1. All post bodies concerning Shroud of the Avatar player to player transactions or services are limited to this section of the forums. Unwanted solicitation in other sections of the forums or via chat or private message is prohibited, and could result in account restriction or ban. Posting more than once per week within your own thread, "bumping" it to keep it on top, bumping within a week of the first post, and daily replacing a post with a new one is also considered spam and is therefore, prohibited. Bumping is allowed once per week, if the new post contains information that is meaningful to the original thread (i.e. price updates).

Activities that involve real money exchanges between players are not allowed. Account transfers are not supported. Items purchased in the SotA Store, such as Pledge and Bundle Rewards, Add-Ons, Stretch-Goal items, and Player Owned Towns, as well as services that can be immediately fulfilled in-game (such as renting existing in-game property or items) are the only permitted exchanges in the Player Marketplace.

Be sure to include the types of payment accepted in your post [In Game Gold, COTOs/Crowns, or in game item trade]

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. No in-game or chat based real money exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Catnip Games reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

WTB HOB Cabinet

Discussion in 'Buy Items (WTB Gear, Decorations, Crafted Items)' started by Lord-Galiwyn, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Yep, I know.... I'm far beyond econ 101. tyvm. :)

I have a number of rares myself. Statue heads being one of them. Obviously I'm trying to gauge market sentiment across the board.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good point....

I got one of those but haven't heard much about it. I'll be totally honest about that game - I don't get it.

I love Tracy Hickman, I'm a huge DragonLance fan and I think Blade of the Avatar is brilliant. But when I hear Tracy explain his Sojourner Tales game all I can hear is that guy from Office Space talking about his "Jump to Conclusions mat". I haven't even claimed my physical copy I just wanted the rare for SOTA. If other people are into it, that's great and I wish them and Tracy the best of luck. I just don't really get the attraction. I hope it looks cool in-game.

3. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I
    Asked about this and they dont have an item picked out for it yet. Makes me think its pretty rare. I back a lot of stuff just for the SotA stuff but find out about some cool stuff that I wouldnt look into otherwise.

Duke Gréagóir and Jatvardur like this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Same here. I backed underworld ascendant, that Everquest sequel that never was funded, sojourner tales - all for the SotA exclusives.

5. Drocis the Devious

I haven't backed the Bard's Tale yet. I won't unless there's a SOTA connection. I'm really hoping there will be a Harp or something that we can get in SOTA if we back it.

6. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I agree to these terms.

7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Actually, it is part of the Lord Marshall, Baron and Duke level pledges too. Forgot about that. ;-)

8. Drocis the Devious

Yes, but I don't think that impacts this. The point is that you have to pay $550 or more to get a tax free village lot.

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

True, but it also grants a bunch of other rewards.

... which is why I'd like to get a price on all items.

10. Drocis the Devious

If I tell you that the only way to buy Grand Theft Auto 18 is if you buy it as part of a package that comes with posters, a figure of the main character, and a digital soundtrack of the game that costs $500. And oh yeah, I'm only making a limited amount of them. Do you sell the game for less than $500?

The answer depends on what the demand is.

I think the demand for tax free housing will be rather large.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I added an edit to my post before you posted. Obviously we can spare the econ 101.

I don't think the other items are non-significant in the cost of pledge, but I grant that the deed should take the lion's share. The calculation is slightly muddied (which you should accept) when tax-free village deeds are also part of high level pledges too.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

I'm simply making a case that once you can no longer get a tax free deed from the devs (at launch) then the price will rise until the market decides what value it has. I'm not trying to econ 101 you to death here, I'm just saying that I believe that price has yet to be set and that it WILL be higher than some fraction of what the pledge price was. I think it's reasonable to assume that it will be near or above the pledge price, at least early on after launch.

I'm suggesting this because I think housing will be GONE (poof), and finding a tax free deed will be a challenge once people settle into whether they wish to play the game or not.

I'm totally aware of what the devs said in the postmortem yesterday about housing availability. But I respectfully disagree with them. Unless they think no one is going to show up to play this game at launch, there's no way there will be tons of housing in this game. The devs are not going to make 100k available lots.

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Fair enough.

I'd guess that the HOB will rise in value faster than the tax-free village deed since it is rarer.

Clearly, the Duke and LOTM deeds are even rarer although demand is likely to be less given the huge barrier to entry (thinking on percentage increase in price). It isn't entirely clear if village lots won't be available with some sort of pledge after launch. The devs said they will create new pledges, but I suspect they might keep tax-free deeds (despite anything they've 'promised' before).

Even more interesting is that benefactor pledges can be purchased at a discount to face value, meaning that a tax-free village lot can be purchased for less than $550. If HOB = tax-free village lot then it would be wise to buy a benefactor account now at a discount.

14. Drocis the Devious

I would say that HOB Cabinet would certainly equal Village Tax Free Lot today (if we could make that trade - which we can't, today). :)

Who knows what will be a fair trade at launch. I could see scenarios where an HOB Cabinet would be worth more than that.

15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I peg the village deeds somewhere around $275-300. And the HOB cabinet, less than that. The cabinet has the potential of being more than a village deed but not right now. It could change rapidly depending on population at launch.

E n v y likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

What do you estimate launch population to be?

I would say at a minimum we'll have 200k and at a maximum 1 million.

200 or so cabinets for 200k people? That's why I think the cabinets are so valuable. If you figure there will be far less than 200k players at launch, then yes I think your numbers make more sense (right now).

17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I tend to view all things at their current value. Anticipation is anticipation but I'm not willing to pay for that. If there are 3k people signing up every day I would pay for anticipation. That might happen in the future but its not right now.

Jatvardur likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Speculation has high risk and high reward.

19. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

True. It all comes back to how many people do you think are going to play. Dont wanna pay for an item priced at 200k player base when we are at 50.

This is typical in the real estate market, people say the market is sure to go up, I want X amount for my house but it doesnt sell because they are pricing in future value that hasn't become a reality yet. And lots of people lose money speculating. I prefer Texas Hold 'em over speculation. Have a better shot at those odds.

Not trying to kill your thread.... Nobody really knows the true value of the cabinet until one sells. I think we were close to a true current value in our PM's in May.

20. Drocis the Devious

Well it's not my thread, I didn't start it. :)

It doesn't bother me to hold onto my cabinets until launch. The economics are very strong and in my favor. The biggest risk for me is that the devs create some kind of alternative HOB cabinet thus ruining the exclusivity of what I own. I don't think that will happen with this particular item because of its history, but who knows.

Either way the value is going to be significant unless no one plays this game and I'm confident that will not be an issue at launch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.