1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Time to talk about economy!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilbob

evilbob Avatar

This economic style sounds similar to how Eve online does it. I am very excited to see what it look like in SOTA.

I do wonder about the "work order" system. Will I be able to put out an order to PK that guy that keeps ganking me when I head into the Shardfall?

How about a player set bounty? When I am upset with someone I can donate gold to their bounty fund. When they finally get what is coming to them the one that did the deed gets the bounty. When in PVP the bounty is displayed so everyone can see who is worth the time and effort.

Tahru likes this.
  2. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Bounty systems do not work, they will have a friend kill them and split the funds.

cobran and steanne like this.
  3. Leafar Penfranc

Leafar Penfranc Avatar

Excuse me. the tamers fit in the Crafters category?

4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Bounty systems could work if there was a persistent penalty imposed on the "huntee" after being captured or killed by the hunter, something that would follow them around for a long time.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I try not to assume there are no solutions to well known exploitive behavior. It would be kind of hard for example, for friends to collect a bounty if say.. it required them to first accept a quest to collect said bounty and the target of the bounty was random.

Tahru and Xandra7 like this.
  6. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

I disagree. Yes, bounty systems are easily exploited in cases where the reward is system generated. In cases where the reward is provided by the slain Avatar, it works just fine.

In fact, the new Work Order system could cross-function as a player-driven bounty system. We just need a tangible way to prove the job is complete. I like the old system of being able to loot a head from the corpse. :D

So, a sample Work Order description could read, "Bring me the head of Tahru! 1000gp." The posting player would, of course, be paying the reward. Of course, in order to control this, the player should only be able to create this kind of Work Order when killed by another player. Perhaps, while in ghost form... LOL

(Sorry, Tahru. I figured you could handle the teasing. ;) )

EDIT: Bounty control

Dirk Hammerstrike, Tahru and Xandra7 like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Issue I have with that approach is.. what if the defender killed the attacker. Would they still be able to place a bounty? I think the criteria needs to be a little more than who killed who.

I recall discussing the matter in detail last year where a lot of good ideas where presented.. *searches* wow.. year before last. lol I give you... *trumpet sounds*

Justice System Brainstorming

:D

A Ghost and Tahru like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

yes we definitely need a justice system. I think it will help the economy. Although I think bounties could be similar to work-orders. I also think contracts (for assassination) could work like a work order too.

Bounties and assassinations are only good if they can get the person while they are in PvP. Being an assassin might be difficult work at best, but it might be fun for the player that is patient, and studies their opponent.

Being able to track them down somehow might be necessary. Having the work order for assassination should make the player relevant to you so you can end up in the same instance as the guy. Although further tracking mechanisms might be necessary too.

Either way that would be another way some of the less scrupulous PvPers could earn money. Because PvP will already be expensive for the player, let alone if they add a Justice system where murderers are shunned by NPC vendors and attacked by NPC guards.

A Ghost, Tahru and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Absolutely.. I believe one of the ideas discussed was bounties going both ways.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

after hearing chris describe the economy I have a clearer idea of what actually brings money into the macro economy etc. PvPers are already on the low end of the stick. If we have a criminal/justice system, then those who are PKs will have an even tougher time with it. Although they earned that trouble. Nevertheless, they too need a way to earn gold because they won't have all the alts like they did in UO to gather gold for their killer. Since all players on a single account will share the karma. Which seems totally reasonable in this game. How can somebody be a good guy if he spends all his gold supporting a mass murderer?

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh! Speaking of economies. . I haven't heard this idea discussed in awhile. Gambling! Gambling is one of those NPC services that a lot of players actually WANT to spend their money on over and over again. (Assuming the games are fun).. We totally need a House of Games as an NPC building for player towns and NPC towns.

A Ghost, Tahru, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In this case, I think reputation for actual criminal behavior should weight more heavily against other characters than simply not being virtuous.

I'm not overly fond of the shared reputation personally but you make a good point..

A Ghost, Tahru and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah why not. Maybe it doesn't make them attack on sight by the guards, but families have been shunned or disliked because they had a crazy mass murderer grow up in their home. There are plenty of situations in history where entire famlies lost their wealth because one member of the family tried to help in a rebellion to over throw a king or a government.

So an entire account being shunned by NPCs doesn't seem unreasonable if the main character is a PK.

Tahru likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

My primary reservation with the shared reputation.. or indeed shared last name is an RP one. I don't want any of my characters to be blood related. But as Dame Lori once pointed out, $45 is a small price to pay for an extra account. (and I still can't argue that point).

A Ghost, Isaiah [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  15. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Bounties can work as follows:
    • Bounties are determined and posted by Port. Based on history of past deeds and virtue level.
    • Bounties are paid out of the offenders pocket.
    • 1/3 is paid to the Bounty Hunter
    • 2/3 is paid to Port (Court Costs and Attorneys Fees)
    • If amount can not be paid by offender then bounty hunter collects from Port and offenders earnings are taxed at 100% until Port is paid.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't think that's really enforceable. How for example is the game going to track earnings? Yes you can just say any gold they pick up.. but that's really contrived. If I was a PK for example and a bounty system did this. I simply wouldn't keep any money. I'd put it all on another character or even another account so the game would never touch it. Let another character do all my shopping and leave items for my PK in a chest.

Isaiah [MGT], Tahru and Net like this.
  17. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Any earned gold from kills is not paid to the offender but instead reduces the existing balance. So they may end up with one avatar with a huge debt. As for the money laundering between your avatars or another's account that could be its own penalty and cost. There is a reason why these laws exist in RL. However I do agree in any game most anything is contrived. What feels real to you and me may not to another person. Same goes for what feels contrived.

18. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

I would also add the inconvenience of waiting for another person to play and/or shifting things between your avatars is an inconvenience that over time may become an annoyance worth paying off the penalty. If not the minor annoyance factor still exists and is some consolation for the victim.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Unless they own extra accounts themselves. Besides, the game won't be able to track money across accounts. There are too many ways around that. Every last coin would have to retain history to really do that.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Still if someone has to buy an extra account to get around the penalty. The victim should seek some consolation in that too. Any way you look at it, in a game where a life can be resurrected, law and order systems will never be perfect or great. But, if they cause the offender to use real $ or lose time in game then they are aware of some cost to their actions. A game company will never impose penalties that would drive these offending customers away unless they were damaging to the entire community in a bad way. So unless Port decides to penalize PvP in that manner. We will most likely have to be satisfied with a less than optimal solution.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.