True concerns about the future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thorgred, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I think they have many options as to how they could monetize the game, should the need arise. Right now I do think they need to roll out new content a bit faster. Like a drake...asap! ;)

Nikko likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well everything is speculation but I feel the game will go on and on for many years and why do I speculate this way? Well this is a very young game for one thing. Until a few months ago the item count was horrible, the amount of quests was even worse in amounts, the world was much smaller and many cloned scenes with little variety. Many features are still bare bones such as agriculture, fishing, pvp, much of the UI. We don't yet even have our looking for group which is being built now.

Mounts are coming in Episode 2 and boating and you think players will not come to see things like that. We have treasure hunting coming in, raids and castle sieges are coming in, and during all of the bigger things that come in, from our feedback who knows what else coolness we will get.

Players have left and come back and left and come back and that will continue. I say let's give it a chance to flourish. If you want something or don't see it create threads about it complete with pictures and step by step of how you see it working. You may not think they see it but then one day you see it in game or at least a piece of your idea. Imagine when the devs are building this game for us if they could just jump on the forum and see all of our feedback for things and examples. I'm sure they would love it.

I've been here since 2013 steadily and I have seen many come back awe struck by what has been accomplished in the last few months. So as to my answer, we can speculate all we want but until the game has some time and more complete and balanced out systems under its belt then there is only speculation on a very young game. So just imo. *cheers*

3. Thorgred

Thorgred Avatar

After all these years i heard alot of what comes in the future. Stuff like group finder, guild system, hide helm or alliance chat should be included 2 years ago and they didnt had time for it. I dont expect i will come this year either. But more important is the game now, not Episode 2.
    The Game reviews show that they launched to early and they have to fight against the negative feedback with fixing old stuff, these also means they do not have the time for new content until they get it done.

But isnt that already a bad sign when people cant enjoy the game like it is now and decide to come back when they invested more work into it? This was ok pre-launch, but not now.

My personal opinion about the state of the game is: if Porta announces an crowdfunding campain for Episode 2 in the next couple of month, we know the budget is gone and they make not enough money.

Smitty, Sir_Hemlock and Deadly Habit like this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I do not agree with you. What disadvantage are you talking about? Please explain.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't agree with you and that is ok. If you have concerns that is fine. I just don't share them all. I trust this development team to keep making this game for us as long as they can. I am just playing the game and giving feedback as you are, well or speculations as thread is. If you have an a constructive feedback chart to give with ideas that is one thing. If you are new and haven't hung in there no matter what with this game and may not then that is your choice and I'm not saying that is your choice or putting words in your mouth. That is my choice to be here giving constructive feedback as much as I can while playing most aspects of the game and testing out the systems for the Devs. I try to keep positive and find patience to let the devs build the game but we hall have our days when patience cannot be found. So I am not saying I'm perfect at all or you are wrong to feel the way you do. I am just staying strong for this game and strong for giving feedback more than speculating on what if. If I have a serious concern I will talk to a dev about it which I have in all these years. I try not to bug them but I have made a comment directly to them when I feel it is totally warranted. ;)

Of course I want things too as you hear if you read any of my posts. Fishing for example is a continually pushed system and why because some water needs updated or so I hear. Episode 2 will not happen for a year or so probably. Fishing, agriculture, looking for group, continuous improvements to the UI, more quests, more items, and performance improvements, an more items are now things are now things.

So I'm not sure why you are mentioning episode 2, well perhaps since I did mention it because I am excited for mounts and want to do horse racing, and boating and sea monsters. I have always been excited for those systems. So much so I bought the complete stretch goal for these things when there was a stretch goal for them and that was not cheap to do even though we did not make the stretch goals. It wasn't the time for them yet anyway. So for now I do have a set of boats and mounts waiting for the system to be implemented one day. I feel it is more than ok imo to let new players know what is coming. To me the future is exciting. I have been here seeing the one room we only had with a chicken, no combat, then only Owlshead no other place to go. We could only play 3 days a month for quite sometime and there was absolutely nothing to do but test what there was and then later we got a hat quest every release as one thing to do besides testing for the team. But to me Yes it is very exciting but sometimes difficult, and yes very difficult to wait for anything more to come in *sighs*. Then the last few months it skyrocketed. Tons of things started to come in and I really don't expect this to slow down at all which I have seen it is not. Sorry I don't have more old pics to share with ya all but just a few I pulled out to show the past a bit. ;) ok I'm sorry I will let you continue your conversation. Sorry to derail. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. eli

eli Avatar

I don't know the terms of the latest funding series but I'm pretty sure it's over. Beyond that, you are buying entertainment, not investing. If you are speculatively buying things for profit, you are owed no expectations.

Hurricane and Jens_T like this.
  7. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

But it is fair to be wary about making cash shop purchases, especially the bigger ticket items, if there's a chance there's no game in the near future. Personally I don't think SoTA is in peril at the moment, but it's not an unreasonable concern for someone to have

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I see more players coming through S Mart Factorium every day. I see more sticking around as well.

The free trail gives everyone a chance to try for free, so no new players should feel burned. The ones who stay, stay because they like/love it.

Shroud seems to have nailed a lot of different activities, even though some of them are still rough around the edges.

The developers listen (new JUMP coming! That should help a lot in future reviews. Plenty of other examples exist of them listening to us as well).

The developers crank out a new update every month like an unstoppable force.

In Steamcharts we now have almost as many players on on average as we had at the maximum day on February, and it keeps going up daily. (For those who aren't familiar, those aren't everyone who is playing, many use the Launcher, available on the main website under your account page, and those aren't tracked by Steam.)

We are on the rise, and it's fantastic!

//I feel like we're in the early colonial period of Novia. Discovery period is over. There were casualties. Some prospered, some sold out and went back to Earth. Some towns have been set up and are prospering, but others are waiting for their perfect Governor to show up and take over.

There is still a LOT to be done, with a place for everyone who wants to participate. Now is a great time to get in, make your mark, and carve out your piece of the virtual pie.

Khiara, Thwip, Bigg and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

If you use the 50k players needed stated above I think that SOTA will have a difficult time getting that.

Smitty likes this.
  10. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

ROFL ... People really do have too much time on there hands to be thinking about this! Keep an eye on the telethon each month, the game is doing fine and only going to get batter! I feel the tone of a Casual Complainer buried under this post!

11. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Without needed numbers, they simply won't make any new episodes, and multiplayer SoTA will eventually die, as well. They've said this a few times, that after Episode one release, they will have to see how things go and decide, if it is even worth it to make Episode 2 and up. Which makes a lot of sense. If only a few thousand people ever play it, what's the point? They'll never be able make enough money. SoTA already has one of the slowest game development cycle on the gaming market, why make another bastard child of an episode that only a handful of few people will enjoy...

Thorgred likes this.
  12. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

You are an optimist, my friend. I hope it will be enough for Port to make new episodes, while also supporting and improving the first one... Telethon only shows small part of the picture... The whole picture looks a lot different.

13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Prophets are fake, no need to start believing people who are saying they are one now.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The OP's concern seem to be valid. However, it's not any different from the concerns other people have since back in 2014 or even earlier. Yet here we are still playing the game or talking/complaining about it somewhere whether in forums, websites, and/or discord channels. I don't anticipate there is going to be a big change to the trend.

As far as investment go, I would put money just enough to get me to enjoy the current contents and refrain from putting things for future speculation. Historically, I have not seen many people getting rich in cash from buying things early on and sell later for big profits, except maybe for COTO traders (but that's mostly in-game gold profits, which potentially can translate back to cash from trading). Not so much for rare/lot deed buyers on the other hand. It's better just buy thing you want to use and enjoy it.

Spinok likes this.
  15. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I agree, but from the other side there is no alternatives in "not Chinese" fantasy hardcore mmo with RMT on the market. So I`m pretty sure in Sota future ;)

16. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Because most MMOs don't have officially allowed RMT due to the issues it causes.
    Besides legal issues that can arise from country to country, here's a new concern about money laundering which PC Gamer had an article about a couple days back. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-microtransactions-and-in-game-currencies-can-be-used-to-launder-money/

Xandra7 likes this.
  17. Koss

Koss Avatar

I am seeing people EVERYWHERE.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  18. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I have to say that is an interesting statement considering just about every top rated MMORPG type game out today that boasts the highest subscriptions is several years old if not more and most had pretty instant success much more than SOTA has seen to date.

Actually looking at top rated MMORPGS i find that pretty much none of the top rated ones with high active subs were crowd funded games.... interesting to think about actually. Non crowd funded games with investors and stakeholders etc that they HAVE to answer to appear to be more successful in the SHORT and LONG run than crowd funded games, but i guess that depends on how you define successful. I think the crowd fund concept is really cool at its core, however, i havent seen it work. Unless the intent is to raise a ton of money but not put out a longterm sustainable product.

all these MMORPG games these days are just crazy. I think Chronicles of Elyria may be my last crowd funded game until i can see a studio successful with that model (which i hope they are).

I can't speak for everyone but i can say for me I WISH A REAL DEVELOPER would come out and create some magic. None of this crowd funded non sense but a true game like the old school Ultima, EQS, and yes though i hate to say it Wows. I would happily pay a sub between 10-50 bucks a month to play a real new concept MMORPG. A game that has content, PvP, and non insanely broken systems. A game that is not pay to win, but sub based rather and amount of time put in reaps rewards, but at the same time theres a point where everyone can catch up to eachother level/experience wise. Sure people with more time may have alot more rares, or $$ than you but thats ok as long as your base char are on par with one another.

Anyway i personally dont see anything with SOTA changing, the game is what it is. Im not saying its bad, not saying its good. Its either for you or its not. If you like it the way it is continue spending $$ if not time to let that ship sail and move on to your next idealistic game.

19. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Must have spent 2 much

20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Camalot Unchained is going to be a pretty real comparison for SoTa IMo. I been following both since start. More focused on Daoc style then being a hybrid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.