Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

When did delay become a desirable game feature?

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm curious of why the tutorial made you want to uninstall...what you wrote didn't really tell me.

randomonium likes this.
  2. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Sure, I can be more specific
    1) It's some sort of instance, so you are basically trapped in it
    2) All modern MMOs have some similar kind of "idiot box" staging area for newbies, and every single character goes through it - which means you better learn to love it, you'll be seeing it over and over. I was very optimistic that Shroud was aimed a bit higher than that - with no !/? and pointer based quests, etc. Having a forced tutorial means they've decided to start heading off down that path of "players are morons"
    3) It's very awkward and cludgy (at this stage), with the screen stealing and text scrolling, making it really unpleasant to sit through
    4) Far too long, and when I clicked "turn off hints" it kept doing them

Basically, I have a very limited amount of play time what with having a real life as most of us do. Making me jump through hoops like this makes me just want to uninstall and go do something that's a better use of my time.
    For R12, I'm assuming this is all just "in process" stuff, naturally, and so I'm going to be back for R13.
    If this were a boxed game, I'd just chuck it and write it off (like I did WoW, Neverwinter, Assassin's Creed, etc).

Ultima has never been about tutorial modes that I can ever recall, and I hope they stay that way. Keep assuming the gamers are smarter than that, and let them opt out of boring repetitive stuff if they want!

rune_74, Joviex and Jordizzle like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I do believe a new character should be allowed to opt out of the starting tutorial scene, at least in multiplayer open mode.

rune_74, randomonium and Joviex like this.
  4. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Honestly I dont even rember the start up thing. I dont care for those either but I have come to expect it from a game.

Not remembering it is better than what I got from Archage. In archage I played the game for a few hours and it was still just guiding me around. Made it seem like that was all the game was so I have nver went back.

This game does not seem to be that way at all. I mostly just run around doing what I want and stumble into a few quests along the way.

randomonium likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well even the single player Ultimas kinda had it, its just that it was in combination with the documentation. So, when you bought Ultima VII, in addition to the main booklet, there was a small booklet that said what you should do when you start off the game, and told you how to do it.

The issue now is nobody wants to read manuals. :> So they do it through the actual gameplay.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Exactly - and that's how I believe Shroud needs to be - you cruise around doing whatever, and stumble into quests as you're in the mood.
    Archage sounds like precisely the scenario I would like to avoid.

Sebastion and Duke Raas like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The only issue I have with this is that how do you have a storyline without any quests pushing you one way or the other? Some quests by that nature should be interconnected and not just if you stumble on them. That would make sense if this was like UO a where there really wasn't a storyline.

8. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I also felt "time draining" to be very active. Most of my time I was either
    • watching the "loading" screen (encounters on vale map & entering towns/areas)
    • watching my avatar run with num-lock
    • OoooOo OoooO

I expect that from free2play titles, not from a game which has many backers and is financed already.

Budner and randomonium like this.
  9. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

When I said stumble I meant like in the old Ultima games where you just find a person that was mentioned before while exploring and doing other things. You was not directly guided to them ,you was just made aware of them existing. So far this seems about how the game is going now. Which I like.

randomonium and rune_74 like this.
  10. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Precisely. I *like* the way that worked, and the way it's working now. I don't want to be forced into a story, I want a world full of stories as Ultima has always been, as even games like GTA are to an extent. Shroud seems to be well on track for that, and I'm looking forward to it.

That, and no "kill X rats" quests, because, seriously man, that's MMO grinding stuff and has no place in a real game.

Sebastion likes this.
  11. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I originally said way back about random encounters would be a good Idea like in Baldurs gate, But the random encounters need to have a small objective and story to them like in BG, please!.

randomonium likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.