What exactly does "New Britannians" mean??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NirAntae, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

I wouldn't stick with that as the label for number of registered users though as it still sounds misleading. I mean active or not, I have 4 registered accounts. I'm not as active as 4 people.

2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

New Britannians? I thought we were Outlanders. Guard Michael never seems to believe me. :-/

Saosis and BillRoy like this.
  3. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

4. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I'm surprised that theres that many unlinked accounts still. o_O

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There are many KS users that support projects just to help and never claim any of the reward, and others that simply wait for notification of when the end product is available. We may see a few more come in as interesting things are announced, but I am sure there will be a certain amount that never link their accounts.

smack and Akeashar like this.
  6. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

If for no other reason some do die before the project is finished. Grim but inevitable.

7. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I know i may grab a bit of flack for this, but I feel the celebration of the number of "New Britannians" to be a bit dishonest!

We know for a fact that there are 22,322 kickstarter backers and (as of date of posting) 12,299 SOTA website backers, some of which are also kickstarter backers.

After that, we do not have a clue how how many actual members there are.

As of friday last week, 2 may 2014, there was 100,219 New Britannians, and as of the date of posting there are 101,996 New Britanians. That is an increase of 1,777 new unique registered emails in 3 days!

It is obvious that Portalarium has or allows spam bots to create fake forum accounts to increase the number of "New Britannians". It is dishonest to allow that to continue and then praise the fake number. At first, a number of us noticed what was happening but we didn't care because the number didn't mean anything. But now we are praising these fake accounts acting like they are real people making it seem we have a much larger community and that is dishonest.

If you need a bit of proof, I only ask that you look at the ACTIVE forum posters, take note of each of their names, and then try to make a match between 2 members who have similar names, I would bet you couldn't

Then I ask you to type any random name in the search and see how many names come up that are so close that some only vary from one letter or number.

Lets try the name "Will", you end up with names like: Will, Will ll, Will2bill, Will7, Willa3942fqbfty, Willa45vxy, Willa20dbzlb, WillaAlmeida, WillaCorin, WillaAlvarez.

Now try "Sarah", you get: Sarah4Umpfgck, Sarah6624dgkeic, Sarah9354, SarahBoyes, SarahCazaly, SarahCoronado, SarahDalziel, SarahFdpDjn, SarahGomes, SarahGpjggpg

All of which have no forum activity, but we praise them for being a member of our community.

I just think for a game built around virtues, honesty /integrity took a back seat on this one.

-Thanks.

P.S, in the time it took me to type this out and do the 2 searches, there has been an addition of another 14 New Britanians! Congratz..........

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The bane of all game development has been and will always and will always be public relations. Sadly, this is what it takes for some people to turn their head when you are trying to get the word out.

Time Lord and Gracekain like this.
  9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes...

I quite literally cringed each time Dallas mentioned randomly selecting a member from the "New Britannians" community to give away prizes during the anniversary special.

Hopefully it worked out though, and most of those prizes actually made it to real people. :)

10. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

There are more honorable ways to promote your product then lying to your customers.

I shared your concern during those giveaways, and I would bet that very few, if any gift was actually received. Made them seem generous and not so at the same time.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

You never know. I became a member on this site probably when they said to link your kickstarter account-- so, a year ago, perhaps? I didn't make my first post until R3 this February. I think. I don't recall making any earlier.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I made some in December during the test then.

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

ah..hummm... Do you guys see conspiracies everywhere?

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Time Lord, tradyblix and Gracekain like this.
  14. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I assure you the three Malchors are real...because the other two are my brothers lol

15. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree they really shouldn't be praising and promoting the number of New Britannians. To be safe they really should just focus on the number of people who have actually backed the game. That would be a much more accurate representation of how big the community actually is. Promoting the over 100k number is just giving people false impressions of how big the community actually is. I cringed when I saw that number on the latest update. I was like are you serious!? comeon Portalarium we all know that number is a bunch of bs.

16. selbie

selbie Avatar

A lot of them are probably just waiting around for the final release. It's because of that possibility that Portalarium has to treat all accounts as genuine.
    HOWEVER, the signup process for this site is far too loose and there appears to be zero bot filtering. So I do find it a little bothersome that Portalarium announces such a claim. Anyone who has been around MMOs for a while knows that these numbers are always unrepresentative of actual numbers.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would be interesting to tally up the number of forum accounts where there was some activity on the forums registered, whether a comment, or just a like.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think there are some people who have multiple accounts.

19. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I loled a little

+1

60,000 people waiting for release to participate in the development of a game.....ok sure why not ;)

again, 60+ thousand multiple accounts......

Time Lord likes this.
  20. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Where is the data coming from on the 60k multiple accounts estimate?

Time Lord and Fenway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.