What if everyone had the same amount of skill points?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by mike11, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

What if this game where changed so that everyone had the same amount of skill points from the very start?

Later specialized skills could be unlock through the players advancement through their character, through training specific skill types and also from learning from Grand Masters.

??
    other skill training options?

2. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Not sure Im following you... Everyone does start with the same amount of skill points and though advancement traine specific skill types? Are you meaning just add points to polearms or swords.. and not the skills them selves?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't understand: everyone DOES have the same amount of skill points from the start.

Fox Cunning, Net and Keira OFaolain like this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

I would like if there were not any skillpoints. We could unlock some abilities from trainers by simply training them (or discovering a spell in a book) and making them better just by using them.

The only thing where I would like to see skill points kept is Int-Dex-Str.

The current system favours reskilling of everything for PvE or PvP and does not reward active using of skills.

5. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I second Net... I dont care if some folks find a way to macro training skills.. I belive their are ways to minimize it from happening and a ban if caught would also help. Either way I would enjoy it.

blaquerogue and Net like this.
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

What I meant is that everyone would have the same amount of points irrespective of the players level. I really think all the players should have a similar potential and not having such a level playing field is only going to help divide players into smaller groups than necessary because of segregation.

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So everyone has exactly the same points rendering levels pointless.......take that one step further, everyone has exactly the same house.......there is no rich...no poor.....because all of this segregates players as well...............lets also do away with a player economy because heaven forbid someone might make some money making them rich.

I really don't like your ideals

8. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Sounds like you dont want a game you want utopia.... good luck with that.

thekookyboy and E n v y like this.
  9. mike11

mike11 Avatar

There is already going to be a enormous amount of variation in the game due to all the circumstances, but what I'm saying is that I don't think we need to have a system built in the game from the get-go to add such a large variance - players can already do that themselves without such a system like we have.

Net likes this.
  10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

That's quite a ignorant dissemination of what I had posted, lol!

11. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

So what you are wanting is a cookie cutter class system. Im a warrior, all my skills is exactly the same as the warriors next to me at the same leval, I'm a mage and all my skills are exactly the same as every other mage of the same leval, im a tamer ect? I realy dont like that Idea, I like the fact that everyone is different, a individual. In fact I want to see that expanded.

blaquerogue, E n v y and Fox Cunning like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well your the one who said:

That is basically saying that you don't like player division and segregation and that game mechanics should be adapted to prevent it. You start with levels and you will end up looking at wealth as that is a major factor that creates small groups and segregation.

You might call my comment ignorant.......I call it fact and that you appear blinded by the notion of creating mechanisms to dampen down player freedom and development.

As things stand, every player enters the game with exactly the same level and points.......the pace of how people develop and advance is entirely up to the individual; I don't see any logical reason why that should be any different other than the fact that some players may become invidious of others......that is not a good trait.

13. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

We already have the same number of skill points when we start. And we also gain the same amount when we level up.

The skill system is already pretty marxist in its distribution of wealth... aehm I mean skill points! In fact we all get the same points as everyone else, no matter what we do.
    While I appreciate your opinion, I am still not convinced that even more communism would be beneficial.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Said exactly what I was thinking.

blaquerogue and Keira OFaolain like this.
  15. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Agreed as well

blaquerogue and E n v y like this.
  16. mike11

mike11 Avatar

This i
    I said it and you greatly exaggerated my statement. Player freedom won't need extra mechanism to divide the already modest amount of players up even more. These kinds of responses are usually from those who are more than comfortable to put extra time in leveling so they can sit atop the food chain compared to the other non-leveled players.

This is not the kind of game that I pictured Sota turning out as!

What is wrong with advancement schemes that are catered more towards esteem and renown building over time?? I think Portalarium needs to address this before they start relying EVEN MORE on the leveling system in order to get those types of players interested. I am not against player-investments and retention that way but if we keep going this way it will be a far too-easy way to add 20 or 40 levels every year (just like every other MMO) in order to add more power - which in turn only requires more work in the long run to rebalance everything.

Seen it all before, guys.

17. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

So you want lvls based on renown... how does one gain said renown?

blaquerogue likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Your right.......I will be at the top of the food chain because I'm prepared to put time and effort into advancement......you sir will be at the bottom because you expect the game mechanics to hand it all to you on a plate.

....... I'm starting to get hungry.

Nobody pictures themselves as food.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Play nice for a moment envy, I want to know what exactly he is getting at and wants... I wont get it if your attacking

mike11 likes this.
  20. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I think there is going to be a max lvl.

So really there is going to be a limited amount of points that can be used to make a player how someone wants.

There will be choices to be made. And in the end all will have the same amount of points. They would have just used them different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.