To Buy A Land Deed Or Not

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Sundews, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I'm still debating whether to upgrade my pledge to Citizen level (or higher) to get a land deed for a house.

I like the idea the houses are rent free for life. And that there are no monthly fees for the game. But on the other hand, if you do the math for the rent free land deeds, you're paying for the rent/upkeep/fees upfront. For example, a WOW subscription is $15/month, or $180 per year. So a citizen level pledge is roughly a 3-year MMO subscription. The higher pledges more so.

I keep going back and forth whether to get a pledge with a land deed. I'm drooling over the Baron Island Castle, but realistically can't afford it. Also, since I'm a new pledger, I'll be near the bottom of the totem for site selection, so that's a big deterrent for me. I like though you get a vendor and crafting station.

So what are your thought on this?

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

In my mind the it's all about pledging/support. Sure, you can look at it as an investment and remove taxes and all that but my reasons for pledging still revolve around supporting the game and the team.

I do like the idea of getting a plot/house that I can own in this game for the life of the game, too. But that wasn't my driver.

3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

It is well worth pledging up to the Citizen level if you are interested in the rent-free village plot (plus the higher priority in lot selection) and the other rewards that come with that level. If you choose to buy a plot instead in the add-on store, you have a much lower priority in lot selection and will be paying monthly fees (amount yet to be determined) indefinitely. Obtaining a plot through the Citizen pledge tier or higher is cheaper in the long run, so if you plan on playing SOTA for at least a couple of years, that's the way to go ;)

P.S. If you can get one of the Founders in the Player Marketplace to grant you Founder status, that really helps with priority in lot selection as well o_O

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

a Citizen pledge is is $550 yes. But that let you also play episode 1-5 (you got it at $135 explorer digital level).
    I believe you can think about a episode as a expansion (they plan to do one each year as far i understand)

So you get 1 game + 4 expansions, Looking at Wow expansions seems to cost around $50, so lets consider 1 game + 4 expansions to be equal value to $250.
    The remaining $300, well consider it a subscription cost of $60 / year over 5 years ($5/month)

So a Citizen pledge is over 5 years cheeper than Wow by far.

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Considering that there will be 5 episodes with 1 every year or so paying the equivalent of a 3 year subscription for 5+ years of rent-free housing could be a benefit. In the end it comes down to how long or often you plan on playing the game. I plan on playing a lot for the life of the product, so it seemed worth it to me. However, my main goal was to support the game getting made and not for a specific award.

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I got 5 episodes for $125 :) That's a 3rd of what the game will be worth. Paying taxes will not bother me, I look forward to earning a house or living in the street...whatever.

Edit: I had a death grip on my responder pledge....they are some cunning salespeople.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My thoughts : DO IT! :)

8. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I appreciate your views. I'm focusing on the land deed because I'm assuming that is the big ticket item in all the Citizen+ pledges. Yes, I know Episodes 1-5 are included, but I can just stay at the Explorer $125 pledge to get that. I'm trying to determine whether it it worth it to upgrade my pledge to Citizen (or higher). I'm already at Founder status, btw. And as I noted, since I'm a late pledger, I'm going to get very poor priority in site selection among the other Founders if I do get a land deed via a Citizen+ pledge. Since site selection is very important, that is a big disincentive for me.

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

The rent free deed is the highest value item in a citizen+ pledge, imo. Being able to be inactive for several months at a time is also a huge bonus to the citizen+ pledges. What has yet to be specifically stated, for certain, is if they will allow rent-free village deeds to be upgraded to rent-free town/city/castle deeds via in game gold purchases. If so, the value of a Citizen pledge is through the roof.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the pecking order. If you are a founder, that puts you ahead of benefactors and the add-on store purchases.

10. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

Remember that alot of the game will be instanced and they have said numerous times that there will be plenty of lots available. You may not get prime city location, but you will get your home and it will be useful and accessible. I think water lots may be gone, but land lots you will be able to get your home, if you chose one.

Umbrae likes this.
  11. Kal

Kal Avatar

well the people who place deeds from the add on store will place last. citizen pledges place before them.

if you pledge as a knight for example, you will place before all citizens.

a big benefit i see for citizen level is the commission free vendor, that's probably going to be very useful

12. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I am concerned about the pecking order . Let's say I upgrade to the Citizen pledge. There were 373 Citizen and 207 Knight pledges in the original Kickstarter, for a total of 580 pledges with Village lots. All 580 of those get to choose their site ahead of me. That's a fact. The number of Founder Village pledges though has probably grown to about 800 pledges to this day - an educated guess.

My position number in the 800 or so pledges? Probably around number 790.

So yes, I'm VERY concerned about the pecking order.

13. Kal

Kal Avatar

so pledge knight level and pass up all of those below knight

its also based not simply on date but on amount, pledging a little more money beyond the pledge amount will put you ahead of other citizens, to what extent we don't know

14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I don't think plot placement will be that big a deal. There is supposed to be plenty of lot available even after everyone places their home, so I think only water lots will be a problem as there will be a lot less of those than land plots.

And to Koldar's statement, they did in-fact say in a video before the end of KS that deeds will be upgradable in-game and the rent-free status would be maintained. Obviously things can change and there is no where on the FAQ that mentioned this, but I have faith they don't want me to fly to Austin to resolve what I consider a personal promise to me. :p

Mercyful Fate, Time Lord and Koldar like this.
  15. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Knight pledge would be better. I estimate though there would be about 300 Knight pledges ahead of me. Getting a good site selection is important to me.

16. Kal

Kal Avatar

once you pledge more than 400 dollars you can access the dev+ forums and you can read and reply to that section which has a lot of interesting stuff going on in it including early information and feedback and additional game tests

and by adding more to your pledge your can pass up a lot of the knights (i dont know how to go about adding money to your pledge without jumping to next pledge level or how much this effects it) and you will also be before future knights in general. what if 200+ more knights pledge after you etc

17. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Translation: "We'll tell you more if you pay $400"

:) :)

18. Kal

Kal Avatar

lots more in fact and you can help guide the game a lot more. lots of feedback and discussions with the devs there. basically thats where most things get posted first and where they first get feedback on it.

19. smack

smack Avatar

I've always encouraged folks to go for the pledge vs. getting the deed from the store or in-game later. You will reap the benefits of the rewards at that tier for many years to come.

Time Lord and Koldar like this.
  20. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

It seems to me you are misinformed. They in fact have repeatedly stated that housing will be rare and limited and that the intended design is that only a small percentage of players will have the possibility to own a house at any given time.
    They also never quantified what they regard as an ample amount of lots available so its kind of a non-statement as we do not know what the statement referred to. Just browse through some of the other housing threads and you will see plenty of discussion about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.