Why not... (subscription in lieu of a cash shop for lot taxes and other things)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeaw1101, May 2, 2016.

?

Should SoTA drop this strange lot tax mechanic/idea and just go with a classic subscription model?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2016.
  1. Yes, I think paying taxes on virtual property with real money in-game is going to cause problems.

16.7%
  2. No, I don't mind grinding a few extra hours to pay alot tax to a video game. Or spending my real $$.

25.6%
  3. How about a multi-tiered-subscription model? More $$ = more base features lol. Innovative.

5.1%
  4. SILENCE! Lord British knows what he is doing. HOW dare you question his grand vision, worm!

25.6%
  5. I like turtles.

26.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

With all this talk about lot taxes, and paying them with real money at the "add-on store" (pay-to-play anyone?) for those who don't like extra grinding, why not just 86 the whole "single player" idea and go with what seems to be gradual and inevitable anyways: admit SoTA is a full-fledged-freaking-MMO already, and charge a sub. Yes I said MMO, it's what the gaming press has been calling it all along and there's been nothing about the game's development to disprove this. Bros, face it- single player mode is going to be really disappointing unless they pretty much unveil a whole new/dramatically re-customized game engine at the last minute (yeah right), because otherwise, NewsFlash: SP mode going to play almost identically to multiplayer online i.e. MMO mode, lol.

P.S. I think in-game cash-stores are obnoxious too, so I might be a bit biased - sorry.

But seriously, why not?

Why not ditch the 'pay-to-play' lot tax pretense of needing extra cash flow (which I seriously believe is going to piss off a lot of players after they buy the game - it's not advertised anywhere) and just go with a subscription model for Jonah's sake? If the game is good enough people will pay it. If not, they wont. The player-base has and always does speak with their wallets. It's that simple. And cmon, MMO is what this game is struggling to be in its own unique fashion anyways.

So without any further ado....

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

reserved

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

I would rather grind then pay RL money.

4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

So far the grapevine saying you can do both, but for some players I'm thinking either choice is going to be a deal-breaker.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

So do I. I had owned house when I played LOTRO, and that didn't cost any real money.
    Players' been already charged with lot/deed purchases, paying taxes for in-game house with real money? That's just absurd.

Leelu and Beno Ledoux like this.
  6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

How about we stick with what we have, property taxes in game, which are basically minimal and they introduce a voluntary subscription model similar to SC for those that want to support the project, getting a bit of flair goods and store credit added per subscription. For those that don't subscribe then and store purchases they want to make, they make..for the subscribers it just means that they have some credit built up each month. It allows Port some budgetable income per month and everyone is happy....Maybe not as this is the world we live in but the majority i feel would be...

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Indifferent.
    Very much depends on how the system would look.
    So I will go with the second Option for the moment.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Honestly, I don't see how people could not see it coming as a possible option. One of the reasons for pledging a tier with rent free deeds is beneficial and makes this a non issue for most pledgers. Being a Buy to play game and basing on previous buy to play games I always assumed there would be an option somewhere once released to pay for rent with RL money, and I always assumed the reason mat yields and slow gathering are the way they are would be to sell potions or some one time use item in the add-on store to speed it up and make it less painful. I could possibly be wrong, but that's just how it is with most F2P games and B2P games. You either grind it in game or buy stuff from the add-on store to make it go faster, for the advantage over others, or for better shinies. Either way there's the option to do it in game or with RL money, so there's a choice. :) I could use GW2 as an example because their add-on store is similar so far, except we haven't seen the boosts yet in the add-on store with Sota, could be possible we never do, I dunno. I suspect we will though seeing the crown of the obsidians show up in the patch notes, makes sense there will be some in the add-on store as well. We don't have all those plans laid out to us yet. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Maximus., Cally, 4EverLost and 5 others like this.
  9. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I lived in South Carolina for many years and never heard of a 'voluntary subscription'. What the heck are you talking about? Is this something new since 2013?

Xandra7 and Leelu like this.
  10. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

I would be out and gone, asking to get the $ back I put into this.

New games coming out every 4 weeks that want my money, 10 hours Job per day, I dont have time to discuss stuff that was done and settled. Just tell me if you want a monthly payment to log into this unfinished product and send me back my money. No hard feelings, just plain facts.

And..."voluntary subscription"? Are you mad to invent a word like that? Leme guess, you dont work for your money - so that you throw it away voluntarily ;)

What world is this, when players actually start thinking for developers how they can make $??

Changing the word from "customer" to "backer" doesnt change the fact that we can expect to get what we paid/backed for.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Max Bendis, warxnox, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

The world doesn't revolve around North America or South Carolina in particular, i refer to the game Star Citizen....;)

Leelu likes this.
  12. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Oh well (im), i thought u had come and gone a few times, its strange many that leave still hang about...something must call to them I'm sure..

Its called voluntary and I'm sure you know its meaning..If u don't like don't do...simples...Don't whinge if others want to/have more income than you. Many do voluntary community work and the like not expecting a return..They do it because they want to, many reasons why.

This is a new type of funding, the developers and backers are tied in this together to a degree, for those that have contributed its also in their interests the game is a success. Also if you like something you support it.

And don't just --->
    leg it when something new and shiny comes along...

No one said you will need a subscription to log in, twisting words to suit ends shows your reasoning in your postings...

Maximus., Kara Brae and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hehe, living in Norway, I understand this well. But you got my not-so-subtle hint--Star Citizen, thanks :rolleyes:

Leelu and Bow Vale like this.
  14. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Ahh...humour...well you will be fully aware nothing revolves around Norway :) Apart from maybe the North sea :) Lovely part of the world though

Leelu likes this.
  15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Stop hijacking my poll thread please ^^

Leelu likes this.
  16. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

thats when it hits the fan. Your strange!

Dont compare voluntary help with a company that is making $ while developing a pc game. It makes the whole "helping" dirty in my oppinion. And your really going "uhhh...poor portalarium we need to make sure $ gets in? No...thats up to the devs to do it, and if your going to tell me they need help in making $ and that you can even compare it spending your time whith helping the sick/poor or community work then...uhh...I simply say "uhh uhh nooo".

And mentioning StarCitizen was wrong. That project is changing pc gaming...and makes an own engine, and the subsciptions there goes into creating a whole show and community fiction that this site/game can only...arf..well. Why do I write this anyway? You dont wanna hear it I guess.

warxnox likes this.
  17. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I think the current model is fair, and fair to the widest possible customer base as well. With games the player base will always range from people that will never pay a cent (perhaps gifted an account?) right through to people that are happy to pour tens of thousands of dollars into a game. This model caters for that, with a broad range inbetween.

For the minimum pledge of $45 (or cheaper if purchased in the past or during the steam half price offer) you can play the game indefinately, and still have most of the experiences that people that pay more have to offer. IMO, the subscription type of model is inferior in both providing choices to the consumer, and inferior in providing the best possible income to the game developers. I like the current model, and I support the vision that the devs have planned.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They are more likely to get money out of me if I can get a monthly sub. I won't do nickle and dime payments.

19. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Focus on creating an enjoyable and rewarding game. The money will come. Our game should remain Buy to Play. Subscription only for cosmetics and only if more rewarding than just buying from add on store.

Perhaps $15 sub per month includes 15 in add on store credits and a free cosmetic item exclusive to subscribers.

Katrina Bekers and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

But it's sooooo shiiiiiinnnyyy!

Maka and mikeaw1101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.