Why are my fellow avatars making the case for closed development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I have found a few playing an offline character recently. The most lately were on the QA server.

2. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos At the end of the day , my advice is to play your game the way you wish to play it. You paid for it and if role-playing is what you want , do it.. Build your town to be one remembered for the posterity of The Shroud you love. We are all only responsible for our own individual opinions, likes and dislikes. If it were easy there would be no real life wars today. Sometimes the ambassador loses the sight of the endeavor. Never lose your spark or tenacity. ;)

3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thanks for the caveats.

I would tend to agree that these two groups of individuals probably will never be appeased. Therefore, it seems to be the only path forward is to go find some other game that can better fit their needs. Yet, some of these people choose to spend their free time defaming Portalarium instead of playing other games. Why do you think that is?

To my view, it isn't wrong to feel any one way or another. But it is wrong to defame Portalarium over one's bad feelings. If a judge can be convinced that Portalarium suffered damage to their reputation, those parties can actually be held liable for their actions.

I get the impression that some of the more inconsolable individuals believe that they have a "right to free speech" that permits them to defame others on the Internet with impunity.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Elwyn and Time Lord like this.
  4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Because Ultima and/or Lord British was extremely significant to them in their formative years and they feel betrayed? Again, I'm sure they each have their own reasons, but it seems to me they spend time doing it because it's a thing they care about more than 'other games'.

Maybe so, assuming they're US citizens. I don't see it happening, not likely that any damages obtained would exceed the legal fees and bad press, and I don't think it's worth much of our time speculating about.

Alexander, Time Lord and MrBlight like this.
  5. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Just a slight correction, the development budget for Witcher 3 was ~$46 million. It was developed in 3.5 years. (source)

I still don't think they are comparable, but just want to correct the figures.

Aldo and Time Lord like this.
  6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That whole first amendment thing gets in the way and all...

MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Baron Drocis Fondorlatos said: ↑
    1. Although I've played many single player RPG's (just about everything other than Ultimas) I've never played an Ultima in my life.

Baron Drocis Fondorlatos said: ↑
    Ok, that's your opinion, but it is a single player offline mode, and I fail to see how it's not an ultima experience.

Mykll, MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, correct, I said those two things.

When I look up into the sky, I see the virtues and the anti-virtues. When I read the story I'm told about the Avatar. When I hear people talk about the old games they often mention the parallels between the those games and ours. I didn't say it was Ultima 10, I said I failed to see how it was not an "ultima experience." Which is all the Kickstarter promised.

Sir_Hemlock, Elwyn and Time Lord like this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

It all comes down to a game trying to appease a mass audience across lines that generally don't get crossed well.

There are a lot of parts they put in that benefit the masses but, there are a few pieces that give to one and detract from others. When the overall direction you see the game taking is taking it farther away from what you were wanting in order to accomadate a play style you do not enjoy, then it gets difficult. People feel like their voice is not being heard, and then certain ill-timed and unthoughtfull developer comments tend to add to that feeling. Like a car crash your watching on slow motion and if you scream a little louder, just maybe the developer will look up from his keyboard in time to hit the breaks (Decay sucks). But everyone has a limit at which the game becomes unplayable to them based on changes and a few items are pushing very close to that edge for some people.

Mykll, Kaisa, MrBlight and 4 others like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The real development of our game is about to begin. Every board game must first start with the board before the rest of the game gets filled in. With SOTA's program of ongoing development, it's not like games we may be use to being involved in. With SOTA, this means ongoing and never ending development, instead of the behind the scenes work with it's releases being more spread out.

Some will always be watching the individual wave, while some see the wider ocean of possibilities. "It's still very possible that our Off-Line hopes can come true". To say any different, is to say that something is completed and will never change, which is a very false assumption based on observing the single wave.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Aldo likes this.
  11. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

At this point, if closed development meant a successful game at launch I'd be all for it.

3devious, mass and Time Lord like this.
  12. reuge

reuge Avatar

Rg only has 30 million to go space.

Sentinel2 and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What may seem like conflict at one level is harmony at a higher level.
    Every event is essential to the whole thing o_O
    Such is our game's development ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

The first amendment does not give people the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want. Particularly if there is malicious intent.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A very long and complex Flailing About VFX with very low damage, small area of effect centered on the caster.

Tsumo2 and Time Lord like this.
  16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

In the US, truth is an affirmative defense and as long as a comment is phrased as an opinion you are going to be uphill in court regardless of how malicious a statement is.

Mykll, MrBlight and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

And so... This justifies defaming Portalarium? I'm just curious why BDF gets chastised for his tone, meanwhile these disgruntled backers get a free pass for poor behavior?

Since they're feeling hurt, they don't have to behave like grownups?

The point is that society at large (as represented by our justice system) appears to look poorly upon defaming others, not to speculate about an actual lawsuit.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

It's called the internet... and opinions like arseholes, every one has one, and they usually stink. I don't even click on the "*****" forums any more. Just makes my blood pressure go up. I like the progress. I QA and report bugs I find. I make simple suggestions... and then I play. Life is too short for all the whine. If it's that bad... instead on typing all that negativity, take a hike and yell from the top of the hill. You may find once you get to the top of the hill, you have nothing left to yell about. (and if you are one of the people above, and your fat-ass has a heart attack on the way up... bonus!) :D

19. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

True. But the point I'm making is not to discuss the potential merits of a defamation suit.

The point is simply that people do not have an absolute right to free speech, particularly where there is malintent.

20. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Whats up with people saying they differentiate themselves from all the others...while having a verbal uppercut at the end of their sentences putting them in the same row?

Its called the Internet...I get it.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.