Yes! to Lord British's idea of Dante's Inferno Death Penalty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AllGamer, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

saw today's video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ezBHobrJhow#t=2969s
    and yes!, really looking forward to the Dante's inferno as death penalty, it's going to be awesome!

2. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Agreed!

I would love some kind of dialogue/story element to death.

In Wizardry Online (overall not the greatest or most innovative game, mind) you had grim reapers chase you on death. Wouldn't it be cool if you were being pursued by some element of the spiritual underworld/afterlife if you lived negatively? If you PKed a lot of people, for instance, or stole a lot or committed a lot of other anti-virtuous acts, then you would be harassed as a ghost by more and more daemons, giving you a harsher penalty to stats upon revival if you get caught by them.

Conversely, a relative pacifist would speak to other kinds of spirits, navigating a dialogue tree reflecting on their choices up to this point and what they need to do next...

It's all a huge amount of work design-wise but it would be original and extremely enjoyable.

3. smack

smack Avatar

I've always advocated that death and killing have more meaning in games, and it's great to hear ideas from Richard about this. Having a personalized death experience is a huge step forward in that regard, especially if it ties in with the game's lore, story, and virtue system.

4. selbie

selbie Avatar

It's an interesting idea. Certainly from a visual point of view, it would be awe inspiring to be suddenly thrown into this unrelenting tumultuous hellfire where you have to literally crawl your way out through redemption.

Gameplay-wise, what would the penalty take the form of? Is it a time penalty? a temporary debuff? reduced durability on your equipped items? item LOSS? All of the above?

There is a risk that it could become too grindy and not really enhance your return to the 'living-world'. What happens to your experience of it after you've been through "Damnation" for the 1000th time?

I certainly want something that lets the player transition from death to life again and it certainly should not be a simple "respawn back at your corpse after 60 seconds" mechanic.

Can't wait to see what solutions they come up with.

5. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

I love the idea. It rewards the virtuous and punishes the wicked.

Imagine a PK dies, and goes into the dungeon of Purgatory where he is given a shovel and is instructed to mine enough ore to put weight on a pressure plate that opens a door to escape. Except, he has to do while avoiding a hoard of NPC PKs.

If you are playing a virtuous game maybe escaping Purgatory is relatively simple. Imagine being given the task of slaying a group of bandits and giving your loot to a beggar, who has the key to escape the dungeon.

6. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I love the idea. I just hope, they find a way, to create such content without it becoming repetitive

7. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

The short answer to it not becoming repetitive is to not die a hundred times... ;)

8. smack

smack Avatar

The punishment should fit the crime and should be balanced by your virtues / karma. The more negative your karma, the deeper in hell you'll need to dig yourself out of. If you were a ******** that was killed by a bunny rabbit, well, maybe you're sent back to the tutorial module to learn how to use a dagger :p

9. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

easier said than done (*going back playing Dark Souls* =p )

10. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

@AndiZ275
    re: becoming repetitive

unless you keep committing the same act of bad karma, like PK over and over again (that's quite boring already), then in hell you'll be repenting for a similar act over and over again

so, if you want death to be entertaining, just make sure to do different acts of evil per say :p
    then in hell you'll have a nice variety of repenting to do :D

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I had recommended something similar over at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=death-ooooooooo

Just replace city with Inferno. :)

From a longer post:
    <blockquote>
    On death your body drops and you can watch the scene until you are brought back. If you walk too far away from your corpse, or your body decays, you would be transported to some world of the dead where you would have to find some way to return. It would be nice if this was a game among itself: a city with mysteries to explore and tasks to complete with multiple ways to become corporeal again. I think RG would do great at this after watching his D&amp;D session. You could not have traditional combat because you are already dead, so this would be a city or world of puzzles unlocking the the gift of life or something worse than death (maybe find yourself haunting Chuckles house). However, the hard part is adding enough content where people won?t just know the gambit to return as quickly as possible.</blockquote>

Even being dead could be part of the game where you could find ways to enter the world as a ghost and haunt places.

12. smack

smack Avatar

@Umbrae: If that sort of richly detailed death experience is part of the game's lore, sure, sign me up for those types of 'death' quests.

I would further extend these ideas to incorporate full blown quests that can take you into the spirit realm, if there is such a thing in SotA. Tying in with the virtues and death penalties (whatever they may be for your character), it could even 'entice' you to forsake your virtues in search of some reward in the hereafter. Or, you have a difficult decision to make and death is one option that you take as part of a quest.

Death doesn't always need to be a debuff penalty. It can be a game experience unto itself and can provide rich gameplay rather than evoke negative reactions to dying.

13. Ramrodicus

Ramrodicus Avatar

Absolutely love it

14. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

Interesting idea, if it fits with the story/lore and LBs vision for the game, then I am all for it

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think death is going to be treated differently depending on where you are and what the situation is. If I'm fighting some say PvP scenario, it's a coin clip whether I live through it. Or may I want something with re-spawns. Or maybe I have a group waiting. I've played games such as Lineage2 where combat resurrection was a huge part of any fight. Can players rez players?

I dislike the "get it perfect or wipe and reset" of WoW raiding. So a harsh death penalty (in terms of time if nothing else) seems to imply you wont be dying 10 times in a day. And I'd support this.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Love this idea. That way they can have a different experience for Virtuous people vs Sinister.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If the ghost does materialize from the ethereal plane or whatever maybe the ghost of a truly virtuous person could glow or have more of an appearance of an angel, whereas the other end of the extreme the truly evil character's ghost appears more like some kind of menacing a poltergeist or spectre. And the people who are in between just have normal ghosts.

I think I'm going to add this to the wish-list thread because I think it will be a cool feature if ghosts are in the game.

19. Screwtape

Screwtape Avatar

Any death penalty that doesn't get me back to playing the GAME within 2-3 minutes and I will be very unhappy.

I plan to PvP and probably PK anyone that I feel like, but do all the quests and gameplay as the goody goody hero, how that will balance my "karma" rating, no idea.

BUT I will say this, if being a PK PvPer negatively affects my gameplay in OTHER aspects of the game, I will not be happy. Just because I enjoy PKing and PvPing doesn't mean I just be punished in death more than others. Example, say some goody hero dies and he gets back up and PLAYING THE GAME within 1-2 minutes, but a PK PvPer dies and it takes 5-10 minutes before he gets back to PLAYING THE GAME, that would not be okay at all.

Any death or game system that negatively affects how you are treated by a system in the game is not a good idea. Throw as much lore and pretty graphics you want at it, but all it will do is make every PvPer or PK very upset.

We just want to enjoy the game as much as anyone else, and I hear people calling PKers Sinners, and saying they should be "punished" more than people who play by "virtues", why do all these Virtue people care how us PK PvPers are treated when by DESIGN this game is pretty much going to keep us from ever really interacting unless the carebears want to see us?

Awe Heck why don't we throw some lore in there that because we are PKers the devil (or whatever powers that be that are in hell/death) would just spit us QUICKLY back to life, because we are allies of death and hell and they know we will send more people to their graves than those that don't PK, so by letting us get back to life quickly, more people would die quicker. How about them apples?

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I still like the Ghosts idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.