Under The Protection Of The "Dark Unicorn"...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

This is a true event that happened to me & is not indulged in any way...​

I had seen the white unicorns & their foals (baby horse) before, running through Encounters. But last week i was in a Plains Encounter & i saw this message come up, "You Sense A Powerful Entity Near" or something to that effect. Now the first time i saw that message i never saw anything at all & the second time i saw it, there was a big grey bear running towards me. I thought oh cool a bear, ill kill it no problem...well...it was a Grey Obsidian Bear & one or two wacks of his paw later i lay dead at his feet...

So when i saw the message again i braced myself for a fight & waited...& waited...& finally off in the distance i saw a black horse & its 2 foals, but at that time i didnt realize it was a Dark Unicorn because of 2 reasons. One it never got close enough for me to see the horn & two, well, i didnt know they existed in the game. But from that time on in probably 85-90% of my "Encounters", sooner or later she would show up with her two little ones. Sometimes id stop my mining & watch, on some occasions id wave & kneel or crouch & watch. Their very beautiful, graceful & sometimes comical (the foals) to watch.

Well...last night i was in a rare (for me) Forest Encounter & sure enough they showed up & this time almost immediately after i arrived. As i looked around when i got in I saw 4 bears, 2 of them Grizzlies, as i carefully walked along the edge looking for ore. I had no sooner started to mine a silver vein when i heard a gutteral roar from behind me, i guess i didnt see the 5th one, because as i turned i saw a very large bear charging towards me & i knew by the color what he was...an Obsidian.

As i back up a bit, drew my weapon & braced myself for the inevitable fight that was about to ensue, i saw a black blur & all of a sudden from nowhere came the Dark Unicorn. She quickly placed herself between myself & the Obsidian & then rearing back on her hind legs started to pummel the bear with her front hooves. It took me a second or so to realize what was going on, but when i did i got next to her & we both proceeded to combat the big grey Obsidian. It wasnt very long (probably 10 seconds or so im not sure) before the Obsidian lay dead in front of us. Then as quickly as she came, was gone again, running with her foals on the other side of the road.

Now when im in a forest encounter i have a system, i go around the outside first, then come down through the middle on the road scanning both sides of it for Maple & Pine trees. So as i was finishing the first outside wall, getting ready to go across the road & check the far side for ore...i noticed something. I hadnt seen or heard any of the other bears. I figured maybe i wasnt paying attention or they were just to far away for me to hear...until i found one...well his carcass that is. I had seen dead ones before in encounters & it usually meant a Stag or Wolf had killed it. So as i was walking along the side checking things...i saw another carcass...then another...& another, until i knew there was only one left by my count i had made earlier when i arrived. Then i heard it...another roar & as i came around a huge rock i saw her. The Dark Unicorn was fighting the last bear, a Grizzly. I had no sooner saw them fighting & it was over. Again the female stood there with another dead bear at her hooves. I walked half way over to her when she turned & started to come towards me. My first thought was go for the exit. I had that message in my mind from earlier that week that said i sensed a powerful entity approaching. So i thought she was coming for me next. But something flashed through my mind as i was turning to go that stopped me where i was. It was just this..."Why would she?" I turned back around to see her now standing right in front of me, an even though this is just a game, i felt a chill go down my back & arms. She motioned her head up & down a few times as she whinnied & then, as i watched, she turned & walked towards the far wall with the foals & disappeared into it.

Now, i do realize this is a game as i said earlier, but...that experience/encounter with her gave me the strongest feeling that she was protecting me & that she killed the bears so i would be safe. Maybe because i didnt try to catch her or her foals in any of the numerous Encounters from before or maybe it was because i just watched them peacefully as they ran & jumped or because thats what the algorithm that the Devs wrote told her to do...i dont really know. But as far as im concerned, it was because i was under the protection of The Dark Unicorn...

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

That's awesome.

I also met dark unicorns last night for the first time.

And it was not long before I had 2 vials of Unicorn blood and some unicorn foal slippers :)

I do have a question tho..... It's okay to kill Dark Unicorns tho right ? Because they're bad ? It's not gonna hurt my Karma ?

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I killed a bunch of dark unicorns before I finished the shroud quest and my shroud is as white as it can be so my guess is yet. Even so, I tried to balance it a bit by killing some light unicorns (3 to 1 ratio). Didnt seem to hurt that much. dunno the actual stats.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, the forest encounter is fun. Wolves/boars/bears are aggressive toward unicorns, dark or light. Since they gallop all around the scene, they end up drawing all the aggro, so you can just sit back and watch the unicorns kill everything.

I can't find exactly where (it might have been in a livestream0 but yeah, killing light unicorns lowers virtue (not sure which; usually hits to virtue by combat = courage, but given how tough unicorns are, it seems silly to dent your courage by attacking one) and killing dark ones raise it.

5. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

My intelligence got lowered by .1 point by killing white unicorns (white shroud here). No idea if strength/dexterity are affected. I gained intelligence back by killing dark unicorns. @Lord Trady of Blix @2112Starman

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That was a beautiful tale!

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

You can also talk to unicorns, although they just talk like Dogs and Cats, although the dialog line is funny.

New Skill : Speak with Animals, Earth tree. Animals have info on quests or new quests.

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The 'Hero who resists tyranny' kills unicorns? :( Black unicorn was killed by tyranny...
    Where have the heroes gone these days? ;)

9. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

I dont know, to me it would hurt me & my Karma because they helped me so i consider them a friend. But since you didnt have the same type of encounter as i did its probably a different answer.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do dark unicorns attack positive virtue avatars on sight or are they neutral?

11. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Thank you Jaesun, it was a real trip to be in it as it happened. And even though it happened in a game...its something I wont soon forget...

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Ya i looked down in chat because i saw something yellow pop in & i started laughing as i read - "Dark Unicon baby whinnies to himself & wonders as he runs past..." xD

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  13. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

I had no idea that killing certain things could raise or lower your stats, i guess i had better start reading the handbook some, lol. Although i found out if you kill cows, very angry people & some bandits come into the Encounter & try to kill you with everything from a pitchfork to a longbow & sword...[​IMG]

I was in a Plains Encounter with puppy the herd dog mining & choppin trees & was needing animal hides to make leather for some armor & i figured whats easier to kill & get hide from than a stupid cow. Well it was easy, one Searing Ray each & they dropped over. Then all of a sudden from outta nowhere runs in this dude with a pitch fork who proceeds to try to ventilate me with it. I look at him & think..."Oh ya thats gonna do you alotta good against this"....An one whack from my scythe & he was dead. So i went on & killed another, then a guy dressed in bandit garb runs in & starts pokin me with his arrows. Again i killed him, but it took a couple of hits. Well to make a long story short, before i knew it i had them running in one after another & each one was a bit tougher than the last and within a minute or two i was overwhelmed & GFOT (Got F**k Outta There)...xD So learn from my example...dont kill cows unless you wanna angry mob of pissed off beef lovers after you...:p

Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

No. They don't attack you unless you attack them. If you attack their foals, they'll just leave them to their doom, hence my slippers ;)

Barugon likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Anyone know what the benefit of unicorn hair bowstrings are yet?

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wrong! If they're close enough when you attack a foal, they come after you! Though, they didn't seem to at first. It might be new this release.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Maybe it was because I slaughtered the foals from behind while chasing after them with a fleet flute. The daddy unicorn ran off and the foals got slipperized.

If that is the case, that's the tactic folks should use because big unis are alot harder unless you've got a group.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Light is +dex and +%crit chance. Don't know about dark yet. Somebody reported getting +15 for super high virtue, but no confirmation. I've seen +6 (both) and +4.1 (both) posted to Discord.

Barugon likes this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You can still do it if you're careful.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks Cora. I think imbued bowstrings of speed are probably still better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.