1. All post bodies concerning Shroud of the Avatar player to player transactions or services are limited to this section of the forums. Unwanted solicitation in other sections of the forums or via chat or private message is prohibited, and could result in account restriction or ban. Posting more than once per week within your own thread, "bumping" it to keep it on top, bumping within a week of the first post, and daily replacing a post with a new one is also considered spam and is therefore, prohibited. Bumping is allowed once per week, if the new post contains information that is meaningful to the original thread (i.e. price updates).

Activities that involve real money exchanges between players are not allowed. Account transfers are not supported. Items purchased in the SotA Store, such as Pledge and Bundle Rewards, Add-Ons, Stretch-Goal items, and Player Owned Towns, as well as services that can be immediately fulfilled in-game (such as renting existing in-game property or items) are the only permitted exchanges in the Player Marketplace.

Be sure to include the types of payment accepted in your post [In Game Gold, COTOs/Crowns, or in game item trade]

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. No in-game or chat based real money exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Catnip Games reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

WTB Heavy Armor Gaiaism Set + other items - 1 million gold bounty + Blog article

Discussion in 'Buy Items (WTB Gear, Decorations, Crafted Items)' started by Caveloot.com Owner, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

You can read the full details of this here:
    http://www.thecaverns.net/Wordpress...-1-million-gold-work-bid-bounty-article-blog/

I have seen a lot of cool events in Shroud of the Avatar. Many of which I helped create! It has been a long time since I have done anything though, and part of that is I just have not had much inspiration.

So, I came up with an idea for a bidding contest with a big payout budget, when I was tired of hitting vendors in the game.

Here’s the deal! I am looking for a full set of equipment for one of my characters. To enter the contest you must not only supply a list of the equipment you would recommend (with stats!), but please include notes as to why you are choosing each piece.[​IMG]

I have posted a summary piece on this in the forums over here:
    WTB Heavy Armor Gaiaism Set + other items – 1 million gold bounty + Blog article | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

I will run this contest until the end of July. Meaning all entries must be submitted by July 31st, Midnight, Eastern Time.

You can PM the entries to “Sir Stile Teckel” on The Shroud of the Avatar forums or you can also email it to me using stile@thecaverns.net with the subject “Equipment Contest”. Document attachments are fine (just about any format is ok).

After I have had enough time to review all of the entries, I will pick the winner and post announcements.

You are building this to sell, and deliver, on a budget!!! You can spend more than a million gold on your time and resources, but 1 million is the payout for the sale. You do not get the gold until the equipment is being delivered. Part of this is to show that as a crafter/resource gather/thief (however you would obtain the gear), what you can do for a customer based on their budget. Whoever can do the most based on that budget, is showing how far they will go to get the business!

[​IMG]

To sweeten the pot, and because I am just having fun doing this, the winner will also receive a full sized blog post here at The Caverns, Dungeons, and Beyond.

also receive a full sized blog post here at The Caverns, Dungeons, and Beyond

An article showcasing the final build with photos and all that good stuff!

The information you send for your entry will also be used for the article (write-ups on why you are choosing what, any photos you might include, stat information, etc). Additionally, if you’re willing there may be some interview questions.

This post will include information to where and how you can be contacted by anyone wanting to hire your services, after showing the community you are the best of the best! If you have a website, forum thread, or anything like that I will link those as well. Don’t have a website or any online presence and would like one? Maybe I can help out with that as well.

[​IMG]

Ok, I am going to describe the “purpose” and skills being used, followed by some of my equipment thoughts. It is then your job to take it from that point.

Equipment slots to supply, include:
    Head
    Chest
    Legs
    Hands
    Feet
    Weapon – Polearm
    Ring
    Necklace

Optional:
    Off hand
    Belt for combat use
    Back

Use:
    The set is to be designed with two purposes in mind.

The first is that the set should add as much strength bonus and if possible/any as much move bonus increases it can.

The character in question will be using a Belt of the Ox (Already owned), to maximize his strength and bonuses, for carrying capacity. When not in combat of course.

This leads us to our second use. Combat.

[​IMG]

So to talk about combat lets talk about what he will have for training. Polearms, Heavy Armor, Earth, Sun, Some tactics, and a dash of wind for dash and blink are what is planned to train for now. Character training has not begun yet.

Stat attributes im most interested in:
    Strength
    + to Move
    Dexterity
    – To Fizzle Chances

Increases to Earth or sun spells and attunements.

Considerations:
    I’m primarily guessing that most of this would be made using Gaiaism. The Chest piece would need to be heavy armor as that’s the planned armor skill. Other pieces could be heavy, light, or chain, depending on what you think would make the best setup/mix, or it could be all plate or all chain.

Questions? I will make sure any questions sent to me are added with answers to the comments section of this post, as well as getting back to everyone. Thank you and good luck![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Just a suggestion to possibly help you narrow down what you want: Give people your preferred stats as a starting point. I've seen heavy armor mages, archers, and good ol' melee classes which all are going to have different setups and most definitely will not be "best" between them. Especially considering fizzle chance.

Good luck with your search bro, I hope you find what you want!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  3. stile

stile Avatar

Primarily looking for:
    Strength
    + Movements
    Dex
    -Fizzle Chance
    (in that order)

in addition to any Gaisam bonuses (any skills), and Earth Attunements

Will be using a pole arm.

Also looking for a polearm, necklace, and ring to go with this set.

4. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I custom make armor. I make all 3/3's. 3 enchants and 3 masterworks. With what you are looking for you would have to accept smaller dex larger strenth and that's if you can pull those with a random system. I have put +11 str or dex on chest pieces but that on a good roll. And with heavy armor the masterworks will be mostly str so you would have a chance to get dex on the enchant so you would not get the highest. This is why I only take custom orders with the matts up front. To get just what you want you might 3/3 and if you want a special metal you could end up with a cost over a million.

5. stile

stile Avatar

I realize that with the crafting system this means there is also a part luck factor. That's a factor, and I think a good one as luck even applies in real life sometimes. It can be bypassed by making several pieces. this would mean you're making more than i would be buying, but a good crafter is making and selling anyway and should be able to sell those on their vendors and to regular customers if they don't want to rely on just luck, although I wouldn't expect people to be trying multiple makes. I also figure someone crafting a lot would have things in stock to possibly choose from for this contest.

The idea here is to put a spotlight on resourcefulness, creativity, ability to come up with something for a difficult but large order, etc

We see all these contests taking place all the time. We know who the Best PvP's are. We know the best fisherman, dancers, and radio shows. PvE's, sellers, and all these other things. What about.. in a game supplier? Who can offer the best prices, the best equipment, the best recommendations, etc? It doesn't even have to be a crafter. As a merchant myself, id be willing to bid for an order like this if I had things in inventory I could use to put together such an order, and I'd be willing to spend some time in game shopping around seeing what I could maybe put together at good prices for a profit. Or I might hit people on my contact list ive established business relations with and work with them.

So the idea is to pretend im the customer, and I sent you an order request. You can ask questions (just ask them pubibly, so all people entering get the info). I'm offering you a million gold, and here's what I want. I'm also coming across as easy to work with.. meaning.. if you do things little different here or there, I'm ok with it.. im relying on your expertise, to overcome my mistakes in saying what I want. In this particular instance though, you have competitors doing the same thing (im shopping around) - so who will make the best minor alterations, recommendations? Or have a little bit of luck streak that they come up with something a tad better? Or pounded out extras, or shopped for that one piece they weren't getting how they wanted themselves, etc..

I would indicate, that this charecter will never be used for pvp, and only casual pve. Hes a merchant, crafter, hauler, and shopper, and thats why i want his Strength to go as high as it can, and i want his movmement boosted. Ive had to carry as much as 14,000 weight with him before, although 500-1000 is more common. He's also my crafter.. but i do want to take him out for casual PvE and want to start training his skills. I also want him to be able to do some of his own resource harvesting.

The goal is not to create equipment to go stand against the best fighters. its to create equipment that adds the best bonuses for lifting and speed... but, to use those same assetts to their best extent possible, in combat as a secondary use. Additional stats on equipment can be used to help in combat and to boost his skills.

That is the operating in a budget part of this. I could have offered 2 million or even 5 (although i would have needed time to raise it, which is one reason i choose the 1 million amount.. I have it on me).

The main part to this though, are customers are going to have budgets. So the idea here is.. operate within that budget. I'm not asking anyone here to spend 3 million in resources to get a 1 million set of gear. im saying "whats the best you can do, towards what i want, for 1 million.. and that's what you do". Part of that will be based on your time, which can vary from person to person. How resourceful are they? How creative? efficient? lucky? there's all these factors that make one person stand out above others in their craft.

whos the best at that currently in this community? I'm trying to spotlight the style of player that i don't think has had as much of a chance to stand out yet.

Also I felt that blog article adds some value. I WILL spotlight every submission in the article, as well as the winner. I should have said that in the inital piece.

so ill do a more in depth piece of the winner as the focus.

the article will then have a summary area showing each entry, the scoring system i used, and the final score of each entry.

I feel the idea here is that this will help give the community a guide of who some of the best people are to contact this kind of work, and they'll have a sort of portfolio of work to choose from.

What sort of value does this have for you in terms of marketing? You would have to decide that. At one time any blog post on SotA i did had an easy reach of 20K+ people, sometimes 100K. These days? I know it's down, but I haven't looked at my analytics in a long time. They aren't important to me as I do what I do for enjoyment, and I did it when i had 5 views :). I know its still a few thousand a week, most likely at least 10K.

An article like that will easily be 4-8 hours of work, maybe more. I felt it offered some marketing value and helps get this seen which is the idea.

I hope this helps a bit? I know I don't always communicate the best, so I'll continue to help to try to clarify anywhere I can.

I have had a few people let me know they are going to enter the contest and seem excited about it. I've had a couple pass along a thing or two they are doing that is very simple and creative, that made me smile. Overall I don't have a feel for how much interest there is in this or how well it's being received. It was an idea and can only see how it goes :). Nothing but good intent meant though.

I hope it's something all who participate in have fun with. More importantly, I hope to help spotlight some of the best suppliers in the community, to the community.

Also - Maybe the community may want to buy some of the sets that didn't win? They would have the contact info to do so!

6. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I understand what your point is. I have been working with the high end customers who want exactly the stills/stats they want so I make the top. With your point I would go buy what you do as a char and what you want to spend I could give you a top end set. It would not be my very top like with a +16 chest like my main customer base demand but it would be a high end pve 3/3 set.

But one of your points you are a bit off on. For a long time, crafter in this game we do not make back what we spend on the items we make from our venders. The general customer base does not have the gold to buy items at the prices we need to make a profit. This game has the worst break rate of any game out. So we make sets for high end customers and get back what we can with the extras. Your premise only works in normal business. Witch I have been in that world for over 30 years. But in a system that waists as much as this game in breakage and makes matts so hard to farm or buy then a profit is rare. Once they change the loot output again so the players have gold to spend again we can make a profit. But I for the most part I make sets and items people need for their type of play and no one else sells on the market.

I craft more because I love it so the loss and low income in this system does not stop me. I just love to get the best that I can so the players who use my items will be that much better.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.