What is the line between PvP and Griefing?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Anendrue, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    some one (and not me because I am terrible with charts) should make a flow chart to show the risk reward benefits and the consequence choices that would ensue. It might be more demonstrative to show the argument than argue it with words. Just an Idea.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I'm sorry but I do not think its a good idea. Also possibly lead to feature creep.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

OK you must have missed the point of the previous post. my apologies for not getting this out in a clearer manner. It has no effect on PvE It does not imbalance the game for PvE in any manner. It does not give rare resources to one side or the other. It basically oils down to if you do play style PvP then you get rewards applicable to style PvP. If you only do PvP you get a lot of PvP bonuses. However it has no impact on PvE players unless they choose to go to an area that could freely goto in SPO and they would be unable to gather PvP only resources unless they choose to commit to PvP.

If they do not want to PvP that is a cjoice just as it is a choice not to cast spells or to choose to wear armor.

4. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Well does anyone have a better idea that won't inflame the community to the point of forum bans, accusations, and other flaming events that have occurred. It is one thing to point out the flaws and another to drown them with nay saying lack of solutions. I implore you to seek a way to find a solution that keeps PvP alive and well without being slam dunked by PvErs with shouts of PK, burning torches and a hangman's noose.

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

But your driving away casual PvPers whilst introducing item based PvP...........neither of these things are good and I fail to see where there is a positive outcome elswhere to counter these negative.

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You know as a Pk/PvPer, if some of the community don't like what I do...then fine. The truth is, they don't PvP anyway and simply don't understand that aspect of the game. In a similar way I don't understand RP, yet I have a little more respect than to troll the RP threads whilst making unfounded accusations.

Haters will hate, I will still sleep well at night.

7. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Well as a casual PvPr, I'm not driven away by this suggestion. However the current system is nailing down PvPrs in the same old mold that has killed PvP in numerous other games. So if you don't think this will work then please tell us what will.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I related what happened when I went to get the hat to illustrate an issue that made me switch to SPO instead of trying to deal with the zone. The whole point of the zone is to attract those that wouldn't normally PVP and get them to come in. The spawn killing really affects any enjoyment there. I'm sorry if you feel that is trolling.

Skidd Vortex likes this.
  9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Have to agree. PVP is about the skill, the hunt, a challenge. I stopped doing PVP when it became about killing defenseless people. Attacking when there is zero challenge.

As for SOTA, if you want to attract people to PVP stronger rules are necessary, not free for all rules. People should not be killed before they can complete the zone in process.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You've framed out the idea, and on paper is sounds good, but put into practice you end up with 2 possible directions. 1: mirrored rares that a in effect the same thing, only labeled PvP or PvE. 2: gear dependency for PvP. I am guessing you can already see that PvP doesn't like that.

What I mean is we need specific examples of "PvP enchants or skills" What skill would be PvP only? What enchant? Name some, you will find quickly there will be a list of replies on how each one you list is viable for PvE.

If you put PvP rare for PvP skills that have a mirrored PvE rare with PvP skills, you have created segregation. Then we are right back where we started with someone not heavy into PvP being attacked by someone who is and ends up feeling griefed.
    Place equal amounts of rares in both the 95% of the world that is PvE (Open PvP if someone wants to go that route) and in the 5% that is a PvP hex.

Then adjust the access to these rares by difficulty to obtain. PvP has it's very own level of difficulty and will require a strong control over the ability to obtain rares. PvE will also have it's very own level of difficulty. Open PvP will be the heart ache in this case. I have yet to see any solution or intent to find a solution for open PvP when it comes to obtaining rares in the 95%.

11. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

yes that is a problem

Bounties could help

However I guess the PvP community can not agree on a common method to implement PvP and if we can not then how can we expect to be acknowledged in a meaningful way. Perhaps it is time to just advocate for scalable raids from solo to 40 peeps. Maybe we can find a challenge in there somewhere.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  12. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

I would like to see extremely hard PvE challenges for rares but we have not seen a pass at that yet. Right now PvE is a joke. But at this time it is about mechanics not gameplay or balance (too much).

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The current state of PvP is not the PvP system that will be in at launch. What is there right now is framework. A work in progress. A place for PvP to PvP.

Them putting the hat quest in there could be looked at as a mistake. I'd rather they put a huge warning sign that you have to click a few times. Each warning reminding you that SPO is an option for now but for those that with to add PvP to their hat question continue clicking.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So PvE gets a pass for having unfinished challenges but PvP does not? The PvP hex is not polished, not even in a state worth polishing. Nor is PvE.

At least I hope not. Ugh, there would be a mass exodus.

15. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Uhm that's not the point really. The discussion had a lot or comments from that because of the initial implementation. Knowing there will be changes and fixes I hoped to get people to agree on a common PvP framework that is acceptable to the entire community.

As for PvE how can we discuss a hard core difficult area that doesn't exist yet. And I'm not giving it a pass. Currently it is a real joke. You kit solo elves until you can do large reds and away you go provided you have the time.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What if PvPers see PvP as the same thing? The fact that people are spawn camping is a sign that they are less than challenged.

17. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

I see it as a sign of absolute boredom and a lack of a challenge. (Gotta go talk with yall tomorrow.)

18. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well I would really like to see a true risk/reward system. If I hunt and kill a worthy opponent I should receive an appropriate reward and the opposite be true as well.

Kaisa likes this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Agreed, I want to PvP for a reason. I don't want to attack on sight just for the sake of attacking. I have FPS for that and FPS with only that get shelved really fast.

Even a basic FPS has objectives.

A moral system and a NPC reaction to player's actions tied in with PvP at least gives a beginning stance for purpose of PvP.

20. Andar Vexx

Andar Vexx Avatar

The PvP community has silently made a pact that if you dress up as a girl complete with makeup, fake hoo hoos and a dress (preferably red) you can come watch us PvP or even do the hat quest but if you have the hat you have to wear it.

Just be aware we have a few feminist PvPers who get mad because they think it sexist but they are few and far between.

Remember to tickle Elmo.

Fine Print: While the above may allow you a stay of execution, no one controls anyone so you may die anyway but at least you'll die pretty. People attacking, healing people in combat, or trying to gather resources in their dresses are KOS forever! PvP management is not responsible for the actions of the members and therefore can not be held accountable if you are hit on while in a dress. Beware of certain guild leaders as they hit on anything in a dress. Due to child laws by wearing a dress you state that you are of legal age of 18 or older. I may still punch you in the face but I won't take your lunch money. During PvP events the entrance is normally non-kos but nobody can stop people if they want to kill you. Leaving the entrance may result in incidental fratricide. All rules and regulations are tentative and may at any time without warning or provocation be revoked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.