Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Windmill Power Generators always have blades facing north

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Lace, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

No matter which way I rotate the base of the windmill generator the blades face north. I have to assume this behavior is intentional, but I wanted some variety in placing them for the putt putt golf course ,, but they all face north...

bummer.

Jivalax Azon, Beaumaris and Leelu like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Exceptions to the rule of the North Winds?...
    It's all wind generators North, yet a windmill home faces any direction depending on the placement position of the lot?... o_O I really don't know I have to go look at mine :confused:

Nope, my windmill home's blades also face north all on their own.
    That North Wind is truly unrelenting isn't it :p

Put Put... "what a cool idea" :D
    Thumbs Up Lace! :)
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

They're supposed to follow the winds. I put in a bug report about windmills a few releases ago noting that the blades always point north.. but it is working as intended... Hopefully we get a warm Southern wind sometime soon.

Jivalax Azon, Beaumaris, Lace and 2 others like this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: Indeed it would look odd if all bladed things had their own madcap direction...
    I don't think our environmental seasons are finished, but still in a building stage of development, or that is what I'm hoping o_O Maybe that detailed of our seasons will have some more passes in our near or distant futures.
    Will all balloons forever blow South? :p

I believe that perma-frozen lake in Wizards Rest could use a seasonal thaw for some local fishing or for more proper placing a boathouse... A warm summer wind would do that area's lake some good :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jivalax Azon, Beaumaris, Lace and 2 others like this.
  5. Lace

Lace Avatar

Jivalax Azon and Beaumaris like this.
  6. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

They face the way the wind blows.

Which is always North, unless during a big storm and the wind gets eratic.
    Watch during storms, my windmill house goes crazy and spins all over the place.
    N,S,E,N,W,S just all over. We call them Monsoons in Port P. :p

Jivalax Azon, Beaumaris and Time Lord like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: Wow, what a great observation!
    I never thought to look... o_O
    Now I can't wait for the next storm to come by :) Thanks Leostorm!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Direction of wind seems logical, but I would prefer that the blades face in a user-specified direction instead. The reason is simple aesthetics.

As is, placing the item adjacent to a building's south side, for example, has the blades point into the building. This gives the appearance that the player positioned the item bass ackwards.

There are times when appearance over substance is better, and this might be one of those cases. But if they did change dynamically in wind storms, I would change my mind.

Lace and Time Lord like this.
  9. Lace

Lace Avatar

IF during a storm erratic behavior is planned then I go back to my original post that the blades should not always face north. And in actualaiity in a monsoon, the baldes should not change direction. It is either set up to catch the wind one way or it is not. While I get the idea of rotating your blades to be effective based on weather conditions as we would create some mechanism IRL to do this, we haven't really implemented out how, not sure shroud should be doing this, and think placement of base should affect blade spin, or give me a plausible reason why not. All pointing north till monsoon does not seem logical. And if they move on monsoon why would they not break when deviating from the composition of their gears and mechanisms.

Yall know I love Benatar and Halestorm . all this engineering makes me think of the Lindsey Sterling song featuring Lzzy Hale from Halestorm and the poor clockwork attendant just trying to make things work LOL.

Me and Halestorm .. I dig em! (yeah they are all super tall or I am super short... I plead the former)

[​IMG]
    (fyi they had this running bet I heard about for boob signage where lzzy was winning on requests to have boobs signed, so that shirt is now framed cause they all signed it as you may see in pic .. no favorites. IRL I still try to be fair.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

they change now. just only during one type of storm.
    there are actualy a few level of storms currently, just takes a little noticing.

When the trees are blowing like mad is when a high level storm is happening.

I just call em monsoons.
    I suppose id be more like a thunderstorm with micro bursts lol.

Im not sure if all areas even have this storm level, cuz I can only really confirm it in port phoenix.
    But im pretty sure I saw this happening in owls head.

Its just very rare, and im sure its all placeholder stuff just to see if the system worked. more detail in it will come.

there are swivel based mechanisms for wind fans, they use ball-bearings and a few lil nifty tricks.

But there should be an option to "lock" the direction. it would be nice. Could add it to the lot interface as

Lock Wind Fans:
    N[]
    S[]
    E[]
    W[]
    and able to just check one.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Very Cool Pic Lace!" :) !
    ~Time Lord~;)

Lace likes this.
  12. Lace

Lace Avatar

Okay so the behavior is they are stagnant till wind effect and they have the invisible property of rotation on monsoon. Still say if placed we should be able to 'lock' blade facing rotation or have it based on the base of the object we just placed just like @Leostorm said which was my original issue with them :) Not lot wide, it would be base independent to be actual, the wind direction varies therefore the wind capture of the item should be variable.

I don't want dev time spent on this, I would just like the rotation to be based on the base of the object not the guestimate of wind direction, and it truly doesn't matter that much other than in setting up a putt putt golf course. LOL.

13. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

By installing a weather vane you would always know what direction the wind is coming from. I also think that the wind generator should rotate 360 degrees based upon the direction of the wind and the rotating blades also be variable based on the velocity of the air direction.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

If I've read previous reports about this correctly, the reasoning is because in our current weather system, the wind -always- comes from the north. As the Devs iterate the weather system, we'll see the facings change as the wind changes.

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Just a noticeable FYI...
    I was thinking of this post and I noticed that in Kingsport that the clouds are blowing from the north, the flags are blowing from east to west, while the wind blades of a generator are taking wind from the north :p
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Beaumaris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.