Windows 11 and SotA

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Winfield, Oct 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I just purchased a new PC desktop - It comes preloaded with Windows 10 with the option to UPGRADE for free to Windows 11. I am firing up the computer for the first time today (16 October 2021).

OMEN 30L GT13-0092 Desktop PC (2020)
    Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10 cores (10th gen)
    HyperX XMP 32 GB PC4-25600 MB/s DDR4-3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (10 GB)
    1X HDMI 2.1 4096 x 2160 x 24 bpp at 60 Hz
    3X DP 1.3/1.4 ready/7680 x 4320 at 60 Hz YUV 420 8-bit​

Windows 11 was released on 5 October 2021. Windows 11 is not available to everyone yet; Microsoft is rolling Windows 11 out first to new PCs with newer hardware, then in 2022 to older PCs (but not too old). Windows 10 End-Of-Life is planned for 2025.
    I'm going to plunge into Windows 11 on this new PC and see what happens.
    • I plan to use this PC pretty exclusively for playing SotA, UO, iRacing, FlightSim, and Donkey Kong (Apple ][+ version of course -- just kidding) and perhaps Ultima I to IX !!
    • I'm also going to use it for programming, video processing, Twitch, etc ... all those apps that need some GPU and CPU power.
    • I don't plan to use it for MS Office, Social, web-browsing, older/less computer-intensive games, etc. I have my old Windows 10 laptops for that, especially to watch "Emergency!" from the 1970s. (still looking for The Partridge Family and Hill Street Blues). Yup, I'm old. Ha!
    Right now, before I install Windows 10 and then upgrade to Windows 11, I did a little research. Gaming can take a 25% performance hit due to Virtualization-based Security (VBS). However, VBS won't be on by default in the UPGRADE as long as the Windows 10 System Information shows: "Virtualization-based Security = Not Enabled". New OEM computers with Pre-loaded Windows 11 in the future will likely have this on by default.
    Whether VBS impacts SotA much, I don't know and I may not turn VBS on to test it. We'll see.

Anyway, please comment back about your ideas and experiences for Windows 11 and SotA. I'll chronicle my journey here as best I can!

Off we go! Oh ... Keep fishing!

UPDATE (30 Oct 2021): I thought I could not upgrade to Windows 11. But I can!! A BIOS update apparently enabled me to get Windows 11 upgrade notification. I will try that soon!

- Winfield

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I, on the other hand, am wondering whether Win11 goes too far, and I don't like Microsoft's trajectory enough, to permanently switch to Linux. They seem to have a very dystopian future.

FBohler, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  3. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I have a Legion 7 16 with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H CPU, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3070 graphics card with Windows 11 (upgraded from Windows 10).
    Usually playing in windowed mode something like 2543 x 1216 (prefer the menus etc. in a roughly 2:1 resolution) and get 60 FPS in quiet mode with refresh rate at 60 Hz (= power saving, almost no fans).
    In power mode I get between 130 and 160 FPS, seems to be pretty independent of graphics settings... But fans are too loud for me and I am fine with 60 FPS, so using the quiet mode.
    No problems yet with Windows 11.
    Heard about the performance issues, especially with AMD CPUs, but I do not see any issues for SotA.

4. Winfield

Thanks for your reply @StarLord - that helps me/us know what to expect.

Unfortunately, my new computer did not upgrade to Windows 11 (yet), but I will do that when my Windows Update offers that in the future. I posted the following on the OP above.

UPDATE: After my new computer installed all the Windows 10 updates, drivers, etc. from MS and HP, the Windows Update screen did not offer an Upgrade to Windows 11. I went through all the procedures in this document from HP.

So, while I will have to wait to experience Windows 11 and SotA, I suggest those who do have both, offer their experiences here. Thanks!
    UPDATE (30 Oct 2021) - A BIOS update apparently enabled me to get the Windows 11 upgrade. I think all the BIOS and hardware need to be in place as Win 11 is kind designed for advanced hardware.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  5. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

My Lenovo Legion laptop also did not offer that option, but I could explicitly install it (upgrade from Windows 10, no new install) via https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e
    I only use the laptop for light gaming, so nothing to loose (could have reinstalled Windows 10).
    However I will wait with my desktop for several months, do not want to risk any of my programs to break.

Time Lord and Winfield like this.
  6. Winfield

That seems very wise @StarLord . I too shall wait and not upgrade my new desktop for a bit. I plan to load a few games on it that require high-end performance so at some point I can upgrade to Windows 11 (having a full backup of data, programs, Windows 10) and move into the Windows 11 direction--perhaps in a couple of months. For now, I am getting SotA installed and other high-end games to take the new PC on a good Windows 10 and hardware road test.

Waldo Ptolomy, StarLord and Time Lord like this.
  7. Waldo Ptolomy

Waldo Ptolomy Avatar

I upgraded my Laptop to windows 11, I just briefly logged in to the game successfully. I have not tested it on anything more than the oracle, I will look further.

Waldo Ptolomy

Winfield and Time Lord like this.
  8. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Working fine for me here too

Winfield and Time Lord like this.
  9. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Just to expand on the above - I used the installation assistant Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com) to get the update before offered by windows update.

I tried first on my secondary PC and laptop and made sure everything worked for a few days before doing the desktop.

None of these had the slightest issue with games running / hardware working etc so I did the main desktop too.

*note all these machines are Intel (between 8th and 11th gen CPUs) / Geforce - I think many of the issues reported have been AMD related.

So far I like it - its mostly a cosmetic change really but I like the cleaner look and feel. Only things I've changed thus far is put the start button back where 20+ years of muscle memory tells me it ought to be :p , played with some settings like adding file explorer links at the bottom of the start menu (these all are in the standard options) and sorted out what apps are pinned.

Winfield, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  10. Winfield

I hope to upgrade to Windows 11 soon. My new computer DOES allow the upgrade, after I installed all the drivers, BIOS updates, etc.

New computer is: OMEN 30L GT13-0092 Desktop PC (2020).

I sent my new PC to HP for warranty service this last week because when I was installing software or running Shroud, the CPU was getting too HOT, or what I thought was too hot. CPU package spiked once in a while above 95 degC, and most of the SotA and OBS for streaming running together had the CPU at about 80-90 degC. HP supervisor called me and said they tested my PC and all was working as designed and that my rig is designed to be hot, can withstand heat, etc. I was relieved! Now I can go Lava Fishing!

So to still be safe, I bought an indoor portable AC unit for my room. I am in Southern Texas ya know! It gets hot down here even in the wintertime! The AC unit is loud though - oh well for now. In the future (when I move to a new house someday), I will have rooms "zoned" for AC to keep my gaming room cooler without freezing the family in the rest of the house.

Anyway, I hope to give my Windows 11 feedback soon too! Thanks for your feedback @Waldo Ptolomy and @Scanphor !

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm currently playing on an i7 Acer laptop. When I first started playing SOTA on it it get hot enought to actually make me think I was burning the tips of my fingers.

"Then I bought one of these things" No more burnt finger tips, I can't hear any of the fans and the lap top runs quite cool.

I guess I'm a part of the Win-11 resistance continuing to run Win-10, as I always feel that if it's not broken why fix it? :D~TL~
    [​IMG]

Winfield likes this.
  12. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yeah that's too hot whatever HP support said.... Especially for a desktop. That's thermal throttling territory which whilst it won't melt your CPU will significantly reduce its lifespan. The cooler is either not fitted properly or is inadequate.

If you can't get HP to admit that I'd be looking to get someone to install an AIO water cooler or as big an air cooler as will fit!

By way of comparison my self built new PC has an 11th Gen CPU which I believe are even harder to cool than yours - I'm playing SOTA between about 60-65c max and on a "torture test" I've not see it go north of high-mid 70's

FBohler, Winfield and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.