Viking 4 story chimney

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Jace3, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

@Scottie What chimney works on the first floor of a viking 4 story row house? I made a wood & stone fireplace and have tried several chimneys 2 are a bit short and the other 2 are too tall.

I made the tall stone & wood chimney floor extension, stone & wood chimney floor extension, the angled stone & wood chimney, the flat stone & wood chimney. The flat one is the one that is a bit short of touching the ceiling.

I am currently using the angled chimney as that looks the best. Is there one that will reach the ceiling on this house?

Area: Nesoskia (PRT_island_metropolis_01/Nesoskia) Loc: (42.9, 89.2, 92.8)
    if you want to take a look at it.
    Not being critical but I have a gap between the back of the chimney and the wall.

Acred, Leelu and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  2. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hey there! Since all the houses have been built slightly differently (with varying trim/collision shapes on the wall, floors, and ceiling, as well as varying ceiling heights from house to house), there was simply no way to really account for them all perfectly with a uniform set of chimneys/fireplaces... Additionally, because there was a concern about players potentially "walking inside" the fireplaces too much if they were placed away from a wall in a "free-standing" sort of way, I was forced to place the collision on the back of the fireplaces nearly flush with their own surfaces... As a result, there will be sometimes/often be visible gaps between the back of the chimneys (where the fireplace collision collides with some collision element on the house's trim somewhere), and there will sometimes be gaps at the top of chimney pieces between them and the ceiling (since I was forced to design them to at least not collide with most ceilings in most cases (which means there is a chance of gapping in the larger ceilings if they were made slightly taller than other similarly large ceilings in most of the other large buildings...

What I can do, the next time I have the chance, is go into that particular house, after laying it down on my test map again, and see which of the configurations come closest, and then let you know.... But unfortunately, because they had to be made to work as well as they could for all cases (instead of for each different house individually), there will be some cases where they simply can't fit as perfectly as you might want them to... Sorry about that,...but it is the nature of this type of production process... Had I been a part of the player-house building process, I guarantee I would have made sure all ceiling heights were "standardized" in a way that this type of thing wouldn't have happened (much like I did with the modular dungeon sets)... Alas,....hind-sight is 20/20,...we didn't know as those houses were being built awhile back that a chimney set like this was going to be made in the future,...and of course that truth does little good for you now....

Scottie ^_^

3. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I remember when you announced the fireplaces and chimneys you mentioned the differences in ceiling heights in the different houses. I am ok with the angled chimney as it looks ok. I was just checking with you to see if what I had done was what had been planned for this style house. I think the angled chimney leads one to believe that outside the house wall is a chimney that leads upwards. The gap is only noticeable if one is being pretty snoopy about their house. I think I can camouflage the sides with some other deco.
    It does look good and I sure appreciate the work you did to create these. Thanks

Acred, Scottie and Leelu like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What about if someone finds an issue with one not fitting they bug report it so at least the information is out there to get fixed when someone gets time to fix it. :) That way it is not a matter of a dev having to hunt through them all since they are so busy.

Acred, Scottie, Cally and 1 other person like this.
  5. Scottie

For the most part for most other types of art issues, this is certainly the way to go, but in many cases for the modular chimney sets "not fitting" is going to be symptomatic of the need to attempt the "one size fits all as best it can" approach that I had to take for creating these fireplace sets... Them not fitting in any particular case will most likely either be the result of a combination of the pieces that either looks wrong in one case, but not in others, or is the result of not all houses having the same roof heights/trim sizes... In either of these cases, it's not really a "bug", nor can it really be "fixed", sadly,...it's really just "as designed" under the particularly amorphous specs that I was forced to design them in... (the sadness of essentially having "modular" pieces that will hopefully work in the decidedly non-modular houses we've made...)... The only other option would have been me making a full suite of all those chimneys you saw for each individual house type, which was simply not something we could even entertain....(multiply the number of assets I had to create just to have the variety you see now, and multiply that by the number of different houses we offer, and you can see what I mean...).

The "rock and a hard place" situation is, if a particular combination of pieces doesn't fit well in one type of house,...I could either try to adjust the height of one or more of the fireplace pieces so that it works for that particular house (which would result in those same pieces suddenly not fitting well in the majority of the other house types), or I could try to adjust the house itself by moving the floors either up or down (which would cause all the currently-decorated player houses to suddenly fail dramatically as entire floors shifted up through existing decorations, or down below such decorations, causing possible gaps and dysfunction in a whole host of other potentially size-constrained props... As a result, the best we can hope for is that the hours I spent making them fit "as best they can" in most situations will allow the most freedom of decoration with the understanding that such "modular piece" decorating sets won't always work in every situation... When they don't, then it's merely time to try something different! Creative problem solving will always be the name of the game, in such cases, knowing that the solution will rarely be perfect... ^_^

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Acred, majoria70 and Lord Andernut like this.
  6. Scottie

Heh! Well, the truth is, when trying to create a "general" use case for all houses, I honestly didn't have the latitude to effectively "plan" these props for usage in any specific style of house,...but I DID go through, as I was making and testing them, to insure that at least one or two configurations worked "fairly well" in all the houses, with some playing around and creative interpretation of what looked "OK" enough to keep working... Of course,...what I'm willing to call "OK" is totally subjective and open to opinion (possibly differing hugely from what other discerning folks might be satisfied with)...and I'm not always going to make the best call...(since there were SO MANY houses to test in)... There were so many houses to test these in, in fact, that there was really no time-effective way to write down the particular assembly of pieces that worked best (an in what location) for each of the house types I tested them in... So I'm so sorry I can't really shed light on that for you... Like I said, if I can carve out some time in the near future, I'll try to go in and test again in your particular house style to see if I can find a good combination of pieces to fit nicely, but there's a large chance that we may differ on where we might really think we want our chimneys/fireplace to be... ^_^

And thanks so much for the compliments! I'm glad you enjoy how they look! I do know that in a few houses I discovered that, if I was unsatisfied with the look of trying to make an entirely interior chimney solution, I would do exactly as you did, and use the angled piece to make it go outside. Then I went even further, and used the remaining set pieces to try to line them up on the outside of the house to build them up on the exterior to match where the angled piece was placed on the inside (of course, continuing all the way to the ground outside), and then building that chimney (assuming I had enough pieces) all the way up past the roof, while using that special "roof extension" piece to pass up and through the overhang of the house to display the full chimney on the outside... I often found that ended up looking as cool as building it floor-by-floor on the interior... Fun stuff!

Anyway,...I hope this helps!

Scottie ^_^

Acred, majoria70, Cally and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.