What sort of armor should I wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What I'm wearing now just is not cutting it anymore. For a time, I'd shifted over to crafted gear I had picked up from a Public Vendor but it's all worn out now and I'd rather invest in some new pieces instead of feeding that old stuff COTOs. What I have now: the chest piece is heavy and everything else is light armor, and it's all starter gear from pledge, telethon, and add-on store.

I absolutely need some better armor - I can manage just about any scene in game running solo in starter gear - but I'd like to be able to solo bosses and The Rise like the big boys - starter gear aint cutting it there. I have ranged, shield, heavy, light, and blades skilled up along with most of the magic schools, tactics, subterfuge, and focus. No GM's just yet.

Here's my avatar with applied skill buffs, no stances and no potion buffs. What warrior path should I choose? What weapons should I use? What sort of armor should I wear? I have some obsidian armor and bone armor, but I need to have it masterworked. And going the way of the mage, I can get down with that but I'd definitely need some better gear to pull that off. What should I do? I'm sort of at a crossroads now with regard to skill development and where I should start focusing my XP. Any and all help here is greatly appreciated, I'm ready to hear all criticisms and recommednations... Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Innascual Inch and Time Lord like this.
  2. MongooseOne

MongooseOne Avatar

First things first....

Hire a fashion designer!

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Id wait a little and see which way the wind blows with the next release. Some schools are getting a buff i believe like melee, polearms in particular and while not speccing into fotm i would hope we can see which way the direction of the combat is going and give you more chance to make an informed choice. Your gear should be tied to your build so might be just best to hold off a week for more info before making concrete choices....

Duke Avery likes this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Or if you have the money/obisidian chips for it get @Sara Dreygon to craft and enchant some masterwork obsidian plate for you. It may not be the best out there, but DAMN does it look good! Just be warned, once you go black you never go back! I know I didn't! ;)

Duke Avery likes this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

what?! I like my look, although it does dress up quite a bit with a frogkin, lich, or cuttlekin ring :D

6. MongooseOne

MongooseOne Avatar

No...just no....

Long sleeve tunic with a short skirt is so R24...

TranZdog and Vidgrip like this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I've been messing around with dual wielded blades, and starting to really like it - but I got spoiled with archery being able to reach out and address opposing forces at range. I like casting too, and can go single wand with a shield, or dual wands - even with heavy armor equipped my fizzles aren't that bad, even considering the recent changes. I've been using default game settings for everything but video and music and I'm just ready to start customizing things. Going to transition from k/m to a gameboard and see what I can do with a next-level build. I will definitely wait for R40 before I commit the funds to new weps/gear - just trying to get an idea of what other folks might see as potential when they look at my stats and where my avatar is right now.

hahaha

8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I think you got the right idea Duke Avery. Wait for next release and if it works well for swords ask Sara for advice on fighting style/deck. She can also craft you the gear you need to optimize your skill set. R/Boris/El Pirata

Duke Avery likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And trying to not look all all alike is a great challenge in this game. We want to be individuals *stomps foot*, but it is getting better and better so yay for that. ;)

Xandra7 and Duke Avery like this.
  10. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Nice mail armor. You've got good taste.:)

Duke Avery likes this.
  11. mercster

mercster Avatar

No pants allowed.

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

You look fabulous! Just wear as is.

13. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I've gotta admit, I've had a hard time dressing myself as well. Still need a robe, or at least something comparatively magely.

A decent hat wouldn't go astray either; I'm amazed I couldn't find a good one with the tour guides. Maybe I'm being picky there though - I'm after something with a bit of class akin to the UO bonnet.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If you can not fizzle with heavy, then half your problems are over. Pick chain or plate (don't know much about Obsidian.)

You can either use all the money you'll ever have by being picky, or allow a bit of hodgepodge and save a fortune by buying peoples ridiculously under priced (under cost) items. This takes a bit of shopping though.

Look at this chart, I think it's up to date.

Pick the mats you like the best. Since you are shifting between all sorts of different builds, magic to melee, (and assuming this is your only set of armor) you might want to make it work for everything and have the weapons supply build specific stats. In my mind that would mean lots of Meteoric Iron (Damage Resist) or White Iron (Health & Damage Resist,) and Carpacian Straps (Focus & Spell Damage,) or Faustian Straps (More Focus.)

Go around to vendors looking for gear that is of that type, and that have sockets that are beneficial. I'm sure you know to hold CTRL while mousing over. Only buy pieces that started out as Exceptional (+1.) They don't have to be maxed, but get a good base set, even starting with +1's saves you a lot of time/money. If you get lucky and find one with 4 MW or Enchants, but none of the other type, that thing is worth way more than 2 MW + 2 Enchants.

If you can't find everything, your crafter will have to keep making it until she gets a +1. No sense not having it for long term gear.

I have repeatedly been told to make sure to socket your chest piece BEFORE applying MW or Enchant, in order to open up the possibility of cool spells on it. If you see a chest piece with those already on, then I guess they did it in the right order.

Find your crafter & enchanter and give her the pieces you want done, plus a fortune in mats.

Cross your fingers, pray to the Elder Gods, do a kooky dance, and hope that not too many of your pieces blow up as they get increased to the full power gear you are looking for.

Repeat for gear that blew up.

Wait until R40, look at current outfits that are patterns, buy with gold, dollars or use some from your already existing rewards. Apply.

Look cool. Kick butt.

Duke Avery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.