Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

We're being discouraged from interacting with each other in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I often have random encounters with people and have made friends that way. Of course I've also gotten ignored plenty of times too.

Back when I was playing EverQuest 2 I remember they added guild halls. which was cool, you know, guild housing a place to gather. Well, they slowly added more and more features to guild halls to where eventually you literally did not have to leave your guild hall to do anything. You could travel to any zone from there, had bankers, merchants, everything. The cities became dead.

The point of that story, is I often worry if POTs won't bring about the same sort of situation. As massively popular POTs are it seems the majority of people are all just hanging out in their own little towns.

Thankfully I think Portalarium are wise enough not to give TOO much functionality to POTs. But it does sadden me to think everyone is just keeping to theirselves.

4EverLost likes this.
  2. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

The problem is humans ... The fix? As a fellow human of yourself, WANT TO GIVE OTHER PLAYERS UNIQUE (not just your friends) experiences.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  3. Womby

Womby Avatar

A number of people playing this game have come from single player RPGs. Games like the Elder Scrolls series, or the Fallout series. This may be their first multiplayer RPG. That is certainly true in my case. Perhaps they are not used to human interaction in game.

Those people may have been attracted to SotA because it supported Single Player Online. They may be happy to engage in some occasional social interaction when they wish to relax, but prefer to keep to themselves when questing or adventuring.

That is a valid playstyle that the game supports.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    well said. :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think guild chat is necessarily good for guilds. I'd rather RP tools for guilds come in, like newsletters, public notice boards, mailboxes. Then each player in a guild can receive a newsletter, they'd be informed of a meeting, and then would show up and everyone would meet live.

I don't believe travel is difficult at all; in fact, its excessively easy now that they've increased travel speed, faster than it should be. As I commented on the hangout announcement, its so fast now overland that I constantly veer off Perennial Trail even when I'm trying to troll for random encounters. Its fast enough at the moment that its easy to veer off the road. Its not that difficult to get through most control points once you're a decent level.

People will congregate at local banks, local vendors, local taverns, local merchants, etc. Don't see a problem with that. There will always be reasons to go to either NPC cities or larger POTs. Though I'd like money having weight.

Personally, I'd be fine if POTs didn't automatically come with bankers myself, and you had to use up an NPC for a banker in your town. If your lot got evicted, your items would go to the nearest bank or nearest central bank. Banks in bigger cities could be "central banks" and also have more functions, like money exchange, currency conversion. For example, in Witcher 3, you can only get different forms of currency converted at the bank in Novigrad.

Taverns will be more important IMO as the game gets expanded. They could be locations to get NPC hirelings (which would apply in NPC cities), to get food to fill nutrition needs (hunger will help this along), and to check notice boards for jobs, tasks, advertisements. They'll also be a natural place to meet players and find parties.

Now, personally, I also think this would also work better if player-to-player encounters in the wilderness was not so common, so people wouldn't feel they need to log on in SPO. I'm also excited about the prospects that setting up camp in the game would bring, because it would be another way to meet players.

6. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

Sure it maybe a bit brass, only because Im compassionate about what I stand behind and speak about, and as for what I said, humans are the problem video games turn to garbage. Not anything else. Good Day @ThurisazSheol and just for curiosity reasons, What founder level are both of your accounts?

7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

pledge level is not relevant, as that is a personal decision - yes i am founder on one. while my other account doesn't even HAVE a pledge on it.

8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

+1 for solo player / loner types that often engage socially :). It comes from a lifetime of playing rogues, really. For my character's modus operandi and personality to have any motivation at all, there needs to be a bristling world of social happenings to craftily sneak through unnoticed. No point in bein' sneaky if there isnt anyone to hide from ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.