Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Will Property Tax values be adjusted

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by PeteWi The Disoriented, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

The rates for property tax were set before permanence, not based on current values. For example, a City Lot tax of 3500 gold per day seems excessive. 3500 a week is more reasonable and attainable. Will rates be adjusted down based on current gold earnings? It's disappointing to have purchased a deed that can't be placed because rent can't be paid. And purchased with cash, not in game gold.

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I hope so.. so that I could use my Town Lot Deed on an actual Town Lot... I'm currently using it on a Village... if they lower the rent I will move to a Town Lot and will be able to expand my Treasure Chest Hunt (see signature below)

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

City lots (actually start from town lot) were designed to be for guild to pool up their resources. If a guild has 7 members, they could have pool the daily tax for city lot by just doing the oracle quests.

There are couple other options you could consider as well.
    1) Use the lot deed on the smaller lot that you can afford.
    2) Find a friend who has a royal scepter and be willing to use it on your lot to reduce the amount of tax to be paid by 50%.
    3) Until COTO costs more than 3.5K GP, always use COTO to pay for taxes since you will get some discount depending on how much you pay for the COTO.
    4) Buy COTO from add-on stores to pay for taxes, it's still much cheaper than getting a tax free version if it's even available.
    5) Trade for a tax-free lot if available, so you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    6) Sell the deed and move on.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  4. PeteWi The Disoriented

While those might be workarounds, they don't actually address the problem, which is the tax rate is not inline with the economy.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I hunt solo about an hour everyday on a level 5 skull zone by myself. Most of my skills are locked at 60, which took me to approach that within a month and a half. After taken off repair and resupplying cost, I still make about 10k a week. So the row lot is very doable. Village lot is abit pushing it. If I have 2-3 people help me pooling the gold and resources at about the same rate, we should be able to afford a town or even push to city lot size if we were to commit to it.

What would be your expected numbers that would consider to be aligned with the economy?

Nadomir and Tahru like this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Well, if things stayed the way they are now on "release" (dear gods NO!), I can make about 20k a day if I wanted to hunting solo, and that's keeping back some materials I harvested to use personally. If I sold those as well, it would be about 25-30k or more, even with resupplying while hunting in 4-5 skull zones. I think the real kicker will come into play, and the real hard look and possible adjustment will be needed, when they make the vendors less of a money faucet, and I have to take the things I would vendor trash and salvage them to make other things with or sell to other players as raw materials.

For instance, I come back and find a grocer, or whatever vendor I come across first (usually Harry at Kingsport!!!) , and for whatever reason, they are REALLY interested in rusty weapons of all sorts, have a deep and abiding love of all gems and gem fragments, and just have to have my hundreds of pounds of animal parts and chunks of ore-laden rock, not to mention purchasing enough corpse wax to start their own people-tallow candle cottage industry. So much so that I have to open 2 sell windows to unload it all. If I sold all of it, my tungsten and nickel and hides and such, along with all of the junk npc weapons, I pull in about 4-5k gold for an hour or two strolling through the mines.

With this example, I could probably pay the tax on a duke lot per day if those were actually taxed.

Once Harry (who buys all of this while only selling Torches... those must be some really fine torches...) decides he can no longer afford all of these luxuries, I will either have to find players who want all of it, use it to craft myself, or turn it into salvage and roll it into one of the previous two options.

Considering we are only a release (and a little extra on the side) away from "release", it ought to be interesting to see how the whole thing is refactored... and how it will affect taxes and the player market.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

I"m holding off purchasing a village lot POT deed until rental costs come down to a more realistic level. When the devs decide that Oracle gold & town crier gold are no longer necessary - that would be a sign for me that the costs have leveled off to an amount that most people can afford. Since rental rates will be affected by how much tax the land owner is paying,

Until then, basements are the way to go.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. PeteWi The Disoriented

I would say 10k a week is a pretty reasonable amount of gold to collect. I am in every way an average player and probably come in under that.
    The tax for a City lot is 3500 gold per day. So the rent on that lot is over 24k per week, 2.5x the current earning potential.
    Using COTOs, that is 1 per day, 30 per month, 365 a year. That translates to $300 real dollars. Pay $300 a year in rent? What is this, real life? :)
    Yes, the City lot lends itself as a guild hall, but based on the previous economy and earning potential, it was possible to pay the rent as an individual. Buying one for a PoT doesn't seem that unreasonable.
    Yes, you can get others to help defer the cost, but that places a dependency on other people that I don't agree with.

Post persistent world, there has been a drop in resource nodes, spawn rates, loot drop quality, etc. The tax rates were set pre-persistence.
    Yes, it needed balancing, but there are now properties, purchased with real cash, that can't be placed.

While it may be an enticement to explore the world and check your virtue, the gold received from Criers and the Oracle proves the economy is depressed.

It's not just owning a city lot. I know town owners have bought multiple properties, village size, to make services available. Creating common areas with those properties will be exceedingly difficult if not impossible.

Also, I would love to know how people are making 25k a day and how long it takes. I'm not the sharpest axe in the outhouse, so clearly I've missed out on medieval business tactics 101.

9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I am playing an archer at adventurer level 50, and can, with some small difficulty, manage the Graff Gem Mines, which yields a massive amount of copper, tin, tungsten, some gold, a lot of kobold hammers, shoddy bows and 2 handed hammers, and lot of corpse wax. It probably yields a lot more, but I don't have what I need level-wise to handily defeat the kobold overseer, so that I can progress much further into the second level. I had the good fortune to have an overseer spawn near the entrance to the mine scene, and was able to fight him without the interference of almost a half-dozen other kobolds, so I have the additional benefit of spending some time in the Spindrift Passage, which opens up a lot of raw material profit from several different types of gems. If you can manage to get the key AND get to the passage, the only thing I have problems with there are the slimes. Otherwise, gem clusters abound, with some ore veins sprinkled about, and if luck is with you, a couple passes through the main entrance and a couple of the side caves will yield about 1k gold worth of gems and another 250-500 gold in fragments.

A solid hour brings in about 2500 gold in things I am selling (npc weapons, corpse wax, gems). If I added in the things I am keeping for personal use (ore, tin, tungsten, etc), I get around 4k for everything, and use up around 800-1000 arrows (~85-90 gold). As far as repairs go, I think I have used 4 total repair kits in the course of expending 20k arrows.

This is hunting solo with a build that is not meant to storm through a half dozen npcs every encounter with a weapon that hits multiple enemies per swing, so I would need about 5 hours of gameplay (and some RNG love) to get 20k+ gold in a day.

Others' mileage probably varies significantly (in the positive direction).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Numa and uhop like this.
  10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

go to Verdantis Shardfall... lot's of wood to chop down ;)

Numa likes this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have the funny feeling that there are a lot of hungry creatures there that are sick of gnawing on trees and would love a warm, fresh avatar meal instead :(

moko and Kabalyero like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Plus with renting coming in, we may all say hmm I think I need a roomate ;).

Spoon, Luca Xante and Tahru like this.
  13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

yup... I was killed twice there (in one day by the same Avatar)... LOL... but the return was worth it...

Numa likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

A row should more than suffice any player no matter the play style. A village is luxury of space with 2 times a row. A town is 4 times a row in size and frankly an obscene amount of space. A city is 2-3 towns. No need to mention keeps or castles as they are not available anyway. A row is 500g/day and any player should not even break a sweat making that amount if they try and are responsible with their gold purchases in game, i.e. paying rent before luxury.

The only problem I see is that it probably should have better communicated the extent to which a taxable lot is a burden. I might go as far to say that the deeds probably should have been only sold in game to put some gravity to the decision to buy.

The developers did say that town and city lots were intended for guilds.

Numa likes this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Agree with @Tahru re:better communication for the impact of lot tax. When you factor in the expenses for equipment upgrades and repair plus skill tree advancement - the costs do pile up. Oracle & tax crier gold help a lot but these are meant to be crutches until a new player finds his footing.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

a village is four rows. everything else is double.

Tahru likes this.
  17. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

if i want, i can make 100k+/day (even 200k if i really want it).

As an lowby you shouldn't be able to pay the rent for an city lot anyway...

18. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

My story is: I don't own property yet because I feel I can't afford the taxes or in better words: I am not willing to play for taxes even I am making 20k-30k per day just by levelling my adventurer skills. So my decision is not to have a house in this game (yet).
    If your decision is to own a cadillac, you must accept the price OR you must look for a smaller car which maintenance is affordable. Just crying for lower taxes can't be the right way.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  19. PeteWi The Disoriented

Again, Property Tax was established before persistence.
    Since then, multiple avenues for gaining gold have been reduced or removed - nodes, spawn rate, item quality, etc. I believe most people feel the pain of less income than before.
    Currently, you go into level 5 areas, get hit like a hammer and walk away with items that all start with broken, shoddy or rusty.
    I mention the City Lot as an example. The same is true for a town owner who purchases Village lots as community resources for public crafting pavilion, public garden, tavern, etc.

The economy still needs tuning, my point is that property tax should be taken into account.
    Plus, having more currency available allows lots to turn over and people to progress. If there is no progression, it will just lead to stagnation.

20. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I'll say that property is for vanity's sake only. I recently placed a Row lot and put a Viking 4-story house on it. It has a ton of space. You can spend weeks grinding enough to decorate it. Yeah, I'd like a Town or a City lot, but only if it was tax-free. I don't think I'd even have a Village lot if it was taxable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.