Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why do we even have mezzes?

Discussion in 'Release 50 Feedback Forum' started by Poison Ivy, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

The other thread about mobs crowd-controlling players without us reciprocally being able to crowd control them made me bring this up, but I didn't want to threadjack @sgl2586's thread.

I never played UO back in the day. I played original EQ, and I played an enchanter. Generally an enchanter's damage was a joke, but their true use was controlling the behavior of enemy mobs, such as mesmerizing some and reducing the aggro radius of others to allow for controlled mob pulls instead of giant messy piles of monsters. With lots of training and alternate advancement points, you could even do things like remove a single player *completely* from a mob's aggro list, so when inevitably they pissed it off again in a few seconds they'd be at the bottom of the aggro list to start - clerics everywhere rejoiced.

I notice that SotA has some crowd control features such as roots and mezzes. In fact, there are three mezzes, one animal specific. Does anyone actually use these, or do they just level them for attunement's sake? Given the choice between mezzing a ton of incoming mobs and simply AEing them rapidly to death, everyone - myself included - pulls out the heavy AEs. This makes mezzing pointless. I suppose you could mez an encounter and delicately kill them one at a time... but what a humongous waste of time and resources, especially when you need to grind 248375166 wolves to begin with. With this functionality (or lack of functionality) built into the game, why do we even have these spells? I use mez to harvest when I don't feel like getting interrupted farming beetles. Is that basically its only use? I have yet to meet anyone who uses these spells seriously. I guess these spells are only useful in PVP, but since I don't PVP, they are useless to me.

Spoon and sgl2586 like this.
  2. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

That's what I use them for.

Ajivani likes this.
  3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

not enough mobs in this game t0 make mezzes useful.... not like EQ days where they chained based on range. And if trying to sue them in the Rise has proven anything is, that you're right AoE damage is more useful.

4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I use them to run past control points; I have no interest in stopping to fight them.

There's a greater issue here though, having to level through a spell you know you'll never use is a bit pointless, and a poor excuse to make up for using "any" spell on a tier (or circle, or spell level) to gain magic skill. Any spell of a multitude of spells on a tier should be enough to level up the whole tree.

In traditional Ultima, when you opened up a new circle of spells, you'd get access to a bunch of spells at once, and only take on the spells in your spellbook that you'd actually use.

Ajivani likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.