What is attack speed?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Poor game design, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's an Fantasy RPG, why wouldn't people want to play traditional characters? Lord British can play a Paladin because the system allows it, encourages it even. He can still compete because a Paladin is a hybrid. Telling the player "you're not playing right" is the sign of a poor design, not a good one.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

almost 50% of my damage output with both archery and melee builds that I tested were from my free attack so far this release. I wish attack speed would affect the animation because a dagger should have a far faster swing and animation then a 2h sword. I do like how it affects charge time though. That is a nice way to make up for the animation speed failure. Charging attacks while moving was a great way to mitigate damage while getting an opportune moment to get some great big hits, including some awesome crits.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Archers and light armored melee can also pick up the teleport and all the speed of the air magic tree. However I wonder if two players running really fast and teleporting makes it very difficult for either to win because neither should be sitting still enough to kill. I wonder if a stalemate is a reasonable defense against someone that might have an advantage? I think so.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It doesnt tell you you arent playing right. Your squishy with high damage (i assume) so archers hurt. Nothing about that at all says yournot playing right.

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Daggers are geared tward dual wielding with thier high crit and incredible parry ability. Like a melee side arm

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with that. But you're implying it with this statement...
    If I were trying to roleplay in Planetside, I'd agree with you. But this is first and foremost a roleplaying game and there's nothing more "roleplay-like" than a pure mage. If this ROLEPLAYING GAME doesn't support that (and many other traditional choices) then I think that's very poor design.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

yeah i have noticed that the speed option has onyl truly gone towards auto attack and charging speed. Animation speed is meaningless I guess so thus other stats and uses come into play. I guess it works as it is balanceable as well in regards to weapon balance. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wonder though at what accuracy? Do the dual wielders dare use cloth armor? Or will dual wielders opt for the more protective leather. Then their blades also increas fizzle. It seems like they would need some fizzel reducing enchants and possibly highly skilled in the focus tree to match the full caster in stuns and other spells. At these high levels then I suspect the stale mate synerio might need to come into play. Since the DPS guy can do lots of damage and stun. However the mage should be able to do stuns and also run. I think the mage might need to run or keep using DOTs while running. Nobody can be a master at everything. I suspect the pure pure caster would have more spell casting skills or at least higher powered skills than the non caster.

Perhaps it is okay for a pure caster to have a type of character that beats them, because in order to do so it seems like they make themselves more vulnerable to others. If the dual wielder uses cloth armor, they can kill mages yes, but then they are just as susceptible to the archer as the mage is. The archer too can teleport and run fast. So the dual wielder will likely wear leather armor to deal with these guys and also since their skillset requires them to get up close to other melee.

Golem Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

why is that bad? What if I want to be something that would in other games be a predefined class? The pure caster is the obvious one. The others are a bit more difficult to define. I don't think there will be many pure warriors. Although I do think the use of potions might become more common as alchemists start making their potions. Hmm... Seems like alchemy might be a steady source of income. There is no way to use a crown to replenish a potion as far as I know.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Your locking yourself into a predefined class based on definitions by other games, in a classless system that allows you to use armor to protect yourself if you want. Im only implying you dont want to use protective gear

11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

i like how it is this kind of chess board mentality of picking and choosing things you want and then knowing that certain battles will put you at a disadvantage and having to find ways to overcome them... in some ways that makes RPing a disadvantaged build even more fun.... I can choose what I want for my character and have to struggle and find unique ways to overcome adversity to progress in the story.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its not bad, i was referencing his making the decision to not use defensive things in his response that he cant defend himself as a pure mage

13. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

at least a little defensive skill is nice, but if someone wants to go glass cannon, so be it... free will ftw!

14. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Which enchants work on Cast? All the ones I've seen work on hit.
    Like 10% chance to gust on hit.
    But I never hit w/my wands, not in the traditional sense, like with a sword or other melee wep. If you don't use the weapon to physically hit with then you don't get that bonus.

I could be wrong though, maybe I havent seen the ones that work on anything but hit yet. Makes me wanna get back on the table! :D

Time Lord and margaritte like this.
  15. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

I haven't confirmed this myself, but someone posted they got Death Ray damage up 15% from a necromancy gem enchant.

Edit: This is a skill specific enchant, not a damage increase from attunement.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Time Lord and Solaris Aeternum like this.
  16. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

For sure, there is a +10pts twrd attunement when you enchant it. I guess you could choose all base stat enhancements vs. using the Spell enhancements in the weapons (takes a large portion of enhancements away from wands tho).

There are two different types of enchanting/enhancing. Just socketing w/the proper gem is the first step. Then you have to enhance it further. So if I put an Atenism gem in it that will open up further enhancements on a weapon (armor is different). Giving me the the option for say Blindness 10%chance on hit. These are all pointless for wands. You dont hit w/them. So I just pick the base stats, if I get that option.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

My wand has a 15% increase to damage for Obsidian Arrow casting, equipping the wand increases the damage range on the overlay :)

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

15% death ray dmg, 7.5% fire dmg, obsidian arrow strength dmg increase, ice arrow dmg increase, shadow form duration and night step range increase, air doesnt need any bonuses, its already too stronk. But im willing to bet more is on the way.

These are not based on attument. They are seperate enhancments given by enchanting with the appropriate gem socketed, and are in addition to attunment buffs.

EDIT: soothing rain heal ammount bonus, and life magic power increase

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I thought these were going to be turned into bludgeons?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. McKipper

McKipper Avatar

Personally my opinion on this is that archers are currently better. But I chose a Mage, why? Because I enjoy a more creative style of gameplay. Also you have to take into account that the archer is the most developed character thus far. My guess is the Mage will be developed last, and the best things always come last :)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.