work for lost body parts; otherwise, you'd have to recover them.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Bowen Bloodgood Said;

I won't be playing here to build stats. I'll be here to role play. Which is hard to do when you're dead. Not a fan or permadeath for any reason.
    While I'm all for death having consequences and meaning. That isn't the intended subject here. That's more of an after you're been dead thing.
    I'm pretty sure there will be some consequences planned. One pet peeve of mine is players using death out of convenience. For example: It's too much trouble to get out of this dungeon and back to town. So I'll just die and respawn. etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    For me, it's all about how to become more tied to your RP character because I am still that character after I die and the more feeling I can have input to that character then the more likely "I feel him" and the consequences that can face for being as brave or not so brave as he is.

It's much less likely that anyone would exploit any death arrangement if they do have great consequence incurring any death. "When death is meaningless, them it means much less where or what my dead body's disposition is. If I must incur a stat/skill loss if someone takes my head or other body part, could greatly motivate me to seek out my old body and save that loss. Or, these greater losses could effect the way in which I decide to support a disappearing body's decomposition timer.

If there is no, or little loss of anything upon death, then it's less likely that I will care more for the RPed Character that I am playing. Just ask any Soap Opera actor how they feel about becoming "cut" from not playing their part well and you can see there more robust performance come out in a much more meaningful way.

I enjoy deeper consequence because without them, I'm just thinking of "the stuff" I lost more than the harm my RPed character has incurred. I am for building into our game challenges at every point of it's gameplay and not just focusing on the battle itself, yet was thrilling, yet was not the whole of the issue. Recovery should be much more an issue than just "stuff" and the gameplay of recovering my body should be a mini game all to itself full of challenging thoughts and situational parameters, or it's becomes just a broken down car issue stuck on the side of the road, which is no fun at all.
    Fun to be had at all points, that's what I'm after, so whether or not I reassemble or gain a new body should be a subject of creating better gameplay through mini-challenge or fun.

If it reassembles then my "stuff" is on the ground or has an affinity to me and if my old self is a meat sack, then I'm not that fond of it anymore and me and my Cannibal/Necromancer friends can eat or use it... if I'm a cannibal ;)
    The more consequences in death, the more thrill of it's recovery, because of not only the possibility of further loss, but could become a Karma effecting event even after death...

Eriador, Jambo, Jivalax Azon and 4 others like this.
  13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I think you meant reincarnate. Creepy little cosmic buddhist ninja children REINCARNATE. They do it so fast we cannot see it happen, and it's actually how they get around. Why bother moving my arms and legs when I can just reincarnate into the correct pose, and then be praised for my incredible speed and grace...:rolleyes:

14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

No, he really regenerates...like a certain other time lord :rolleyes: (...and I should know because I'm his official biographer o_O) (I'm the one who is reincarnated in new bodies over and over again.) More details on how Time Lord ended up becoming a ten-year old Asian monk coming soon...;)

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I hope you're taking notes sir Bowen :cool:
    I don't want to have to go through all this child monk thing again o_O
    just for a another regeneration demo :(
    *childhood stress :confused: and then there's :eek: puberty to deal with all over again*
    *:oops:sneaks another peek as somebody's Avatar again:rolleyes:*
    ~Time Lord~:p

Eriador, Lord Baldrith, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm sorry what were you saying? My spirit was too busy looking for a healer. ;)

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Eriador, Lord Baldrith, Jambo and 4 others like this.
  18. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Really? I would think 'Game On' would be a natural choice. I mean you have access to giant gold Buddhas lots of dancers. Just a thought. I will be watching whatever you decide. If you wait long enough, I'll help. ;)

OK, Sorry for the off topic nature of this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.