Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Too Easy Access to Important Figures

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Vyrin, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I've been thinking about the leaders of various towns and cities, and how we as avatars can just walk into their homes and offices and start a conversation. It feels off.

For example, without any introduction, you can walk through a guard barracks in Owl's Head and go up to see Lord Enmar. Similarly, even though there is a challenge at the gates, you can walk right into Khasi and Siranto's most private quarters without saying a word to anyone.

Besides having guards who would try to stop you, these people would also be busy, and would not realistically just be standing there waiting for you to stop by. Mostly you would expect that you might have to schedule an appointment.

I know this fits into the whole discussion of NPC schedules, but it's slightly different and would be one small thing that would make the world seem a little more coherent.

FrostII, Alexander, firegold and 11 others like this.
  2. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Well, I think any RPG ultimately requires at least some suspension of disbelief.

Going down that road can lead to some overwhelming and complicated systems.

EverQuest Next, for example, actually brought in a whole other company with AI software called "Story Bricks" to help them develop dynamic AI with NPCs that react realistically based on who they are. In that situation the guards would likely have an automatic suspicion to anyone they have never spoken to before etc. but no one really knows if that's even going to work.

For a smaller team/budget like SOTA I'm already impressed with what they've accomplished so I'm gonna give them slack on top of the line AI. :p

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

That is true, but I think an AI for "personal guard" would be warranted. Basically, an NPC could be designated to protect another specific NPC, and would require players to annouce themselves as they approach that NPC. This could be them engaging the player in conversation automatically and requiring their name and intention the first time the player approaches. They would also all come to the defense of the NPC if they are attacked. This would make sense for important figures, and lower the chance that a player engages in trollish behavior to block others from advancing their story, without making all important NPCs immortal or automatically respawn. (Although, if they are killed, having other NPCs come and resurrect them would be cool; I despise respawn mechanics.)

Sara Dreygon and Vyrin like this.
  4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Can you kill NPCs in towns? I haven't tried but I didn't really think so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.