Why Cant I run this game at a decent frame rate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluezone5, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

So I've been playing this game on and off. Decided to come back today and give it another go since it's now fully released. Started the game online to be greeted with 16-28fps (Maxed Out Settings). Said oh bummer and continued adjusting the graphics settings. I was only able to break the 40fps (41fps is the max) mark when I lowered every graphical setting to its bottom point. I'm not someone who really cares all that much about graphics, I just wanna play the game smoothly (whether I have to play it on the highest setting or the lowest setting). Love the game, but if anyone has any advice on increasing fps or why I might be experiencing these issues, please speak and be heard!

PC Specs:

Processor- Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)

Video Card- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

Display- 17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display with Tobii IR Eye-tracking

Memory (RAM)- 32GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x16GB)

Hard Drive- 256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Wireless- Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Gaelis, smack and Astirian like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

The developers.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lets try to help instead. He shouldn't be topping out at 40 with those specs. I dip down as well but sometimes I'm at 60 steady, and OP should be hitting that sometimes as well.

4. Purie

Purie Avatar

There is little we can do to help him if any. Even if he spent money on more expensive rig.... It wouldn't help him much. All up to devs...
    Some zones where they actually cared about performance there isn't as many issues. I'm very pessimistic about ever having a good and stable fps in POT / Cities with ton of deco.
    10fps dance parties ftw.:p
    Can't even please their core RP audience :rolleyes:

5. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I believe the issue is the high resolution - my PC is only marginally ahead of yours and I get decent performance at 1920 x 1080. I know of others with much more powerful PCs that struggle with performance at higher resolutions.

6. dayero

dayero Avatar

Running the game on such a small screen I doubt 4k does much visually. Running a lower resolution with higher quality settings will likely look much better. I can run 1440p with a 1070 gtx with decent settings and 40-50fps. 1080p might be even better for you though since it's exactly half of your current resolution so you won't have diminished quality due to running a non-native resolution.

Caska and Feeyo like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Unfortunately, this will forever plague the game until they decide to take drastic measures to fix it or change engines.

Performance is very highly sensitive to the scene you're in and how many dynamic objects are in the scene. I have 6700k + Titan Xp (Pascal) and my framerate will go from 10fps to 60fps, depending on the scene and what's in front of me.

But yeah, drop that rez and turn off shadows as a start, if that helps.

What's your CPU, GPU, resolution and gfx settings do you play in? I rarely hit 60fps so I'm wondering how you are getting 60fps steady. I play at 2560x1600 and have it set to Best Quality, with setting maxed. Even on the overworld I'm getting 45fps. 60fps if I just stare at the sky :rolleyes:

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I'd start with replacing the wireless network adapter to a hard wired ethernet if possible. Other than that, you could try lowering the resolution and/or turning off shadows.

Caska likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There is a bug that causes Unity to crash if you've got Citrix Workspace, don't know if it's causing performance issues as well. Unistalling Ctirix Workspace and downgrading to Citrix Receiver 4.12 is the work around.

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hello @bluezone5 and welcome back!

To be honest, I don't think there's a lot tp be done on your end. My laptop is a fair shake weaker than yours (control....envy....losing....) but our performance isn't that different.

I did a "study" where I chose repreaentative scenes of several kinds and tested my fps in in each of them under several graphical settings.

I ended up on "very good" because it got me around 40-50. On max settings, I could get 50-60 im certain adventure scenes and undergroud, but I suffered in POTs (unsurprisingly) and on the overworld map (quite surprised).

I consider 40-50 and 60 while in better optimized scenes to be very playable. It just kind of is what it is - like the monster lag from the 56k days. We all look back on that and laugh and laugh.... and laugb...

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome back @bluezone5. I have a similar set up and when I first bought my computer except I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB DirectX 12, Windows 10, 32gb ram. I don't have linux or AMD. When I first got the computer I did not have the drivers updated and it was my bad. Also make sure your pc is using your graphics card and not the built in one? Is your computer a pc or laptop btw? I rarely have problems with the game. It runs very smoothly for me. I just checked under the /debug in game and in a very decorated player owned town I was getting 60 is fps and that us usual for me. I rarely have hitching just a quick spike every once in a while but for me this is so small that it does not even bother me. ;). I hope it gets better for you and if I can ever help I am Majoria in the game. :)

12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I would recommend as the others also said, play the game on a lower resolution as running a 17.x inch monitor with 4K resolution has absolutely no extra additions. Try 1 lower step reso, or just use fullhd resolution.
    I am also missing which OS you are running in your post.

13. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

Thanks for all the replies. I'm using windows 10. My setup is a laptop (but I run it through a 1080p 24in 1920x1200 monitor). I'm also using a wired internet connection backed by 1gb speeds. Also if anyone wants to group up sometime, add me on steam "Big Chocolate" or shoot me a message. Thank you for all the help, luckily the game is immersive and enjoyable, so I'll continue to play with the low performance. Thanks for all the comments, and hopefully their is more done in the future to address the performance issues.

Caska and Jason_M like this.
  14. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

That's good to hear :)

I gots to know, though.... does SotA really run that much worse at 4k? That's got to be soooo nice, though.... :cool:

15. Caska

Caska Avatar

Yes. Whenever they patch, it sets the video to 4k and if I am not careful I won't be able to move if I logged out somewhere dense. If I don't change the video settings at the login screen, I find myself stomping on my @Chris voodoo doll. (I know you roll your eyes because people think you "do everything" well, you're in charge of the tech department so if you don't use your powers to make the team at least preserve the graphics settings you logged out with even if they changed something you deserve impalement the Atos doll gets!
    It's so nice in 4k and I die a little inside when I have to switch it back to ghetto resolution. It doesn't make me want to cry in the shower but it does hurt.

Jason_M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.