Why so uncomfortable, clunky, complicated and "outdated"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I was wondering: What about handicapped people who maybe can use just one hand? Will they be excluded from the game?

Some elements need to be there but I think they can be implemented in a more natural way.
    The backpack mode of SotA is a good way. But it could be a 3D backpack the hero opens.
    Crafting could be done by simply using the materials on the workbenches without having a separate UI for this. Just moving the iron orer into the forge and we get an iron bar. Using the iron bar on the anvil we get a sword etc. The same for customizable gear.
    In a first person view it would be possible to pull a 3D map out of the 3D backpack. The same for the compass.
    Yes I am against a hotbar and the deck. I am for a natural action-real-time-combat where we swing our sword ourself.
    I think that we don't need a skill tree or attributes that are visible. If I use a sword often then I hit better and swing faster and do more damage. If I jump often then at one time I can jump across the chasm that was too wide before...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Sir_Hemlock and Ravicus Sales like this.
  2. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

I agree with you Lord Darkmoon on much of what you say. For Episode 1 they probably just want to get it out. Possibly later episodes might have what you are asking for. I would not hold my breath for to long though. In my own opinion I think in a different way this game is made for the handicapped however, and that will bring more of the casual people that do not want to put time or effort into a game.

3. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

What about people with no hands? or blind people? the list goes on for those unfortunate souls who can't enjoy shroud. Unfortunately not much that can be done about that.
    same goes for playing with one hand... only you CAN play but not as well as with two... makes sense IMO

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sounds like a failed joke to me :p wahaha

5. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Im sorry this is an action rpg, not a Monkey Island point and click adventure.
    its not U1-8/UO and its not isometric with a rudimentary combat system.

Like you said Its there if you want it, and has possiblity to improve its "look". Personaly in those situations, I prefer efficiency over realisim.
    Scrambling through 100s of items in a backpack trying to find the 3 you want for a reciepe seems utterly tedious compaired to just having a list.
    The horror stories of UO inventory are not good for a reason.

So what you are asking for is a weapon (class) based system. Where what weapon you weild determines what you can do. Want to cast magic? you need a fire wand to cast fire magic or a ice wand to cast ice. Healing? youd need a special staff. you see where this is going if you dont have skills or a hotbar to customize.
    The other method would be a combo system, black desert uses this, and any character will only ever have about 5 abilities, becuase there are only so many combos you can do (reach) with your hands on a keyboard, and there in itself takes away the "one handed" play you so desire.

I honestly think you are looking and aiming for a game that isnt what SotA is or is going to be.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Bound mouse button for moving forward and for jump, get used to that from the early days of quake. Using a Razer Naga mouse specifically, I never have to use the keyboard at all except to bring up menus which I could then also click in the top right corner to bring them up. I play successfully with a mouse as well with a steam controller - and experience zero issues in this game...

7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

There's a lot of great feedback in here on ease of use, such as reduction of text and commands that may be unnecessary. For the moment we are focusing on stability and bug fixes for the end stretch to getting Release 32 out the door. All of these other elements will continue to be refined and worked on for the New Player Experience as we push on toward Launch, and continued to be refined for Chapter 2 and beyond.

Mitch [MGT], Albus and Cairo like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I want a great single player mode/game that is on par with other great, modern SP RPGs and that feels and plays like a true SP RPG.

9. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

In the begining, at the kickstart, this game is/was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Ultima 4-7. Why would we not believe that the single player offline experience would not be akin to U4-7?
    From the kickstarter:

Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”.

• Shroud of the Avatar is infused with rich storylines, deeply integrated into game play, developed by Best Selling Author Tracy Hickman and RPG legend Richard Garriott.
    • Players will adventure in an interactive world where their choices have consequences, ethical paradoxes give them pause, and they play a vital part in weaving their own story into the immersive world and lore surrounding them.
    • Shroud of the Avatar is a Selective Multiplayer game, allowing players to choose how they want to play! Whether in Single-Player Offline mode or any of three online modes, the main quest line will provide greater than 40 hours of focused, story driven content.
    • Shroud of the Avatar can be played as an offline DRM free solo experience or online, where our servers will enable player to player transactions, group finding, patching, streaming of dynamic content, and exploit prevention.
    • Built using the Unity Game Engine, Shroud of the Avatar will support Win/Mac/Linux for official launch.
    • Players can specialize in a wide range of combat and non-combat skills, provided by a robust, classless skill system, and full-featured crafting and housing mechanics. Play the way you want to play, molding your character into the hero, anti-hero, or artisan you want to be!
    • Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series of full-length, stand-alone games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Estimated availability of Episode 1, Forsaken Virtues, is October 2014, with Episodes 2 through 5 estimated for subsequent yearly releases.
    • Shroud of the Avatar is a “buy-to-play” game that, once purchased, does not require a subscription to play!

docdoom77 likes this.
  10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

hmmm....sighs....Any good ideas/validity you do have will get lost in all the negativity your postings for many moons now possess. I for one look at your posts now, knowing what they entail, and I'm getting to the point that i don't even read them. Shame as you used to make some good ones.

Beaumaris likes this.
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Sir, have you played the game in the recent release? With free attack, you CAN swing your weapon as you choose. :)

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

I just want to play a great game.

Yeah but the argument wasn't about how the OP expects a single-player experience... what was thrown into the pile was "some handicaps won't be able to play the game".

@Lord_Darkmoon , buddy, if the game had "immersive" controls and UI like Sea of Thieves, even the handicap people who only have one hand to play wouldn't be able to play the game. It's WASD + Mouse-look like a first-person shooter and a HECK TON of people in this community was in an uproar when the Portalarium tried to steer the game anywhere near that.

How about letting the devs make a good game, a game that they want to make and let the people with a disability make their own arguments about what to change so that they can play the game instead of worrying about every possible issue that can happen? No. Don't throw "disability" as an argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.