Yahoo! Games: article + interview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

IMO. Player looting builds a true economy by creating gold/mat sinks, promotes player crafting, and forces the game to be less about gear and more about skill.

I really hope they implement something like this. I'd hate to see this game end up being a gear grind. Its one of the most annoying things out there in modern MMOs.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Did I miss something? I didn't see them state they are removing that.

If you didn't pick this up before, I got the feeling (specially if you watched the dev+) that open PvP was not planned but they see the large amount of interest so it was added. Open PvP is stand alone, separate from the story. It does have a story element explaining why it's available but that's about as far as I see it going.

Khloec likes this.
  3. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

LOL, Don't sound the alarm just yet. I was worried about the same thing last week until I saw the last Hangout. I believe PVP will have a meaningful purpose. I just don't see how the game could call itself "Sandbox" and not have some form of pvp/pk

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Flagging for open PvP is not going away. No need for alarm.

6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I am definitely hoping we will be able to flag ourselves for open pvp all the time still. I would be disappointed if I was forced to only pvp in the designated pvp zones. If they did decide the scrap that idea I am curious as to why. It seems to me it would be one idea where both pves and pvpers would be happy! The pvpers get more pvp and don't have to just go to pvp zones or duel and the pvers still get to avoid pvp.

Isaiah likes this.
  7. Vorshak

Vorshak Avatar

Ladies, and gents,

Before this turns into another war zone in here. perhaps give the dev's a chance to respond? I noticed Darkstarr reading the thread.

And something to bear in mind, this is a TEXT interview. There is no emotion behind the written words, and as such, things can easily be miss interpenetrated.

And one thing to point out, right at the end of the pvp section

Lord British even said there, this wasn't enough information in what he was providing.

Alexander and Kaisa like this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You are hitting semantics. The guards are protecting those in town, when flagged for open PvP.

You have to get into the mind of RG. Open PvP was not part of the plan, it didn't change the plan by adding it. So while he is describing the plan and didn't meantion open PvP he didn't factor the differences in the equation that open PvP brings. Even if it was for simplicity of clarity of the topic, it's not on his mind.

Open PvP is not going anywhere unless it was explicitly stated that it is out.

Isaiah likes this.
  9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It would be ideal if they did not have the extra resources in pvp zones. They are put there to entice pve players into the zone. Many people refuse to do pvp for various reasons. So they would be at a disadvantage. Yes they can get other nodes but much harder to find and not as many. It is one reason I mentioned there should be a oracle quest for pve people who have not murdered anyone, and alow them to enter a pve hex and fight pve mobs, and get the resources. *edited for spelling lol

10. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I do think we all need to remain calm and wait for more info. I do wish Darkstarr had popped in for a moment to clarify the whole pvp flagging thing. But I imagine that he would want to be sure of his answer before he says anything.

11. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

My main fear for this game is that it will become a gear grind, much like WOW and the korean MMOs because of this anti-loot mindset.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I honostly think he forgot about that or knew that it was a given. :) I wouldnt worry about that to much friend.

13. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Well we really do not know just how common the rarer resources will be in the pvp zones versus the non pvp zones. It actually might not be that big of a difference. Personally I like the idea of the pvp zones having more of the rare resources I think it is fair as long as they are still available in non pvp zones and are not so rare that people still have to go to the pvp zones anyway. Imo pvp zones have more risk then non pvp zones so I think a bit of extra incentive/reward is a good thing. I am sure there will be plenty of instances where even the most hardcore pvpers will find themselves having to participate in non pvp activities or paying others to do it for them.

14. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah you are probably right. :)

Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The community has had this discussion over and over and hardly anyone wants a gear based game, most everyone wants a skill based game. :) I like the no loot policy because it will allow pve to try pvp with no fear and might add to the pvp ranks. The combat looks awesome so far to me, and I think they are trying to balance the pvp templates also. Why would anyone not want more pvp action and more people enjoying it, as opposed to full loot and many not even wanting to try. I have purposed many alternatives to looting. I know time lord has also, and others. pve is afraid of pvp as pvp is afraid of no loot.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

again, thats why I say have a pve hex with resource nodes and high level mobs to fight. The pvp can have theirs, and the pve can have theirs. The only way I can think of that pvp would be mad is that they dont get to loot/grief pve'rs

Time Lord and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I see a gear grind as something separate from the leveling process. Hit max level then start the grind. You could even look at it as a an extended leveling system.

Gear will always have an escalation. Some gear is better than others. It's not going to take you 6 months of leveling then how ever many months of farming MOBs to get your gear.

Gaining gear while playing, then working on improving your character is more of what I expect to see. There will be a little increase here and there. Specially as the crafters gain the ability to make better stuff.

Lord Baldrith, KingPramus and Kaisa like this.
  18. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

I'm hoping this is what will be implemented. I plan on being a crafter/merc. So I guess we shall see.

19. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

"my wife will complain horribly if the kids aren't old enough"

Did you all miss that part of the interview?!? Richard speaks of children plural.
    Kinga is gonna have company!

CONGRATS Richard and Laetitia!

Numa, Kaisa and Vorshak like this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thanks @smack for posting those informative interviews.

For me, the system RG described is fine. I can stick to the safe zones and areas while I pickup the basic gameplay. Then I duel with my friends in selected arenas in the villages, towns and cities to hone my PvP skills in a friendly environment. Most days I'll be crafting or exploring and if there is something I really want in a PvP zone & I don't feel like getting jumped by some random yahoo - I'll just give some willing soul a quest to get it for me.

For people who want non-consensual, open PvP the above system sucks. Ditto for people who want access to all the resources and content without relying on others and without having to experience PvP. Portalarium obviously want a unified, immersive world. If there is a way to reconcile the two extremes without allowing the Oracle to give dispensation for a murdering spree in a safe zone or a safe pass through a PvP zone ( two sides of the same coin) other than the system described - I don't see it honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.