What do you feel about the WASD movement system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asclepius, Dec 14, 2013.

?

Do you like the WASD movement system?

1. Love it!!

16.3%
  2. Not bad

24.0%
  3. Needs modifying - fix the camera so no R-click is needed

38.5%
  4. Don't like it

5.8%
  5. Hate it!!

15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

I don't mind WASD movement in the least... though perhaps using R and E to turn the camera left and right as needed would be welcomed? I do enjoy my sight-seeing trips when traveling around, and my finger will get awfully tired :p

2. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

My only concern with the controls was that being a leftie I would have preferred to use the cursor keys but I'm sure configurable key bindings will be added at some point. My other thought was that the right click to look feature would probably make oculus rift integration better as you could then use head tracking to look and mouse cursor to select things within your field of view rather than oblivion/fallout 3 where you would possibly have to use head tracking to select your target.

3. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

This is somewhat redundant to other threads, but yea, I think we can all agree at least that the current WASD function is convoluted at best. A and D should turn you (not send you waking toward the left/right of the screen) while S should move you backwards (not turn you around and start you walking towards the camera as it often does now).

WASD needs to conform to the eternal convention of forward, backward, rotate left/right so that you can cruise around without the mouse (right now you have to ride B2 to maneuver).

Beyond that, how you access the 2D UI and the camera is up for debate. My (very strong) preference is what lotro does: mouse does 2D UI interaction BUT on B2 pan/tilts the camera (camera normally follows characters movements unless you B2 and point it somewhere else).

4. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

The current system is similar to what I've seen in Neverwinter: A/D makes you run left/right rather then turn you around, and S turns you 180° and runs towards the camera.

The reason why it works well in Neverwinter is that if you move your mouse just half a centimeter, the camera rotates 180°: you can quickly rotate the view so that the camera is facing the same direction your character is facing.
    In this pre-release I had to drag the mouse several times over the full width of my mousepad to obtain a mere 90° rotation :mad:

5. ZhugeLiang

ZhugeLiang Avatar

This type of discussion shouldn't even be needed. Most games made for the PC have allowed altering keybindings so players can set up whatever they like and this game should be no different. MMOs need to cater to the most amount of people as possible and placing a restrictive keybinding will hurt far more than help. This is applied to camera movement also.

licemeat likes this.
  6. Mith aka Crazy_Scriby

Mith aka Crazy_Scriby Avatar

For movement in a 3D world, there is/was nothing better then the wow movement system.

from the moment there was some sort of aiming involved (tera) it gets a pain if you need to map other keys close to the wqsd buttons.

when i played wow, i placed my skills on my F buttons, and in combination with my mouse movement, it always worked perfectly.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

WASD movement in general is good for me. But I agree that some fine tuning to the SoTA approach would be helpful.

8. Garrett Ohrmsford

Garrett Ohrmsford Avatar

Is SotA FPS only, or is there 3rd person..?

9. smack

smack Avatar

Currently 3rd person. They haven't committed to first person yet, but I think there's enough players asking for it that it will be done. So, keep asking for that first person option :)

10. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

i am sure in R1 that the WASD movement was a rough draft of the final product. WASD almost feels second nature to me and I hope they keep it. I think giving some options on movement would be nice. I like double tap W to auto run and use my mouse to turn my character. To me that allows for simpler long runs and i can kind of sit back a little and just run around with mouse.

11. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

My biggest complaint about movement from R1 was the inability to look around while moving without going that direction.... Need to be able to separate out the camera control somehow even if it is only while holding the CTRL button or something like that.

licemeat and Gracekain like this.
  12. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think it's exactly like Neverwinter ... but I think that the difference in character size matters a great deal ... many times in Neverwinter I would zoom out as far as possible and that made the movement seem fluid and made more sense for their setup. I'm not sure if this will work in a land that has detail and may require folks to zoom in or pay attention to detail.

I see how the camera can be a benefit in this system but ultimately I think a camera that fixes on (at any angle that is selected by the player) the player is what this game needs ... just my hunch

13. Garrett Ohrmsford

Garrett Ohrmsford Avatar

One of the things I find fascinating with Mortal Online, is the first person view. Very intimate.

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

R2 - the movement felt more fluid ... Thumbs up :)

- I really enjoyed the double tap "w" feature for running

- Q and E for scanning from side to side is too slow for my taste, 50% increase would help

15. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I enjoyed the left+right mouse button move forward. I rarely used WASD at all.

16. Vile Desecrator

Vile Desecrator Avatar

I would like to see an option to set my keys anywhere I choose on my keyboard, I personally like to play off the NUM pad because the keys are straight up and down instead of off set.

Margard likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Key rebinding is slated to be enabled in R3 next month!

Vile Desecrator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.