Vendors Able to Buy

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Undelivered, Jun 14, 2014.

?

Would you like your vendor to be able to buy from players?

1. Yes

93.9%
  2. No

6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

I was talking with my guild, and it seems as though many of them would like it if their vendor could also buy. I imagine you would have to give your vendor gold, or he could use the gold he has already acquired from selling your finest wears and riches. It would be great so if someone was coming buy and noticed that you wanted to buy copper ore, they could sell it there. Or if down the road they were buying for more they could sell it there. It's an idea I think it would benefit everyone! Please vote! I would also like everyone's thoughts on the subject!

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You should be able to buy stuff if you either:
    a) have the item or
    b) have a rec which requires that item

3. smack

smack Avatar

The game will need to handle item "discovery", as it probably shouldn't present you with a list of all items in the game for you to specify their quantities. Handling it via recipes that you know is one way but that's a very narrow view of "discovery". Just because you don't know the recipe for crafting the Troll Slayer +1 that your friend is wielding doesn't mean that you can't put that request on your vendor. Perhaps items you've "seen" when inspecting other player's profiles is another way of "discovery".

4. Gridian

Gridian Avatar

I think that buying via vendor should work something like this:
    We tell the vendor to buy up to X amount of something, and we give him the Money needed to do so (that way an accidental spending of every coin we have by an enthusiastic vendor shoud not happen).
    The selling Player would Approach our vendor, be offered for example 21 Gold per copper ore and either sells or doesen't. Note: I have pledged last saturday, so I have not yet played - probably that example Price was somewhat ridiculous. Don't beat me for that! :cool:
    As a selling Player we could wander through towns, see who sells and buys what for which Price and do somewhat realistic Business - RP'er should agree I believe that that would be a fun minigame itself :-D

Yours,

Gridian

5. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

This could be a nice feature. It frees up resource farming needs as your wealth grows, makes sense.

Zelek Uther likes this.
  6. Zelek Uther

Zelek Uther Avatar

Is this in? Because this would be a godsend for those of us in strange IRL timezones (I'm in New Zealand), or limited in-game time.

In UO I found it difficult and frustrating trying to coordinate times to buy large volumes of raw materials from players.

lollie likes this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Vendors are not in yet, but it is coming in R15 or R16. The Devs said there will be public vendors in market areas that many players will be able to use (with fees and listing time limits). They expect them to be used even by people that have their own vendors because of the location. It seems personal vendors (from pledge rewards) may be restricted to player owned lots.

Zelek Uther and Jakdaw Foxlauden like this.
  8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

But more to the topic, allowing player vendors to purchase items from players is a great way to generate player created content. Sadly, we have heard nothing on this.

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Would be nice if your vendor could actually say, in-game, "buying copper, iron ore and wood" or whatever. Maybe limit the text to just a few items (2-4?). This would give the markets a more lively feel, make the economy/commerce more efficient/productive.

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I kind of like the idea, but thinking about it more, I think it takes away from player interaction too much. I actually like the towns bustling with people shouting their goods and negotiating prices with real people. "Dragon's for sale, 10k each, pick yer color, careful that emerald dragon is a feisty one!"

Perhaps if you could leave a note or something on a town billboard sort of item with your goods or what you would like to buy would be better, that way you're still interacting and getting to know your buyers and sellers. I know we'll have vendors that sell goods, but sometimes I just like to interact with someone I'm about to make a purchase with, or sell my goods to.

Shiva2 and Budner like this.
  11. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Its a great idea with no downside. In fact Ultima Online already did this. Just re-use the same mechanic, no need to re-invent the wheel here.

1) Take control of special stall Vendor in towns
    2) Tell vendor what types of resources you want him to buy and up to what quantity before it stops buying.
    3) set the price you want to buy at

Done. simple. same as UO.

Then people can buy up those resources as well by also setting a "sell" price.

Budner and Tahru like this.
  12. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

It looks as though I inadvertantly stole the OP's idea when I suggested this in a reply a few days ago. Whoops!

Edit: UO had this? When?? I don't remember player vendors buying stuff when I was in UO, maybe I missed it.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Yea they set up a mechanic in the last year or two where special vendors became available in these stalls they placed in towns. You could take control of them and have them buy and sell resources for you. Not a perfect system since they didnt actually make ALL vendors like the ones on your own lot able to do it, but its the same idea in essence.

Here it would be best to just allow ALL vendors to do it. Why not? Theres no downside and its early enough in the game development to make this happen, unlike in UO where changing the code for existing vendors would have broken the game most likely (the code was way old, and way complicated by that point)

Budner likes this.
  14. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I wouldn't say have ALL vendors do it... Maybe have three different tiers of vendors, each costing more than the last - Vendors (Sell), Brokers (Buy), Shop Keepers (Both).

15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Maybe this is outdated but it looks like here it was already discussed and part of a stretch goal for Episode 1
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/founders-sota-developer-q-a.6029/

Question: What degree of control will we have over NPCs we hire to perform non-combat functions (i.e., cook, gardener, stable hand, etc.) on our property?
    • For Episode 1 players we plan for players to be able to set up their NPC player vendor to sell goods to other players. The plan is that players will be able to stock the vendor with an inventory and set prices for each item. From there the vendor will work exactly like an NPC shopkeeper. A stretch goal for Episode 1 is to also allow player vendors to buy goods from players. This would be especially beneficial for crafting as players could set up their vendor to buy raw materials and sell finished goods. For later Episodes we want to greatly expand that functionality to include tasking your NPCs to refine, craft, harvest, etc. We also want to expand to include service options so that player vendors could also act as waiters, barbers, etc.

Shiva2, Budner and Tahru like this.
  16. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Great info!

There was a similar conversation over on the Economics thread, where Heradite floated the idea of wandering NPCs that were Looking to Buy. (Presumably from PCs or NPC vendors.)
    The two concepts seem to dovetail nicely.

17. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

You may find this link to a previous post an interesting read

Player Vendor

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    would love a "haggle ability" with vendors :) that would be awesome.

Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.