Very very slow Download of R37 patch.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CatherineRose, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well to be fair, I must note that the 520->521 just downloaded with relatively blazing speed from the patcher. :p

Marishka likes this.
  2. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I have a buddy of mine who I talked into playing a few months ago. He refuses to use games under Steam because of their "spying" on what he plays. :rolleyes::)

Anyway, he has the same service as I do 50 Mbps up and 200 Mbps down. He texted me a few minutes ago and said he has been patching for 24 hours. He will not use a third party program to speed up the download, because he doesn't want to use anything he claims he can't trust,no matter how many other folks are using it. He has tried to restart the download when it appears to hang up.

Anyway, it would be a really good thing if Port. could get the download speeds up for non-Steam users. It's tough to get folks to play if they are talking with non-players about very slow download speeds. I hope this can be resolved soon. :)

3. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Then he must not play many online games. Many of them use third party software for their downloading / Updating. The only difference here is Port isn't including that third party software themselves. That would be an easy fix, however for them to simply throw uTorrent in the download.

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Well I told him to use torrent and his reply was he didn't have to use anything like that to download/update his other games. So what his others use he probably is unaware of. :D

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

@CatherineRose

Guess winning two city deeds makes this whole thread rather unimportant.

Congratulations!!!

6. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

lol @ 'a team of engineers'..... we're talking about a patcher/launcher here. The friend who introduced me to sota use to run his own UO server. He created a launcher for his server in a single day by himself.

There is simply no excuse for this... this team needs to put down their polishing pads and make a working patcher asap.

7. Marishka

Marishka Avatar

The only thing that bugs me is the patcher isn't smart enough to see if it has an older full installation already downloaded, and then fill in the holes with smaller incrementals.

But on the flip side I can understand, as in the case of todays patch, if they're shaving many gigs off, and the base installation has significantly changed, you wouldn't want to download fat patches that are no longer relevant. I have to assume the devs are making a judgment here, and the latest full build is their new baseline.

Kudos for making the client launch faster. I don't get stuck with a white screen for half a minute on first launch now. At least they seem to understand the game window should be responsive even during initialization.

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Same here, I usually can bypass the crowd by logging in the afternoons PST, but there must be a lot of ppl playing now because it's been so slow the last few releases... Now my data rates start at zero then goes up to 150 kbits then drops back to zero, to start that cycle all over again, this is the 1st release to do that... I can accept a low transfer rate, but really...

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol well I have steam and don't use it to download. I actually downloaded this time in 30 minutes. I was surprised at how fast it was since it took me forever last time. I am sure there is something to be seen here. Is it that I happened to download when not a lot of players were downloading or something else. I am on the same computer which is very new and is SSD but last time it took me 8 hours so I do not know. So it was fast without steam and I don't use steam unless I have to for games. I'm not against them but I prefer to play without them when I can. ;)

Tahru likes this.
  10. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Was patching for 28 hours.. deleted it in a fit of rage, maybe ill goto the bar cool off and attempt to reinstall it this weekend...

11. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Oh and if it helps, I had made it to 27% DL'd

12. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

I agree,
    and it would be nice if they could answer to this post. ( DEVS)
    Ya know, something like, we heard ya guys, we're working on it.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  13. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

The only reason i don't use steam on SOTA is I have family settings where my kids can play games I have bought on my Steam account.
    I am scared I'll log in an they will have left me completely broke, naked, and in the middle of nowhere if they get grounded for bad grades or something.

Pikegirl likes this.
  14. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

I finally got an incremental 520 -> 521

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

I see a lot of Steam hate, I do not know why. I've heard people say it's bloated...right now it's taking 50M of memory and 0% CPU on my machine. I'm from a computer science background (did many years of UNIX systems administration) and I can tell you, Steam is not bloaty.

EDIT: I read the whole thread and people say Steam is spying...? I'm not sure what to make of that. Portalarium knows how long you play, who cares if Steam does?

16. Baba39

Baba39 Avatar

Thanks for the tip, my download of the patch was really really slow, and downloading the patch with a torrent client much faster.

One thing I wonder though, can we delete the old patches and just keep the new one?

Thanks!

Baratan likes this.
  17. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Installed R37 the standard way through Port on the Mac Book Pro which took about 1-2 hours.

Began installing R37 on Alienware machine running Windows about 20 hours ago (also, the standard way through Port). The progress bar is at about 25 percent finished. So, looking like it will take about 80 hours to install on this machine. Reminds me of using a Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem 30 years ago.

Edit - It is now 24 hours since this post. The bar is now close to 50 percent.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.