Very annoying stuff in game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iver_88, Jul 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iver_88

Iver_88 Avatar

Hi, I played Ultima Online for long years. I know SOTA can't be compared with it in all aspects, but still, here is my list of very annoying stuff in actual game. Do you have same thinks like me?

1. Dark, dark and dark. I don't know why, but 90% of gaming time, there is dark still. Mainly in small villages where is dark through day too. In another games, night length is 20-40% of day-time cycle. Actually, when day is set, I'm celebrating :D
    2. Stupid deaths - Where is old loved system where I can lose all my stuff in backpack? Where are days where newbie is scared of murderers and trying avoid some dangerous areas? Now it's like stupid parody for LOL or DOTA. When I die, I must wait one minute and continue without penalty? Are we really degenerate from games for stupids (it's meant in general) where player do not think? PVP is really ridiculous. Two mans fighting together without penalty again and again and again... Why? Here can be chivalrous duels or magic duels. And winner can take everything from enemy. I know peoples are scared he can lose good equipment, but now, even I have good equipment, I haven't good feelings from game. It's just like in Diablo. I find good equip, I'm happy for 5 minutes and looking for better. I can't lose anything. Where is adrenalin? This is why I'm playing role playing games. I can't merge with my avatar this way. Becouse my avatar isn't human. It looks like he is god.
    3. Too easy progress - I loved slow progress during game, where improve of your character was for years. Where this leveling was part of gaming. Why we want game where I'm on max level for few days or weeks of playing? It's very boring. Will be here servers with slow progress? Where player can have one avatar and play with it for long years?
    4. Bad controlling of inventory - When I want old-style backpack for better feelings, it's not useful in many cases. Why here isn't "Take all" button too? Why items for deck manager changing are not detected in additional storages in backpack? Why clicking on item is working once and second time isn't working? Why double-click to weapon is for placing of weapon to hand instead of taking it to backpack? Why when I'm placing item to backpack, his position is selected randomly instead position of cursor?
    5. Same location and spawning location - I hope this system, is only temporary. There isn't dynamics. All enemies are on his permanent spots and harvestable stuff too. Very frustrating is spawning of new enemy right behind the back. Will be here random spawning for harvestable stuff and smarter spawning system? Or this is like final version?
    Please don't hate me. I want just start discuss about this stuff and know your opinion. So what is your "very annoying" list of game features? :)

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome, Iver!

You have some very good feedback, and you did a good job of making your views understandable. Keeping in mind that everything you mention is still subject to change at this point in the game development, it would be great if you would post your feedback in the R19 feedback forum to ensure that the devs don't lose sight of it.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/release-19-feedback-forum.342/

My personal views on your points:
    1. "Darkness": So many people are complaining about it being too dark at night that I expect the devs will do something about it. I can't imagine that they want to lose players because of it.

2. "Stupid deaths": The death system hasn't been fully implemented yet, so get your feedback heard. One thing has already been decided on - PVP in SotA will be consensual. There are and will be "open PVP" areas, and some form of full loot will be introduced, but we don't have details yet.

3. "Too easy progress": I agree that progress is too fast. It is my belief that when the game is released, progress will be much slower. In the pre-release testing phase we are in now it makes sense for progress to be fast so that all game mechanics can be tested. Players need to be able to do everything, go everywhere, fight any NCP oppoent in order to give feedback.

4. "Bad control of inventory": Your ideas sound good to me, though I don't use the backpack view, so I can't speak from experience.

5. "Same location and spawning location": The devs have already started working on dynamic random spawning locations and are introducing the mechanic to various scenes already. There is more information in one of the updates - I'm sure someone has the link handy.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Hi Iver.

Basically every answer to your sensible list of grievances can and will include "because it's alpha, and the game won't be like this at release".

Don't treat the game as being finished. It's work in progress. I dare to say it's not even a game, but an earlier, drawing-board level preview of things to come. ;)

Also, not to detract from your thoughtful feedback and contribution, but most of the issues you mention are already on the table of devs (darkness, progress, inventory) or in a interim state (dynamic mob and resource spawner *is* implemented in some locations, like Northern Grunvald Barrens, but still missing in most other) or just out of the scope of the vision (psycho PKers scaring the living daylights out of every noob in every place at every time of the day and night - aka "UO like" :p).

NaomiLin, Mata and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Mata and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

1 - They do it because they want proper cycles of moon and other things in space. I agree that they can easily script it to work and then speed it all up in sync once the sun sets. Maybe they're not there yet.

2 - The last thing I want to do when I'm testing buggy combat is losing all my stuff because of some crappy pathfinding, malfunctioning abilities or a straight up crash.

3 - Progression will be drastically slowed down once the game goes live. It's sped up for testing.

4 - Richard Garriott games were never really good on the UI front. Lets hope they'll get a pass on that soon.

5 - They're aware of the situation last time I checked.

Mata and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Iver_88!

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Iver_88 to Shrouds. Hopefully you will hang in there or come back in a couple of releases. The systems as mentioned are first iterations and full loot and UO thi is not. While pvp will get some interesting things coming to it as we go along such as guildwars and full loot areas this is not UO. I'm not sure the game is about the adrenaline rushes you mention, hopefully there will be more to it for players that hold interest once content and all features are fully developed and in. If you are looking for a non consensual pvp game and have no patience with role playing games that offer housing, fishing, gardening, and mysteries and secrets areas then perhaps you will not see the potential in this game. I know pvp and combat in general is being worked out now so the experience will improve over time and is the case in early development of a game. Also sounds are not in much and the experience of everything will be enhance by good sound and also animation work in many things. I agree about the back packs and hopefully they will get attention when the developers get a moment. And to darkness in a way it is very cool with the neat looking sky and stars and such but perhaps it is being worked on to show off better. Do try the mentioned fixes to help and be sure to have your light spell out on your non combat bar so you can cast it anytime. Best wishes and **cheers**.:)

8. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

Agree that the game is very dark. I personally dislike the combat (deck) system.

9. smack

smack Avatar

Welcome, Iver_88! Great feedback from a new user here.

1. Darkness? Yeah, it's all over the place. Some say too dark, others say too bright. We really do need gamma controls.

2. Deaths? Agreed, it's far too easy, not very rewarding, not very interesting, there's zero emotional connection or care if you die. When they do implement all of the death penalties, it's at least a step towards fixing all of that. But agreed, unfortunately, there isn't much feeling of danger in this game -- despite the lore and story presented here. Playing through the majority of the scenes currently is a walk in the park without a care in the world.

3. Easy progress? Most definitely far too easy, but as others have said, it's accelerated. Some players are getting to Level 70 in a matter of days when it's expected it should take around 300-500 hours.

4. Bag Inventory and UI? Yes, the bag inventory system needs some love and the UI needs a complete overhaul.

5. Spawn logic? There isn't any, really. I wouldn't expect that to be implemented for many more releases.

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I hate to be the one to tell you, but the UO servers are still running last time I checked... There's like 100k die hard players still, so....

-1 I guess you never played Ultima IX, it was pretty dark in that game... The last patch we had brightened it up quite a bit, IMO...Nightfall is supposed to be dark, if you have a light source, you will only be able to see so far, it's an adventure after all...
    -2 Well, I don't know what to tell you, other than most ppl don't like that system and the UO servers are still using it, so....
    -3 Oh really, I just hit level 60 today and it wasn't all that easy... Granted , if you haven't got anything better to do but play games all day long, you're going to hit the top very quickly, so... You want it to take "years", ok don't play as much... I'm happy with it this way...
    -4 The only thing I can say is: "I guess your too old to learn new things" or "resist change" or "you want things to stay the way they are in UO"....
    -5 You need to read the news more, dynamic spawning has just arrived and needs to be revisited in older scenes....

Just keep playing, you'll get used to it....

11. Selene

Selene Avatar

Welcome to the game, Iver_88. I think some of the early posts had really good answers to your feedback. If you've only been playing a very short while, I hope you'll stick around...every release there are a lot of changes (the next one is on July 30th), and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the rate at which things are improving.

12. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Welcome to the game Iver_88

13. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Welcome Iver_88!
    All your thoughts and worries were already mentioned by other players and most probably heard by the devs. You should see some improvements in the next few releases, but they probably won't solve EVERY problem. Also, belive it or not, the nights were even darker (especially on the overland map) and personally I'm happy with the current light/dark balance. Many of us do want it to be dark at night. It makes the game a bit harder and more realistic which is also one of the things you seem to desire :)

I would also like to thank you for the form of your feedback. It's nice to see a new player, who says what he doesn't like about the game without cursing and offending devs and players with lots of sh**'s and fu**'s!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.