Turning PvP back off

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by KnownInGameAsGeorge, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

I tried PvP for a few days, wanted to have a bit of a play in the new PvP area. I never did get to fight anybody, but I did get robbed in town while I was carrying crafting supplies.

It really seems like it is just a justification for griefing, and that does not interest me.

Not really an experience I am keen on repeating, so going back to the oracle and puting my wards back up.

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

PVP zones needs to be more interesting. I agree so far PVP has been nothing but FFA Dayz... Exactly what we didnt want it to be. Some aspects of it are cool, but overall we need more structure in the world. Guilds needs to play a role in it and maybe the Virtues vs Anti Virtues become a thing. I am glad they left the Tourney and BG stuff out of the equation. As it would make SotA more into a theme park than it already is, and we would finally get rid of the sandbox idea... Hope that doesnt happen.

3. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Lack of interesting features is not what put me off. Blood bay is quite good, if there had been a fight there I would have loved to be a part of it.

I spent the last three days traveling a PvP zone and had great fun. It is getting robbed in town that I dont find acceptable. Some ass has just taken my things while I was busy with something else and then treated it like he had done me a favor by robbing me.

I have of course blocked him. And would simply kill next time I see him, if I werent turning PvP off, like I would anyone who stole from me. But getting revenge on some jerk whose name I already forgot is not worth my time, easier to just turn off PvP and not turn it back on so it cant happen again.

4. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I could find his name.

Can we have a feature where I report to the town crier that I caught him stealing and have the guards attack him every time he enters a town please.

5. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

How about the ability to place a bounty on someone who kills you or steals from you... and a public bounty board.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I still don't understand why stealing was added to the game.

Chatele, Koldar, Dantuin and 2 others like this.
  7. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I do like it as an idea, but in practice that is only going to cost the people who were robbed even more money, and will turn griefing into a sport.

Instead how about the guards attack them in every city, but only for the things they get caught stealing. Then if they want they can pay ten times what they stole as a fine to have the attacks stop.

Serious thieves would just have to navigate and fight through towns with a heavy guard presence, or sell their stolen things at a less guarded town.

8. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Reality I guess. In reality though people suck, and I dont need that In a fantasy game.

Chatele, Koldar, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Wait pixels don't have feelings.... stop that your ruining my immersion.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In a functional PVP environment, stealing can be a fantastic and meaningful reason to fight someone.

For example, if there were NPC guards that helped protect players that didn't want to be on full alert 24x7, the guy in the OP could've relaxed a bit more and not gotten his stuff taken. That's what normal players would want, they get back to town and it's relatively safe to buy and sell things, talk to other players, and generally take a break from the action.

But what we have now is a system that is broken, it's PVP for the sake of PVP. This leads to abuse by people that are only out for their own enjoyment at the expense of others (with no checks and balances). These people would still be in the game if NPC guards were functional, they just wouldn't be as annoying or effective inside of well guarded towns.

We'll get there eventually, but until we do stealing will continue to be hard to justify.

georgegad, Chatele, Adam Crow and 6 others like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

@georgegad which town were you in when this happened? Were you AFK or interacting with a merchant when it happened?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Exactly.

I also want do add:
    imo buffing PVP flagged players with something like 10% more XP made zero sense.
    The 10% xp boost didn't improve PVP at all (as i already expected), it only improved the CP farmers.

It's the same like it was before, with or without the 10% XP boost.

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Let's hope portalarium develops more PvP and MP exclusive Zones for people who don't use them, don't enjoy the game, dont even play the game, but still complaining over tons of issues they have and what they don't get but strongly want and need to play like they want to play.

To give my playstyle some more meaning I would love to have a glas sphere decoration with electricity flashs in it or some cool wisp effecfts to place it on my round table in the conspiracy room.
    Wait this is bad, it would a developer cost time and they just sell it in the Shop, that's bad for the game, it's better to have 5 developers work for month to create something nobody uses.

But hej we have one lucky Thief who pickpocket some crap after hours of lurking in the zone.

Portalarium would better create meaningfull and varied PvE and make the game the best PvE Coop game what ever exists, instead of developing scenes no one enters and just a really small percentage of players is interested in.

14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Oh come on man - if you want a crystal ball just ask - they don't develop that stuff anyway - I think it all mostly comes from the Unity asset store. Secondly, you don't know the specifics of what happened. The OP could have been AFK, at a crafting station, talking to a merchant, checking out a vendor, talking with a Town Crier, etc... It's not the pickpocket mechanic that's ruining lives here - that skill isn't even a threat anymore - it was nerfed into oblivion - the only thing Portalarium has left to do is remove it completely from the game. Thirdly... you'd think with all the PVP scenes maybe Portalarium will be implementing a plan to advertise the game to a PVP crowd soon. This being pre-launch super alpha mode phase, there's just not a lot of combat because it's too frustrating for most people - combat in general needs a lot of work. It'll change at launch and PVP will kick into high gear.

Anyone truly interested in PVP needs to only flag and start learning how SotA does PVP. There aren't ever going to be any guards... The virtue system is for the storyline... There's going to be a PVP housing scene and the scenes with Obsidian PVP themes are going to be incredible - people will PVP - folks just gotta accept what PVP is in SotA first. Things will change at launch when the world fills up with Steam accounts.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I am not a PvP player, not interested in this even if there are many "incentives". But I understand its importance and that many others like it. But I see that there are many complaints about the game in general. For PvP it's not meaningful enough, there is no reason to do it, there are griefers and gankers etc. For PvE we don't have choices with lasting consequences, too few quests etc.

As a game that wants to cater to so many different gamers (single player fans, PvE fans, PvP fans) the game simply cannot satisfy all. For the game to really shine in PvP and be a really great PvP game the game would need to focus solely on PvP. With the SP and PvE parts of the game, many PvP ideas and features can't make it into the game because they would have a negative impact on the other gameplay modes. The same the other way around.
    I believe that SotA is a game for those who are willing to have many compromises in a game. People who expect a great PvP game will be disappointed as will people who expect a great SP or PvE game. SotA is a mix, a game for those who want to play such a mix. Who are ok that the PvP will not be as great as in a PvP-only game, who are ok with the PvE not being as great as in PvE-only games and who are ok with a SP part that is not as great as in other SP-only games. SotA is a game of compromises.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Exactly this!

I wasn't annoyed , I just said what I said before, I think portalarium should save the time to develop PvP exclusive content and put it into varied PvE and Story things.
    Just because there are less PvPers and all the PvP scenes are empty and wasted space.
    Theres ist absolutely nothing that justifies this zones to be forcing PvP and MP.
    Some days of a spawncamping fest and then everything was over.
    Same for Ruins and Shardfalls, same for XP Bonus, same for everything they will do to enlive PvP. Serious PvPers play open FFA sandbox PvP games.
    The Meaning you/we need is not exclusiveness.
    Who wants PvP should flag, always , everywhere, no need to lock off people from whatever.
    With no possible balance and this small playerbase, do you really think portalarium can get 1000-2000 prople constantly playing the game ?
    With Advertisement? Man, everybody who is interested is already here. The reviews and press is bad.
    The game is a grind, the game has people allowed to exploit after last wipe and therefore we have totally op players, the game offers housing only to people who have a lot of money or insane amount of time to play.
    Well, it's a niche game and I doubt we will see playing a lot more players after release. There will be some new players but to make it to PvP and Bloodbay or some t5 Ruins and Shardfalls they need to play along the road and grind a lot, do you think there will be 1000 active players and 200 online at the same time to have enlived PvP scenes? Well, I do not , sorry!

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I am still very interested to see how SotA will be advertised when the real marketing starts - without annoying the playerbases.

How will they try to bring in those PvP players who expect a hardcore, true and thorough PvP experience when the game also offers flagging, single player scenes, PvE content and a story?
    How will they try to bring in the PvE players who are not interested in PvP but read that there are scenes in which you have to do PvP when you want to enter them (even story-related scenes)?
    How will they try to bring in the SP players when the game plays and feels like a MMORPG and when there are no choices with real and lasting consequences?

I am really excited to see how the devs try to manage this...

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Keep in mind that PvP zones such as shardfalls, ruins, and blood bay are PvP flagged by overriding. You don't need to turn on the flag yourself.

So ideally, you will keep the flag off while being elsewhere and when you hit the PvP zone, it will override that flag and turn it off when you leave. That will save you some time from having to go to the Oracle.

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The game will last in it's current state relied to players and of course it's a good and a great game, I like to play it, but I doubt it will see a huge impact of players, even if they do a big advertisement campaign.
    The best Advertisement is player recommendations , videos , tutorials....
    For germanspeaking there is really less stuff and germany is a big MMORPG market.
    The german community is really small, although I know some germansspeaking players play international.

The Game would profit from specializing , what doesn't mean PvP should cut of, but means that it should have a minor role and just an option, because there will always be just a few people participating in PvP in this game.
    It is from everything what was developed until now more a game for people who like housing, decorating, roleplaying, Coop PvE content playing.
    And people who like those features are often no PvPers.
    PvPers like PvP, period!
    And PvP is about ... well a lot of thing most people here don't need, don't want, don't participate in.
    Just a fact and therefore they should concentrate and try to bring more variations and stuff into PvE than watts time into developing PvP content.
    Nobody is taking care of it, just 5-10 people complaining on the forums don't get that they've missed the boat.

Of course they should leave PvP flag as an option, but that's all, if you want to PvP , flag!

Neither XP Bonus or exclusive scenes nor special environments with factions and more let people play PvP.
    The "UO successor" calls are from people!E who want pre Trammel PvP with a meaning!

The meaning is powerplay to the people! Nothing else. If you argue or criticise they say it's roleplaying or the reward for playing serious and put into a lot of "work" .
    You all know what I already said before.

C'mon you all know it, play darkfall, play Rust or something where the nice guys play PvP !!!

I am fine I love to play the game!
    I just avoid every competetive aspect of it because to me it's a good cooperative and roleplay environment !!!

Dantuin likes this.
  20. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Send me a whisper and I will stop whatever I am doing and head over to Blood Bay.

Aldo and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.