What does "adventurer level" actually do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Exactly.

Time Lord, Hornpipe and Net like this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Well, it doesn't seem very minor to me. I hope it becomes that, but it sure seems like it plays a pretty large role in our ability to defeat the enemy. I think it actually does impact critical chance, damage output, etc... I just don't know how we know or prove that.

Time Lord and Net like this.
  3. Curt

Curt Avatar

Before we had this system where skills grows depending on you using them we had the more common mmo system with levels and each level you gained some points to increase your skills.

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I understand. That is what I was talking about above. I have been around since R1 or R2, so I remember that.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

The Spirituality blessing increases adventure level - +4 as far as I know.

I also think it affects the journal entries - this task should not be challenging or this task may be challenging.

Time Lord and Nikko like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It as a function is the game plays a minor role so by default you should also see it as minor. Chris (Atos) has already taken away the correlation between adv level and ability for mobs to hit you. This just happened in R42.

So, adv level is just a shorter numerical representation of your base xp now. So we could basically at this point stop saying "Im lvl 110" and say "I have 500 mil xp".

If the mob is orenge con to you then instead of saying the mob is 10 levels higher them me, you can say "the mob is 100 million xp more then my xp level).

Eventually the devs dont even want you to be thinking of XP at all. (Going to the way UO was)... "I use this skill and that skill goes up from using it. I think this math will always be in the background (which is why you cant even see it now without using a text log).

7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is a pretty good explanation of all of that (if accurate). So you're sure it has nothing to do with critical chance, chance to hit, damage output, etc. now? It sure feels like it as I advance my character. Perhaps I am really just putting the XP into the best things, and I am wrong about all of this.

BTW, I really think they had it all nearly perfect in UO, so if they are moving that direction, then I am all for it. I thought UO was magical. I still long for that type of game/feeling, and nothing can do it for me. SotA at least seems to me like it is getting closer to that feeling every month.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Chris said he was working on a patch to use the greater of you adv level and you weapon skill, I see no indication it was ever applied, and even if it was, level exceeds skill for most skills passed a certain point.

GreyMouser Skye, Time Lord and Spoon like this.
  9. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Adventure level also increases hit points and focus. From Chris daily blog post on 5/17/17

"Adjusted math for hit point calculations to make character less important. Previously it was a base value * (1+level/33). Looking switching this to base*(1+level/40). For a fairly extreme case of level 100 and all skills at 100, hp max drops from 696 to 593. This will also effect creatures in the same way. Goal is to continue to slowly erode the value of level. (Though stats are essentially tied to level and still play a large role in hp/focus)"
    He later stated that he was leaving focus like it was: base value * (1+level/33)

So adv level impacts:
    • Hit Points
    • Focus
    • Hit Chance
    • Is also a hidden "super stat" for creature

10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Based on chat log reviews, I'm pretty sure relative adv level plays some role in crit chance as well. Looking at a party fighting boss monsters, crit rates against us are high, but higher among lower adv lvl than higher ones.

11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Interesting. Any evidences this is already working ingame?

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While i dont disagree.. exp per hour goes up as you do.

200k an hour at level 50 is very much do able solo.

I am about 91 or 92 adv level. Solo in easy spot watching netflix i still do 300 -350k. ( friends mode so i could do more i guess ) and duo with someone my level i can do closer to 700 each i think?
    I got guildies under level 100 who do over a mil n hour.. and a few who duo at 1.3 or 1.5 ish.

So i mean.. its grindy but it does scale a TAD.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, I've always been curious as to whether or not AdvLevel has any DIRECT effect on anything beyond what Chris said about it effecting base stats (Str/Dex/Int) - which is why this thread got my attention.
    Last time I looked I was at 97, and my experience has been simply that AdvLevel correlates to relative difficulty level between you and any given mob - which is shown by the mob's color.
    But when I see misinformation like this:
    I feel the need to at least set the record straight on this one aspect.
    AdvLevel has absolutely no effect on the xp you get from any mob. That number is set in stone, and you get the same xp's from killing the same creature if you're AdvLevel 5 or 50 or 200. Period.
    Hearsay and guesses are different from fact.

Here's a fact:
    I know people who are scared to death of anything that is not "green" to them, and subsequently avoid combat with them based on that aspect alone - which both frustrates and saddens me.
    Yes, AdvLevel and mob color are related - but it is only an indicator of RELATIVE difficulty between you and the mob - which is nice to know before you run in full force all Leroy Jenkins like.

Let me ask these two questions: Have you ever been killed by something green to you ? Have you ever killed anything yellow or orange to you?
    My answers are yes, and yes. How about you?

Chris has already stated that AdvLevel is part of the math regarding our basic HP's (which are effected by a lot more than just AdvLevel) - and I could "guess" that it also is a part of the math involved in hits/misses/crits/etc., - but I'd be guessing at that with no hard evidence.

Bottom line for me is that even if Chris told us all the math behind AdvLevel effects, I'd still be doing the same stuff I do now, which is adventure with friends to watch our progress as we get better and better at the toughest mobs, then grind for more xp's when my friends have all gone to bed (I'm on the west coast, most of them are central/eastern time zones).

The only way to raise AdvLevel is to raise skills, and I do that anyway, so it wouldn't change my game-play in the least even if I did know all Chris's math.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@MrBlight I'd love to see any typical AdvLevel 50 get 200k/hr solo. I must have missed an easy mob. ;)

Time Lord, Fister Magee and Weins201 like this.
  15. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

It affects your hit% and dodge% chance for sure (i'm just reading this changed in R42, but I guess we'll see :) ). You can get an idea of your 'power level' vs a monster depending on its color (red being the worst for you, green being the easiest).

It's most likely in to prevent low level players from putting on powerful gear and rolling over very strong monsters too quickly.

It's hidden for immersion purposes, which I agree with. Plus, given how level is simply your total XP and not where you allocate it, a high level character that spent his XP willy nilly could be much weaker than a mid level character that put his XP in proper combat skills.

That's my understanding of it.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Havnt we been over this? Lol its almost do able with elder wolves alone.

I know from about 35?-70 we duoed the repeat of wave 1 of a control point every 37 -40 seconds to kill the 3 hardend skelis. From when they were orange to green. And it was around 50 i was doing it solo.

Lets not pretend SoTa is hard. Lol

Time Lord likes this.
  17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Pretty sure u can do 150 from sand elementals alone lol

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

So we got the shaft in R42. Higher con mobs (yellow/orange/red) still have a higher chance to hit/crit and evade all our attacks, BUT green con mobs (maybe lower end of yellow) DO NOT have as much of a problem hitting US anymore. Basically we still have all the problems but fewer of the benefits. A-level functions exactly like it did in WoW and any other game with a "level" based system. Simply a hidden modifier that determines how effective your and their attacks are relative to the adventure level difference. Other than that it provides a minimal amount of focus/hp every level. I can't confirm if this adds any carry capacity or stats, but I'm pretty sure no on the stats.

19. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I don't know how they changed it for higher level mobs, but as it was, I could stand in a sea of green mobs and basically godmode around with death shield and a heal over time, probably not intended and why it was changed. I still don't take a ton of damage, but I have to be more careful.

Nikko and Time Lord like this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

DEATH OP.

Also yes, i also have to pay a tad more attention when mass farming greens lately. Not exactly a bad thing since i was quite literally killing 40 wolves without stopping.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.