Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

You are going to be swamped with new players in next few weeks...

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Are you server loads ready?

Is your game ready?

The reviews are about to start flowing in.

You think you'll get 1 million... you'll get 10 million.

The common philosophy is plan for the worst hope for the best... you will get the best, plan for the worst case server load possible... I will bet a Lordship Castle, a POT and a flying horse that you get nailed on public market release day with 2x your worst case scenario of new player login quantity. If not I will shut up and never post in forums again... (fair trade if you ask me)

Final wipe day will probably overload your servers and make them crash... never mind release at end of year.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

No doubt we will see some more folks.

But this month is not 'public release.'

Development continues. It's just that alpha/beta testers will have persistent characters now.

Look for more marketing of the game for launch late this year.

Ellrynn likes this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah....what?

kbruder likes this.
  4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

So you realize this is an internal update and they arent advertising it? Only the people actualy staying up to date with the game will even know, and hell most the KS backers dont even know that there is a final wipe. They arent publishing this as some Grand opening/start. Well see alot come back and check in, but dont expect a flood till Port actualy goes on the advertising campaign around the 1st of the year.

5. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

When is this final wipe and does that mean their will not be anymore wipes so I can actually start toon and not loose it.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is my estimate too and I hope you are right.

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

end of july. yes.

8. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I hope new players come! Hard to believe that will be the case with R31 being regarded as mostly a total flop. From character movement being originally broken, to pvp being broken, and the crashes being more frequent than ever before, oh and the lag problems..one can only hope people will still have faith that this game will be good. R31 hasn't even been playable yet for me, even after the first patch.

Xail likes this.
  9. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

I haven't played in a few months and figured it was still not worth playing.

10. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

This release isn't worth it. Not yet anyway. I'm guessing the reason it was released late was because they weren't done building it yet. Would explain why there are so many issues. Probably wasn't play tested at all. How else could something as simple as player movement be broken upon release.

11. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

You dont think word gets out? Are you silly... this is the creator of the very first real MMOG UO if you don't think people are awaiting Shroud you know little of the RPG world and MMOG's

Time Lord likes this.
  12. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

View it this way and assume this is the average person at your peril.

Shroud is playing in a new ball field with kickstart and prerelease benfactor status... it's not the same as the typical game that has a closed beta. I'm saying that the final wipe is sort of a release stage whether they want to admit it or not. It's open beta with a twist. By stating that this is final wipe players that want a jump start on the public will start to flow in. They will then start voicing opinions based on assumption that its a complete game ready to go despite that not being true., Final wipe is a way of "soft release"... Screw it up and the game fails no matter how many "public" releases you hold.

Xail and Time Lord like this.
  13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

:rolleyes:

14. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This is actually very important. Reviews can make or break a game for a lot of potential players.

15. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, 10k concurrent would be extraordinary, given what the game will be like on July 28th.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

However what more could they do in one two or three months? They might be able t resolve some or most of these things but then people will definitely expect it to be fixed.

this is a kobyashi maru moment, but taking it head on as they are is probably the safest bet. I say that to ease anxieties not increase it.

Although anxiety itself is its own beast.
    I know what it is like to feel severe anxiety and I have had to manage it. I've improved quite a bit but nothing truly takes away those moments of intense cycling thoughts, and even paranoia, however I have found ways to recognize it, and when it is over I can snap out of it. However recognizing it and accepting it is probably all we can do, I know some zen people but when crisis happens we just gotta deal and accept our feelings at that moment and not make it worse by being your own worst critic!!!

This is the time for the dev team to take the spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down.... they aren't alone and they have people who care regardless of the results. They won't end up on the streets begging for change.

The worst case scenario is just a standard catastphic thinking caused by intense anxiety. It is a side effect of anxiety. Knowing that doesn't ease the stress but it always gave me a sense of comfort knowing I am not the only one who thought these crazy thoughts. Other crazies thought like that too.

Anyway, I have been through major traumatic experiences and had to retire and we didn't have enough cash flow we had debt. Some how it all just worked out. The worst case scenarios NEVER happend how I thought, and yes it was stressful but the ammount of stress was unnecessary since the stakes were never as I imagined or calculated.

The toughest thing is the cycling thoughts. It prevented me from being creative and seeing a future beyond the "event" or "event horizon" as I thought it to be.

Let's see this thing through and take the medicine.... let's go fly a kite... happy birthday lord british... happy 4th of july. Enjoy each day and breathe. If you can't breath then hug somone and tell them your feelings.

People like to say God doesn't give us anything we cannot handle... that is a crock. It's ok not to be able to handle it its okay to feel weak.

If you can put your game face on and get ready for anything then do it. Turn up the rock music and get ready to kick ass... if you cannot do that this month that too is okay, but do yourself a favor and tell your friends about your fears and get some genuine hugs. The worst that can happen is you learn wich people to open up to and which people to show your game face to.

Diet helps. While under extreme stress back off the simple sugars, alcohol , and caffeine as those will trigger worse feelings. That isn't just a guideline they act as powerful components that provide a catalyst or synergy or whatever. don't ask me why but those foods react way differently when under major stress. Caffeine is obvious because it makes you alert, but the sugar and alcohol increase anxiety long after consumed (days) to the point it is nearly impossible to link the horrific anxiety to the consuming of the nutrient, BUT working out (even jsut an hour long walk), and drinking lots of water will help clear that and that's how I can tell. Advil also helps some people if they have inflammation that can lead to anxiety, and clearly some anxiety medicine can help significantly as well but those also have some side effects but they aren't as bad of side effects as alcohol believe it or not.

If you go the holistic route gaba is relitvely good but if youre taking clonazapam or adavan taking gaba actually can interfere with the pathway the perscription is targeting nullifying the effects of both. I don't offer that diet experience lightly. Once the adrenaline kicks in and caffeine alcohol and a box of candies... oh and "lack of sleep" is bad runnin... usa people gonna die...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Ulf Berht and Acred like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Those of us who play under these conditions, do so in order to tell Port what we do and do not like - and to report all the bugs...

You know, help mold the game.

You should try it... it's actually fun more often than not.

While you were not playing for a few months, much has been done with the help of most of the people you're talking to here in the forums.

Fister Magee and Acred like this.
  18. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Don't play the lottery you guessed wrong on all counts.

The Windows build was late (mac and Linux were out on time) because of a building power outage during the night while the build process was running. That crash caused issues with the code base. The Mac and Linux specific builds were easier to get up and running than the Windows one was.

The QA builds were in dev+ hands at the same time as usual. Dev+ backers had the same amount of time as usual to play the QA builds so it was play tested as usual.

The build on test had nothing to do with player movement being, as you describe it, broken.

kbruder likes this.
  19. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

the servers are AWS up der in da cloud. the way this game is instanced it can handle literally ANY amount of players. they just wont all be in the same instance.

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (I'm always amazed each Wednesday when every school child in Thailand is dressed up in the Boy and Girl Scout uniform.... "It's like a Scouting explosion". Scouting in Thailand is compulsory for all children by Warrant of their King)

SOTA truly doesn't know how many will come...
    So it's a valid concern to "be prepared" ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.