Trees? Can we grow them ourselves or are they purchasable only in the Add on store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sold and gone, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am just wondering in the future if we will be able to grow our own trees. I love the add on store ones and have purchased some of them. I was just wondering in the future if we will be able to grow and "place" trees in the future. Thanks :)

2. Majesticon

Majesticon Avatar

good question, I would certainly cast a vote towards being able to GrOw YoUr OwN!

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Absolutely love your avatar pic! It makes me jealous that I did not do something like that! :D

mbomber likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I should hope you should be able to do this in game...shouldn't this be automatic?

FrostII, mbomber and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am hoping so! :) I think it will be but I want to know before I spend a ton of money then finding that I can grow them.

mbomber likes this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Actually I want old dead looking trees, but you cant grow and old dead tree lmao!
    Edit: Maybe we can poison existing living trees, then harvest them after they have died? *speculation*

mbomber and Forest Dweller like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If I was the devs I'd leave some unique trees in the store and also flood the game with regular trees maybe a transplanting skill ? you'll be forced to buy your big old tree but you can place regular trees, having them growing would be a really cool feature :) seeing we can already cut trees in the wild, being able to transplant small ones wouldn't be too hard to code IMO :)

FrostII and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I was just thinking, maybe grow them in a place you want them, then poison them? hrmmm

9. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

This was actually my fear when I started seeing plants in the add-on store. It makes me wonder if it rules out a UO style botany system and they'll end up being cash shop items only. I hope that is not the case and there will be avenues for growing plants eventually too.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hahaha... I wonder if you'd get bad karma for that ?

Thats another thing I would love to see in this game, advanced carpentry and woodwork, being able to petrify/treat woods with some alchemy that would make them special hues and properties if used to compound a weapon for example.

I'm a proponent of making crafting an everexpanding science that can hardly be all listed on a wiki 2 weeks after release. Thats hard I know cause people are very exhaustive and clever... but I think its doable if the goal is making the multiplayer world live for a long time after all the expansions have been released. Nobody could give me a clear answer about that issue however :(

I just hope this world will become like UO and that people will have museums 10 years from now and still have memorials a living story and all the great things we can still see in EA's UO even after they totally broke the game's initial intentions and artistic direction. To me that talks alot about how loyal the playerbase really is... for example some types of woods could be overharvested and the specie would completely disapear, making items made with that wood extremely rare and valuable... etc...

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

well to clarify the thread, I just want to know if the trees in the store will be able to be grown in game. I actually like the exploration of more avenues within though! :)

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yes yes, keep giving ideas...

maybe trees grown in certain soils could be stronger or have even magical properties... this way perhaps a tree grown in the north which has very short growing period would make better musical instruments (ala stradivarius ?)

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

from what I see there is a sharp inbalance so far from the virtuous, and the non virtuous. I would like some input on the anti virtues if there are any in this episode. But yes, I am all about the anti virtues as you can tell lol

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Forest Dweller like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

In the last hangout, probably in response to my question, the devs said fruit-bearing trees will be grow-able; that they'll be part of the farming system.

But I hope non-fruit bearing trees are also grow-able and harvestable. For example, you could harvest from an oak both branches to make a wreath with, or do other things with, which would make great decoration, and acorns. Oaks are on the add-on store. Palms too, which should have dates or coconuts. Spruce trees are also on the store, which would make great wreaths.

I hope these all eventually make it into the farming system, and the difference between in-game trees and add-on bought trees is two-fold: 1. the bought trees are imported into the game fully grown and don't need to be cared for but can't be harvested from: for all purposes, they're just decoration trees for things like POTs. 2. the in-game trees need to be cared for (but probably don't die if you don't care for them) but also are harvestable.

Aside from trees, I'm also wondering about other things in the add-on store or pledge rewards. For example, we have pets like ravens and owls. Will we ever see these birds in nature? I hope so. Excluding them from the world would make the world much more dull. But, if so, I would think they would be tame-able just like every other creature in the wilds.

There could be differences between add-on and in game pets, too. For example, non-combat but immortal vs. combat-enabled but able to die.

So hopefully they make all these things available in-game, but have differences between the in-game and add-on items.

smack, mbomber, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Redfish! Where are the owls in the Add on Store!

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Wasn't there a barn owl pledge reward?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

if it is I have not seen it, but that does not make me right.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

[​IMG]
    Founder's citizen

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

aye, I have not seen it!

20. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I would not expect UO Botany to exist in Episode 1 of SotA, do you know how complex the UO planting, cultivating, watering, poisoning, growing plant system is? It isn't simple. I did grow a good 40 plants in UO, it wasn't easy, but it was fun. But it's too complex to pile on to a game that has a finite number of resources still working on completing the kickstarter promises. It'd be something I'd like to see in Episode 2 or 3 though, but I'd prefer to see ridable mounts and pack animals first. And small quest-related awesomeness such as buildable humanoid Automatons and phoenix's that lay phoenix eggs. Everyone wants something beyond the kickstarter goals, growing plants isn't going to be #1 on everyone's list.

I'm still waiting for dead creepy trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.