Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Turning while rooted

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Lazlo, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xail

Xail Avatar

Thx for the info...

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Root used to be even stronger. A few releases ago, magic was very underpowered and I couldn't survive any attack without rooting my opponent first. The root duration was nerfed in subsequent releases, and the duration was so short that I had to cast it over and over again. I used a random deck and had Root in almost all the slots as well as being locked. Against groups it helped, but as soon as one mob got rooted, another got free again. Where I really liked it was in party combat. I could root the opponents of my party members to make it easier for them to kill the mobs. And I could root wolves and bears chasing deer so the deer could escape :)

I can't imagine that Root is as useful with the new targeting system right now, because I can't accurately target what I want to hit with any spell. I'd be rooting pigs and bunnies all day. So I've switched from Earth magic to Air magic and don't use Root at all any more.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Roycestein Kaelstrom, Aldo and Lazlo like this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Does root not work against Trolls/Ghost Corpion or other bosses still? I say this because last release, root WAS working well against Trolls for example, I also noticed the same on the Ghost Corpion. Root used to work to hold them both down. Then after they nerfed it (I heard it was bugged??), root doesn't want to work at all on them.. just a quick little blip of the icon showing on their buff bar. Root still does not work.. is this spell supposed to be a little mob only spell? Anyone want me to bug report it, or is this working better for them?

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Xail like this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

I don't know, if I was stuck because some giant roots sprung out of the ground and grabbed my legs all the way to my knees (or pelvis), I don't think I'd be able to turn around either.

I like it.

5. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. i have a level 73 Root with 43 Earth Attunement..my total duration is 11.7 seconds.
    When I cast it on a melee, it works quite well. But against something as weak as a Large Skeletal Footman, it only lasts about 6-8 seconds.

Against any "boss" mobs it does literally nothing.

If you want to get a CC nerf going, take a look at the Air stuns because those are simply out of control.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Aldo and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

It's strange seeing these comments that "that is by design", because it would make much more sense for root to last 15 seconds (or whatever it is) if the root was dispelled as soon as the target took damage.

Isn't that the way paralyse spells or other types of roots normally work in other games? Otherwise you just get these permanent stunlocks.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Noric

Noric Avatar

We have that mechanic in the game - its called "mesmerize". Its in both the moon and sun trees but no one really uses it because it is entirely outclassed by most of the other CC.

(I really like the moon version... but everything else is so strong)

8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

You're right (I've actually got the moon version, though I thought was vs animals only). Either way, that's how it should work.

The alternative I can think of that doesn't really work is to have a stronger mesmerise where they can still attack but just can't move. The problem there is it hurts anyone in melee while completely protecting anyone (including most mages) in ranged.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's pretty common in games to have a "chance to break". The root would test the victim's resistance every second or so and any damage taken would increase the odds of breaking the CC.

Quenton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.