Ultima Online Like Recall Spell

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by CMDRVortex, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

The overland map, at least what I've seen so far, is a bit slow, and this is on a small island. I'd love to see the option of Mark/Recall spells.

Bodhbh Dearg and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

The issue might not be as much with locations across the world, but more or less with selected location (a good vendor, a nice museum, a guild house or the friends lot), which you pay regularly visits and do not wish to travel each time 10 or more minutes to reach the spot (walk to the borders of your own hex, travel overland to the target hex, find the target on that hex).

3. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

As long as such spells abide to, hopefully implemented, rules that prevent logoff in pvp situations I guess its not too bad. Still, we already have moon gates and I dont think we need anything that makes the world "smaller" by allowing quick travel anywhere.

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  4. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Exactly!

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

[​IMG]

Unfortunately Sir Dupre, you don't. Because paladins would later receive the chivalry skill which would include an ability much like the mage spell. It was a spell that everyone had and made the world feel small and insignificant at times...

While I don't like to admit it, I think this is an ability that classic World of Warcraft got right. In World of Warcraft, each player has a "Hearthstone" which originally had a 1 hour cool down. This would return you to an inn, generally with the intent of logging out in a hurry as resting in an inn generated an experience bonus over time. Fast travel between areas was achieved by flying mount. You first had to visit the area and speak with the flight master to "unlock" that zone. When using the flying mount (which had a high cost) you would then watch the mount itself as it flew between zones. It was not an instant flight and loading screen.

These flight zones were eventually surpassed by your own flying mount. However in the event you wanted to take a break or "autopilot", this is when the flight masters retained their usefulness.

Mages had further usefulness in a group as they could create portals to teleport you between major cities and warlocks, with the help of other players, could summon party members to any location in the game.

These skills were later rendered useless and trivial thanks to "instant dungeon teleport stones" and all the "dungeon lobby" features WoW has since introduced and ruined the scope of the world.

6. raditzu

raditzu Avatar

It looks like You were never flying from Darnassus to Tanaris... FAST it was in Lineage 2, where one could teleport instantly to the other end of the continent.

Mark rune/recall spells were just purrfect for crafters. Marking "sweet spots" of some decent resources (after finding it first) would make crafting little more enjoyable - of course after learning skills enough to cast those spells.
    Noone said that there can't be any mage-miner-blacksmith...

7. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

My few coppers worth. First, I loved mark, recall, and gate in UO and my scribe made her living from selling scrolls for them, with recall scrolls being the best seller. (don't leave home without one, hehe) So I'm biased. :)

I've read through most of the thread, and it appears that most (granted, not all) of the objections are pvp concerns. I haven't finished reading all of the posts yet so forgive me if this has been said or if anyone thinks it's silly. Why not just disable recall for those who are pvp-flagged. Wouldn't that be the simplest way to make both groups happy? They could still have gates maybe, in certain situations or certain areas? I don't pvp so I obviously can't see all the ramifications for pvp folks. I just think that if something is a negative for pvp, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a negative for pve as well.

And as a pve player, I always hate to see cool features being denied us, or nerfed into oblivion, because of pvp concerns. In fact that is one of the only, but biggest, problems I see when pvp and pve are mixed in the same area. It's a fine-wire balancing act that few games have ever been able to pull off without being in a constant state of one side or the other ticked off at any given time.

I think SWG did a good job with this. And from what I've read so far with this game, they're definitely on the right track to pulling it off. I would love to see recall be one of the things they decide to include.

docdoom77, Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  8. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

+ 1 for Mark/Recall, which are disabled during PvP.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I loved the making of runes and rune books. Would like to see it in this game just my .02

10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm... Given Richard's interest in chokepoints (as mentioned in the recent hangout) :

I wonder how the ability to simply recall past that chokepoint would fit into the team's design ?

Perhaps a Recall spell would need to perform some sort of routing check to ensure that the Overworld path was passable prior to succeeding.

docdoom77 likes this.
  11. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

I'm betting it's also something to do with those tesla tower things. The way it affects PVP combat it'll probably affect spells and anything else that would allow you to circumvent the action.

12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, I can see that as well, if you are attempting to recall right into a conflict zone.

However, I'm more concerned about where say Hilt is under contention, stopping players from crossing the mountains to reach the cities on the other side. If one can simply recall from Kiln to Jaanaford to circumvent the chokepoint, then it sort of defeats the purpose. :)

13. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Hmm, I don't know, I seem to remember seeing or hearing something (I think was RG but not sure), about when there's a choke point, having to either team up to clear it, or find a way around it. For finding a way around it, I got the impression he meant either recall or a moongate or something. But like I said, I don't really remember for sure. Just the impression I came away with. I'll have see if I can dig that up again.

I demand a hot air balloon!! (oops, did I say that out loud?) :)

crossbowsoda and NRaas like this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Sounds reasonable, provided the solution is not trivial. I'm all for a Recall spell in this circumstance, as long as it takes a lot of effort to perform the spell.

Simply being a certain skill level and being able to cast the spell perfectly would make it far too easy to bypass any conflict scenarios, rendering the whole concept of chokepoints less substantive than it could otherwise be. :)

15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I think the gate would take you to the overland map the same as if you were exiting the map on an edge.

I think the teleport and recall are both needed as well... I noticed that when I have functional teleports in a game I am much more likely to play it for extended periods of time... it removes the irritating wait timers between what you want to do. Travel is important to the adventurer but is an irritant to the people trying to gather just so they can go out to do something else only to realize they left that one thing at their guild hall and have to spend 45 minutes to get started on their adventure...

two thumbs up for teleport/recall/lunar rift spells.

16. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

+1 for mark/recall ( except when in combat ).

17. Zickey

Zickey Avatar

it will make my insides sad if there is no mark / recall

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Personal recall off marked runes = NO

"Lunar Rift" portals off marked runes for high skilled mages = Yes

Ned888 and Dean478 like this.
  19. Curt

Curt Avatar

So should 'lunar magic' have a spell that takes you towards nearest lunar rift?

Seeing how is 3 big cities one that use wind one water and one earth power.
    could also have one spell to each of them at the top of that trees.

Earth - Resolute
    Air - Aerie
    Water - Ardoris

20. Guards

Guards Avatar

+1 for mark and recall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.