Will we be able to recolor Items like in UO

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Roxnee, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxnee

Roxnee Avatar

I miss the ability to recolor items to personalize them . I remember how fun it was to recolor decor, Armor and Clothing . Will we be able to recolor or customize our items ?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There will be dyes and probably paints so we can assume a certain level of customization.

3. Saraken

Saraken Avatar

It would be nice to see a different levels of recolouring. Kind of like how Guild Wars 2 does it for armour.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Never seen GW2.. do you mean being able to dye/color an item with multiple colors.. like a primary and 2ndary? It wouldn't be hard to code.. just a little extra time creating textures that can take multiple colors.

5. Saraken

Saraken Avatar

@Bowen, yes, pretty much that. See this link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c3/2012_April_hero_panel_%28dye%29.jpg

The boxes next to items represent how many parts of the item can be dyed. So anywhere from 1 to 3-4 parts of a piece of armour can be dyed a different colour.

Thus, the more complex looking armour pieces could sport more colours than simpler types. It was just one feature of Guild Wars 2 that I really quite liked. :)

6. Roxnee

Roxnee Avatar

I will be looking forward to see how it will be in SOTA

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There will surely be the ability to dye things. (one of the pledge rewards is a purple dye that will be unavailable to others).'

So at minimum we can expect clothing dye.

warhammer online had an armor dying system, and personally, i think it made everyone look rather silly. i stuck with grays/blacks/silvers. (although briefly did a red/gold style)

realistically, from the research i've done, painting armor was not done in europe at all. in japan they lacquered their armor. in europe people would wear surcoats over their armor so painting was unnecessary.

If you read any of the forums where they discuss real weapons and armor, how they are made, how they look, the purposes they were used for, they are pretty critical of how games portray them and mix periods. I don't have a problem with mixed periods, i do with improper use and impractical design. (Who the heck is strong enough to dodge around and leap and roll around in plate armor with any speed?)

Marvin likes this.
  8. Goose

Goose Avatar

Ah green full plate....memories. Never wore the stuff out of town but I sure sold a lot of it.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I mentioned paints but I'm not fond of the idea of painting armor.. but as the subject of the thread is "Items" that's a different story. It's possible and hopefully likely that wooden items could be painted. RG is hoping for a painting skill and I'm also hoping this will extend to houses.

As for dyes.. yeah 4 colors would be the technical limit. This is done by using the RGBA channels of the base texture. (Red-Green-Blue-Alpha). The base texture itself uses greys to simulate a neutral "texture" for the object being dyed.. and you use the channels to define what areas can take color. (In a perverbial nut shell). Of course this naturally applies to using paints, stains or whatever since it's really the same thing as far as the code is concerned.

It's just that much work to do the textures so they're colorable.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'd like realistic limits on colors; a good means to do this might be hand creation of dyes. You'd have to find reagents to create dyes from.

I'd also like a lot of other ways to decorate clothing and armor though; embroidery, embossing, engraving, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.