Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

You should move at a fixed speed as a ghost

Discussion in 'Release 40 Feedback Forum' started by redfish, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've noticed that when you have movement penalties due to encumbrance, you'll also have the same movement penalties as a ghost when you die -- which suggests that everything that effects movement speeds when alive also effects it when dead.

Why should any of that matter when you're incorporeal, though? All players should move at the same rate as a ghost, and any movement penalties or buffs should turn off temporarily, imo.

uhop and fonsvitae like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You don't lose your stuff, it goes with you to wherever you resurrect. Also, any buffs you had, I'm pretty sure, are removed when you die.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Barugon,

Yea, but you aren't carrying it in your ghost form. Also the way it works, Dexterity should matter to how fast your ghost moves, as well as some of your Light Armor skills, and I don't see why.

I don't really think it makes sense from a lore perspective, and I don't think it has a real purpose to gameplay, either. When you're alive, encumbrance effecting your movement prevents you from carrying unlimited stuff across the map, and also creates more risk dealing with enemies within a map. When ghost, there is really no gameplay point to the penalty, and I don't think it makes sense from a lore perspective either, and so is just an annoyance IMO.

fonsvitae likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If they removed the encumbrance penalty then someone would figure out how to abuse it.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Barugon,

Not sure I understand how, if its only removed when you're dead. Worst case is that it allows a person to escape a scene faster by dying and then fleeing to the ankh. But don't you get spawn protection when you resurrect? I mean, allowing players to camp respawns isn't a good design goal anyway, so I shouldn't think that matters. And you want other death penalties to dissuade a player from killing himself so readily in any case.

If any delay is needed, I think it would be better to just add time to the Ankh Resurrect timer if encumbered, rather than to slow down movement speed.

fonsvitae likes this.
  6. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

I noticed this a few releases ago and thought it was a funny and silly (and annoying) bug brought into being not by design but by an unanticipated for oversight.

It should be fixed as it serves no purpose in game except to shine a light on a dev error that potentially annoys players. Should be filed as a bug, as it is one.

uhop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.