What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As many as you like, you're wrong. Per the devs.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There is no risk....not with the way people will play it. No one is trying to avoid your idea of risk. Some people honestly just hate dealing with the people that generally play that style and have no interest. Do you understand what I say when I say no interest? It doesn't mean you should try and force me into your little play ground so you can lord over killing me or whatever it is you need to make the game fun. Meaningful should mean meaningful to both sides not just the ones who want it their way.

3. Drocis the Devious

PVP is a first pass, it needs a lot of work. A LOT of work before it's meaningful.

I couldn't agree more.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The existence of PvP does not mean everyone MUST participate. So that cannot be used as a reason to try to force it on people. Also, "meaningful PvP".. subjective term as it is.. is not limited to specific zones.

5. Drocis the Devious

Everyone doesn't have to participate...just the people that are in the zone (and online).

Don't want to participate, don't go in the zone.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The whole point of playing SPO was that it would be like SP offline but with all the changes on the map and update....and the ability to go fully online when you feel like it. Now it seems that it is being restricted to a niche mode that will be restricted to where you can travel.

I guess I haven't been loud enough, made multiple threads on what I want to get what I want.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Per the devs.. anyone entering PvP zones in SPO were NOT going to get any perks that entering in PvP were going to give.. therefore.. per the devs.. SPO was never going to be loophole for resources, the only thing that really separates PvP zones from others in the context of resource output. That had been planned since PvP zones were first announced.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You can keep saying that, but it seems to get forgotten.

9. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Bowen,

I answered your question in my initial response. You summarily dismissed my explantion, not on the substance, but with ad hominem. I've seen numerous other posts follow this example. Since in my previous experience we established that we can be reasonable and rational folks, let me take another stab at answering the question. Hopefully, in a manner that is irrefutable.

Why I want large, open PvP zones
    The opportunity, and risk, of theft. Not the theft that occurs when a player is killed in battle. Straight up my-hand-in-your-back-pocket theft.​

So by suggesting that all players be able to avoid all PvP zones at all times, for the entirety of the existence of SotA, is denying an entire playstyle to an entire cross-section of the SotA pledge-base. Thieves. Like me. Large PvP zones, preferably with settlements, provide a fertile target-rich environment for my chosen in-game profession.​

I'm sure that not a single poster on this, or any, thread intends to deny me the right to play the game in the way that I see fit. But the limitations that are being suggested, to nerf large PvP zones to the point of irrelevance, trend towards this result. RG's story about the Thief reflects a (begrudging?) respect for the fact that there are players that chose to engage in non-linear, sometimes predatory play. We were offered the same invitation to join this community as anyone else. We request that we be given the space (literally) in which to meaningfully play the game as we see fit.​

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    To not be able to gain access to items unless you are flagged for pvp is wrong in this game. You can dance around the issue all you want. This game was billed on purely consensual pvp. Sure you can say that you made the choice to go into the zone. But then I am forced to buy from you if I do not. I might as well not have a gatherer at that point. What would the purpose be. Lets just buy eveything from the pvp vendors.

11. Drocis the Devious

Ok, I didn't know that's what you were talking about.

As long as I've been paying attention this is what the devs had said, so I have to take your word that they changed their minds. But to me that just means they realized it was an exploit (which it totally is) and which I believe Chris literally said. But whatever, everything is subject to change and I just hope they stick to their guns and keep it the way it should be. SPO can not get into Shardfalls or PVP areas. That's 100% the right thing to do.

12. Drocis the Devious

We disagree, I get it.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

There is no pickpocket thieves in at least episode one :(

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Explain the exploit....you keep saying it, but you never say why. If there are no extra resources, what are they exploiting?

15. Drocis the Devious

Wait until the dev+ discussions. Subject to change?

16. Drocis the Devious

There are resources, the devs are not making you a special SPO shardfall.

But even if they did, that's part of the lure..."you want to see the shardfall and explore it?" That comes with risk. Boo!

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

They said they are reopening the discussion on it and might have a deep dive on it so yes, hopefully they hear some of our opinions.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really? So...you think the devs should spend time developing zones so that a subset can get their way?

Every instance is a special instance for SPO, wouldn't be any different for a shardfall...do you understand how these instances work?

19. Drocis the Devious

The answer to all your questions is yes.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, when they are using money from the whole my answer is no. There had better not be an item/ore that can only be gathered there as well.

What a waste of resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.