Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

We a reason to go around not just remove means of traveling!!!

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Odyssey2001, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I will speak for myself here ( as I cannot speak for anyone else ) Several releases ago scrolls were introduced into the game and multiple zoning was removed. This was suppose to encourage travel and also help local economy. For me this has not changed my way of playing one bit.. In fact I would say the opposite.

Due to high time it takes to craft now and gather I have to maximize my game play so I avoid doing shopping and going around like I used too before.. There is less time ( sort of speak ) due to the game getting slowing and it taking more time to gather stuff and get ahead.. so for me I prefer to route and avoid unnecessary travel.

At the moment I see no real reason to go anywhere as there is nothing anywhere that is not around my area anyways. ( Other that seeing the new area that has been built which are really beautiful btw :) )

I see a few other post that are even suggesting to remove the scrolls altogether.. That will accomplish only frustration for me and may even make me feel to play less as I have absolutely no enthusiasm to run around a board just to join up with a guildy or perhaps visit a new developed area.

When zoning was available I was all over the board going from place to place visiting new places and vendors and now I find myself sicking to one area due to limited mobility..

We need to add mobility not remove it.. perhaps Horses or some other type of faster moving method to get around..and we also need to add good reasons to go around!!!

Adding Motive/reason to go around...

We need to add motives so that there is a clear reason to go to another side of the map and keep on going to different areas. ( Other than to just to visit a new developed area or some vendor)

There is still much I am sure on the table at polarium, I am sure of that but I hope some of it is reasons to go to all 5 corners of the map. :)

2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Completely disagree

I live in Spite and travel by foot to Elysium in no time at all... several times a day i cross the map in different directions in no time at all...

edit: in Elysium atm will clock on my way back to spite

3. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

I can usually get from point A to B in less than 2 minutes if zoning times aren't taken into consideration.

That's pretty damn fast travel already.

It's certainly too quick with no cost or major hindrances to create regional economies that's for sure.

Now if passes only opened after you defeated the last wave for a couple minutes and boats cost a few thousand gold to use. That would certainly keep people in their regions.

They would need to make lots of region only resources across the map to spawn traders too. Sadly none of this is in yet.

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I'm hoping to see roving encounters in the near future release encouraging people to spend more time on the over world and also make the traveling between zones more interesting.

5. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

That would be nice too. If there was region specific roving encounters.

The only traders who sell silks for crafting are random encounters or dropped off roving creatures in one region. In another region you might only find birch wood within its random encounters.

With enough planning and creating barriers between regions things could get interesting.

Imagine items that could only be built on the forges of certain regions. Magical moon enchantments that change depending on which region your in because of celestial positioning. There's so many creative things they could do.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The arguments presented will of course pertain to some people but not all. I travel all over the place all the time, and I don't use the scrolls. The only place I don't go on a regular basis is Drachvald, because I can't cross Vaudan Pass alive.

Saosis likes this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

A great idea was posted in another thread to make it so scrolls don't work beyond control points. I think that may be a viable solution. Teleport scrolls could be made cheaper then because the local economy would be defined by the control points as originally intended.

I would be totally cool if a scroll would take people straight into the control point scene when trying to port beyond one. That would still save people significant travel time.

It's a great compromise.

8. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Their is no arguments presented..( Like I clearly said, "I will speak for myself here ( as I cannot speak for anyone else )"
    This is how I play the game..and how I feel playing the game and reacting to the game.

The only thing I added is that I think there should be more mobility like adding horses of something as I do not like going from one side of a Metropolis pot to the other ..

Bluefire and Kara Brae like this.
  9. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Hopefully they add mark and recall and gate spells one day, but seriously the world is small and fast to get from A-B once you know it, couple of minutes one side of map to the other + the time to transverse a zone if needed.

They are adding mounts, just not in the scope for pre launch, so for now we have coconuts which give a significant speed boost (same as sprinting), just have em bound to a deck for fast overmap travel.

Zone command was only ever a test command, and was never going to stay, and recalls and teleports take no time atall to get the mats for once yo know what your doing.

Tahru likes this.
  10. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

There is nothing to agree on or disagree on in regards to travel, I am only stating how I play the game and how I feel about it and I am reflecting back my experience.. "I will speak for myself here ( as I cannot speak for anyone else )"

Kara Brae likes this.
  11. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Their are many ways to play this game, my way is only one way of many, I am not saying by any means that my way is better or worse than any one else way.. The above is my own observations on my own game play versus the changes made in the game recently ..

My only real suggestion that I have is the ability to go from one end of a metropolis to the other faster.. I teleported once and found myself lost in a MET and after 2 mins I just logged off then back on to the world map.. perhaps I am less patient than most but I really wish there were horses or something to travel a faster than we do now..( Sorry but the coconuts just don't cut it for me )

12. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Im guessing you were in brit, agreed, its a bit of a rabbit warren, and yeah I do that too as a fast travel within zones so I see your point. Personaly I have more issue with a lot of the so say smaller towns where you come in 10miles out and cant even
    work out where the town is then when you eventually find it you know its such a long run that rebooting is just way faster.

13. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

Since cities are non combat zones perhaps putting an exit button on screen to instantly go to the main map might be an option. City of Heroes used to use that feature once you finished a quest in an instance and it worked fairly well.

14. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

The world May seem small now. But most everyone forgets that there are 4 more expansions and each one is supposed to be 2x the last one.

Episode 2 map is said to be 2x the size of this map. Ep 3 2X Bigger etc.

At least this is my understanding of the maps and expansions. And that my good folks is a pretty darn BIG World :)

Big Picture Long Term. Ya cant nerf something based on info we don't fully grasp yet.

Just my thoughts for ya's.

Laz

15. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

The more my movement is restricted the more frustrated with this game I get. My whole point in playing SoTa is for fun. Take that away and I will start looking elsewhere to go.

FrostII and Marcus Antoninus like this.
  16. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

The less my movement is restricted the more I'm frustrated my point of playing is for fun aswell... tough job being a dev I suppose

17. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Yes, I am always frustrated as well when there is no traffic jams on the way to work....

Much more relaxing to be stuck in traffic.

18. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I am not begrudging your post but just using it for a contrast moment. If what you say is true, and it is in my opinion. when in reality it was the same way in Uo It begs the question why is recalling tabo in this Model. Recalling and gate travel was a fun mechanism that added depth to the game. The way I see it, Making people run a maze when they know very well they dont have too, is not in the spirit of transparency. Telling people no because it hurts the game is non sense. Logistically, it is is very cumbersome on a person to run the map and go and there quickly... and " Efficiently so, if this is the only reason it is a poor one, imho
    In addition think of it as a buffet, you go knowing your not going to have to settle for one type of food in one setting. This is what recalling and gate travel means to me. I get real board fast when I am limited knowing there is a better way. It never made a drop of sense to me why they didnt allow recalling to some places in Ultima. . it was an error on there part and I believe they are making the same error again, to teases us with it by dangling in front of us with limited use, is just dumb.
    In fairness, maybe it is just a perception change, one I will have to be forced to except, but I will begrudgingly because, what was once seen cant be unseen. I guess we will see, maybe Im wrong.

19. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

The oh so big promise of regional economies which I want can't happen with recalling. I loved the way it was set up in UO but here there has been another plan in SotA seemed like to me (until I noticed I could travel the map in like 2 minutes)

Aka I'm not trolling I'm being sincere

20. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

theres too many things in game that ruin the idea of any player economy. Fast travel is one of those things. I personally think its too easy to get around. Sure its tough when first starting out but once you level a bit its super easy to get around, and pass through the different passes when needed. Recall scrolls and teleport friend options should be removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.