Ultima is more than just UO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think this is a really good point for new players to jump in.

SotA doesn't continue Ultima lore. It tries to implement concepts and themes from older games, but it is a new world and a new setting.

Sebastion and Doctor like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Both lore wise and game play SotA is very much it's own and anything you wish to know can be found here somewhere.

Sebastion and Doctor like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Each of the original Ultima games was written pretty much like any good story should be written: you could pick up everything without having played the previous games. You were never required to play them or know what the stories were about. Knowing the previous games only enriched the experience, because the references took on a deeper dimension.

In SotA, the previous lore won't be very significant at all because its a whole new world, for copyright reasons if nothing else -- but I'm in some ways it will be the same thing -- I'm sure there will be references like names, etc. that old players will be able to smile at -- but nothing real important to playing the game and going through the story.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ahh, I read the title here and though oh boy, this won't end well...good to see that it is proceeding well.

I too lament that the fondness that I have for the original games isn't shared by a lot of posters on here.

When talking about the virtues you get asked about the virtue wheel...heh.

I'm sure many have their reasons for loving UO for what it was...I didn't so much, mostly because it brought to an end the ultima series....ultima 9 did come out but it was shallow compared to others.
    I never saw UO as an ultima, more a semi fantasy medieval sim that shared nothing with the original games other then names of cities, some inventory items and a very basic version of virtues...

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't know that you could play and appreciate Ultima V or Ultima VI in particular without knowledge of IV.

However, if you bought those games back then they came with nice physical manual/books that explained the story and setting to help catch you up.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  6. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

That's a relief. Appreciate the feedback. I think i'll start with giving Tracy hickman's Blade of the Avatar a read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.