What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok serious question. Between recent comments made by the devs and current discussions related to shardfalls and PvP zones. I've really begun to wonder what's the point of having PvP zones at all?

PvPers can PvP pretty much anywhere. They don't need zones exclusively for that purpose do they? They can be an attraction as a place you're more likely to find active PvPers but then isn't that PvP for sport? Terrain aside, how is that any different than a PvP arena? A concept I've heard many PvPers here are not particularly fond of.

Is it really meant to attract non-PvPers to PvP by offering a higher yield of rarer resources? From discussion I've heard over the past couple of days it doesn't seem that many non-PvPers are especially tempted by this. Is a resource you can obtain elsewhere really sufficient enough that people risk what they believe will be an unpleasant experience?

Speaking of resources, it would be common practice for guilds to go in large groups which would minimize their own risk while denying those resources to anyone else in the same instance. Under those conditions, what incentive is there for an individual (especially non-PvPers) to risk almost certain death and all that implies, for no gain?

So what do PvPers actually gain from a PvP only zone that they can't do anywhere else? What will anyone really gain apart from large guilds getting more resources than anyone else (on average). And is it worth it?

Are resources really enough to entice people into PvP? Because from the responses I see on the forum the answer to that is going to be no. Resources is not going to do it. It certainly isn't going to for me.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think the devs have good intentions. But we all know the saying for that. "good intentions pave the road to ....* They devs have openly stated that they want to do this to promote pvp. And I agree with you Bowen, it will do just the opposite. I look forward to the dev+ discussions about this, and the deep dives. Right now I am not feeling good about the way it is heading. This is my own opinion of course.

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I have a feeling they are waiting to reveal some as-yet-unheard-of control objective to shardfalls. But, that is pure speculation on my part.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm beginning to feel that way myself about this. I want PvPers to enjoy the game but I don't see what they get out of this.

The game should match PvPers up in instances so they should be able to have good PvP just about anywhere. So PvP zones don't seem to be about that. So they lose nothing if PvP zones were to be removed.

I've always wanted to be a developer but sometimes I think veteran developers have been developers for too long. Like they have a habit of thinking a certain way and not really taking player behavior into account. People who avoid PvP often do so because of bad experiences and no amount of enticement is going to get them over it.
    What really did it for me.. and helped me understand PvP better.. believe it or not.. was role play.

I think they're really on to something by having quests that flag you for PvP.. but resources? I'm just having a hard time seeing it.

Now there seems to be a lot of hard feelings developing around PvP zones.. especially over forcing people out of SPO and I have to wonder.. is this intention really worth the results?

5. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I agree. PvP zones are silly and I've been saying that since day 1. They should allow pvp everywhere and pvm everywhere. Just don't allow people not tagged as pvpers to be attacked by pvpers. In fact just keep pvpers to their own instance completely. Then you don't need to isolate tiny sections to them. They can play pvp in the whole world and never bother a non pvper.

6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

would love to see an answer for this, all it seems to be doing is gating off areas of the map

7. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

No need for these silly game mechanics and putting rares and extra resources into pvp zones. Just makes everything clunky and makes pvpers mad that they are isolated to tiny parts of the map.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I believe that's what the game is supposed to do anyway.. match PvPers up in instances with other PvPers and non-PvPers with non-PvPers.

So if the purpose of the PvP zone is to entice non-PvPers I think the devs are due for a disappointment.

9. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

This sounds like a BLAST! I can't wait to pickpocket the PKers after they loot one of the "large groups". *rubs hands together, while dreaming of free monies...*

The short answer, Bowen, is Yes. Resources can be enough. UO proved it to be true.

We saw this in Felucca, after Trammel got overrun by non-PvPers on all shards in UO. This is actually how my friends and I eventually got into PvP. First, because we headed to the PvP "zone" for resources. Then, we met super nice people. They just preferred the old school open PvP world that had been the original UO. Then, we found that we enjoyed the competition of pitting our skills against other players more than we did AI mobs. Afterall, there is no greater opponent in any game than another person. (Except perhaps for IBM's Watson, but we're not there yet, right?)

So, yes, Virginia Bowen. There is a Santa Claus reason for Open PvP zones. Some of us just like them better. And if you ever want a buddy to run out there with, look me up. :)

PS - BTW, they don't have to put more resources or greater spawn rates out there, per se. As long as the scarcity is same as it is elsewhere, competition for resources in non-PvP zones will drive people to look for alternatives. The problem can solve itself.

Moiseyev Trueden and Albus like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Whole point of PvP zones is to have unrestricted PvP without official 'rules' that cater for a particular ideology. Its about freedom, where all players regardless of style or level can interact. It is not about aliening fairness.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    freedom is a funny word, because in order to have freedom you must give others freedom. To encroach on others freedom is denying freedom. Its a good word to use though, if it is used with respect. When used as a badge to do anything without consequence, then its flawed.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I usually have issues with UO comparisons and this is going to have to be one them I'm afraid. UO had a MUCH smaller map and as such.. fewer good places to gather resources to begin with. I'll be able to get whatever resources I like.. somewhere else.. and I hate to say it but one person's story may be the exception rather than the rule.. as it were.

I'm glad you found you liked it and I won't say resources would be 100% ineffective.. but UO players usually didn't have years of experience in online games to develop strong opinions of PvP. The intent here is at a disadvantage in this regard in terms of enticing people to join in.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You get your "unrestricted PvP" everywhere else anyway. That's what the PvP flag is for.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Issue is not only do some of the community want to restrict Shardfall areas, they also want PvP restricted in towns as it "breaks immersion". Not being funny but PvPers should be given a break.

I wouldn't dream of telling an RPer how to RP......why are PvPers being told how they should PvP by Non-PvPers.

15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Personally, I really don't get pvp. I've tried it, I've even won a few times (lost a lot more, of course:p) but for me, it was just ...meh. I don't get it. I didn't even enjoy it when I won, really.

But I do get that other people enjoy it, and I'm glad they're having fun with it. I just don't really care to do it myself. I'm to the point where, if I go into a pvp zone (for one of the games I'm playing because it has something I need) and I run across someone, I don't even bother running away. I let you kill me, carry on with what I was doing and if you repeatedly hunt me down, I just go do something else after a while. I don't rage, I don't cry, I don't care. It's just an annoyance that can be dealt with by leaving the zone. I'll come back later to try again to see if it might be any better but if it gets too annoying, I'll just buy it from someone else.

So, yeah, I chickened and went to SPO for the Grand Tour. It's basically something you can solo and solo pvp really has no appeal. Which is what Shards seem to me. Solo pvp (or even grouped pvp) soully for the purpose of pvping.

Now, on the other hand, maybe if it was a once-in-a-while event, with the forces of good and evil in the balance, and you could sign up for a side and do it with a whole country full of people. That might be interesting. Because at the end of the event, it would be done, you could pat yourselves on the back, celebrate or boo-hoo and then you could go back to enjoying PVE. And maybe if the consequence of winning or losing were not punishing but rewarding to the group as a whole, it would be even more enjoyable. And if those were to take place in the Shard, then maybe I'd see a reason to go. Maybe.:p

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The thing is, you made videos to show why pvpers need rules. You made video evidence of all your exploits that you did without rules. Now, imagine if you were a dev, your thread is a gold mine of things to fix.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's the thing here.. NO ONE is telling PvPers how to PvP. The only restriction to shardfalls right now is against non-PvPers.. not PvPers. Towns are another issue entirely.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't expect you to understand the PvP community, what we do, the way some us will mindlessly attack others etc etc.........In the same way I will never understand RP, I dont 'get' some of the events....some I just find plain weird.

That being said, I have complete respect for RPers, how they go about their business and what they choose to do. It would just be nice if parts of the community would offer that same level of respect to the PvP community whether that be a duellist, warring guild or a Pk.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What exactly would a PvPer lose in SotA from not having a PvP exclusive zone? What is it you can do there that you can't do anywhere else in the world?

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well I'm going to take a wild guess on the basis that there is likely to be 'consequences' to PvPing in towns and cities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.