Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

"Ultimate RPG" vs. SotA - Reduction in Steps for Entry Needed

Discussion in 'Release 51 QA Feedback Forum' started by Crazy Phil, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I though it might be fun and interesting to review some of the conceptual information, comparing it to where we are now. Looking for some of that low-hanging fruit!! :)

What is a Lord British “Ultimate” Role Playing Game?

"let’s look at two hypothetical versions of Ultima Online. Version A is the version that was shipped. You drive to the store to buy it, pay $50, drive home, go through a lengthy install, subscribe for $10+ / month, create a character, get dropped into the virtual world, and about 4 hours later, you have explored the game far enough to know it’s amazing. Now imagine version B of the same game. You receive a link from a friend and click on it. You start to play immediately for free. The install and intro to the game has been written in a way that you understand the game within minutes…not hours. After you have played long enough to know it’s worth the money, you are asked to pay by whatever method you find acceptable. I would argue that with these otherwise identical games, version B would totally dominate, because it was in fact a better game and better game experience."
    - Lord British

So, here we are. How many clicks does it take to enter the game currently?
    1. Launch the game (via launcher or Steam)
    2. Click "Play"
    3. Click "I understand this game is unfinished and I am entering a Construction Zone."
    4. Click "Play" (Online or Offline)
    5. Click "Login" or "Login through Steam"
    6. Click "Resume" or "Start on World Map"
    When we "launch" SotA, we can remove step 3, but isn't there a "Terms" page that you have to accept as well? So, we'd still be at 6 steps...

Let's compare UO (using Renaissance client for reference):
    1. Launch the game
    2. Click "Play" Arrow
    3. Select Shard
    4. Click "Play" Arrow
    5. Select Character
    6. Click "Play" Arrow
    ...and that reminds me. We can't even switch characters yet. That brings SotA to about 7 steps, right? Not even mentioning the additional steps for either game when installing and creating a character for the very first time, plus the load time.

We may never be able to hit the original concept for the "Ultimate RPG"... but if we remove a few steps... even just one...

...we'd be that much closer. ;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

So we need a Trial launcher that bypasses all of this. Click, signs in through Steam or an email address (no password/signups yet), and drops you immediately into the Isle of Storms.

Play for as long as you want. When you exit, you are prompted to create an account. You can then continue from where you stopped.

3. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Something like that would be absolutely beautiful to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.