Why are my fellow avatars making the case for closed development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that's true and is mostly based on assumption. If those concerns of the offline game content continue, then it's always on the developer's minds, yet I do believe "through my own assumptions" that a continual development is just that, "a continual development".

Time may tell how that all comes out one way of the other, "yet I know this issue is never going away, because I'm not going away" ;)
    https://www.seedinvest.com/portalarium/series.b <---<<< and that's a fact :) I'm not going anywhere until Time of the Avatar ends ;)~Time Lord~

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How would you think would backers of Chronicles of Elyria or Ashes of Creation react if two years from now an Alpha Version of those games would play like a single-player coop game with some MMO hubs and the devs would say, "we didn't change anything. The game is still a MMO... But we will continue to work on it." Two years later, the game still plays the same...

MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would think that you are comparing apples to oranges.

I don't believe either of those games had a single player offline mode, ever. Did they? I think ours is the only one that supports so many modes.

jammaplaya and Time Lord like this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Elyria will get an offline prologue. What if they decide that this is the way to go and continue on this road? ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Well again, SOTA is not saying there will not be a single player offline mode. They are not saying anything different than what they said in the Kickstater concerning that primary feature. The depth and the exact feature set however has changed over time and because of feedback. What you're suggesting would imply that SOTA doesn't have a single player offline mode, and they do.

6. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

So it is okay to package a turd in a box and say "We shipped the product to you. If you don't like it too bad." That's the action you are defending by saying it exists.

Vagabond Sam and Mykll like this.
  7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That is to say it has a single player experience in the same way it has conquering towns and trade routes.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think this is all up for interpretation. Blizzard could create an offline mode for WoW and sell it as a single player RPG. Technically it would be a single player RPG but people would expect something like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 instead and might be disappointed.

Autumn Willow and Time Lord like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's a continual development product so those both don't hold water with SOTA. I think at some point's they are different games, online and offline and it's that separation which will continue to become even more unique to each.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I have been finding bugs like you would not believe. I also found enough to get the Ants cloak and Master Pest Controller title.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Excellent Effort @discipleofweb ! :)~Time Lord~

fonsvitae and discipleofweb like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Do you really think so?

Because I thought I was saying that although Portalarium's communication is often very poor, they were not "packaging up a turd" they were simply trying to make the best game they could make. Would people pay all of this extra money for digital stuff in a single player RPG? Probably not, in fact Portalarium is giving most of it away to players that are in offline mode.

Certainly once they actually DO ship a game to you if you think it sucks then you have every right to say that. But right now we're putting the cart before the horse, aren't we?

13. Drocis the Devious

In single player offline mode?

If yes, good for you! They should give you double rewards for that since it appears that you're in the minority. Also, I don't see you freaking out every other day, props on that too.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I actually think this is more like "the base of the game where all else can be built upon it" ;) Like the board of a board game, first comes the board.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I've seen this show before with lots of different businesses. Things start to go South. Customer feedback becomes more and more negative. People start blaming the customers for hurting the business with their negative feedback. Nothing new, and always ridiculous. The product makes the feedback.

3devious, MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I differ from that view. I always have seen "it's always darkest before the dawn" ;)~TL~

Gabriel Nightshadow and Lazlo like this.
  17. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

So if I order a burger, and the cook starts making a taco, when do I voice my concern? After he pulls out the taco shell? After he dumps ground beef on it? Do I have to give him the benefit of the doubt until he actually hands it to me?

MrBlight and Mykll like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

The problem with your example is that it has nothing to do with this game.

SOTA has a single player offline mode. What are they failing to give you? Using your analogy, they are making you a hamburger (not a taco) and you're saying you don't like the way the hamburger looks. You're not at liberty to say how it tastes since it's still cooking (under development). So answer me this, is it reasonable when the chef has put a raw hamburger patty down on the grill to start calling it a taco and being upset? Because that is what some people are doing here.

19. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The Kickstarter didn't say it was going to provide an offline MMO, it said a single player ultima experience. Currently, SP offline is an empty MMO.

Mykll likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Ok, that's your opinion, but it is a single player offline mode, and I fail to see how it's not an ultima experience. If it's not the experience you were looking for, that's unfortunate, I hope that changes for you. But how are they possibly going to customize the experience so that everyone feels it meets the bar they're personally looking for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.