Your Ideas on PvP Quests

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Acrylic 300, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

The examples of PvP quests so far have mostly hinted toward smuggling.

I'm interested in hearing any other QUEST ideas people may have that would warrant a consensual PvP encounter?

2. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

This may or may not be consensual, but how about bounty hunter quests?

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm hoping it's mechanic driven but somewhat sandboxy with repeatables. So your guild/faction/alliance holds territory and there's a bunch of stuff to do around defense. And similarly around offense if there's an enemy.

Related to this is this might simply be an opportunity to declare your allegiance in a more flexible world. e.g. some castle gets taken; by taking a quest to attack or defend, you get effectively thrown into to that faction for some period of time. This gets you quests for whatever you like to do, whether crafting or gathering stuff or whatever. Ideally it's somewhat market driven in that the mechanics push you toward what's "needed" rather than everyone doing the same thing all the time.

Mattsy, cobran and acrylic_300 like this.
  4. Robby

Robby Avatar

Maybe there should be quests for people of level 1-5 that are PvP, but you dont have to do them. There could be gear at the end of the quests that are very useful at this level range but complete garbage after level 6 or so. Then you get another option to do a PvP quest at level 10, (say theres a cave that says must be lvl10 to enter but if the lore tells you that people might attack you as you read about the cave you may decide to go on questing and ignore the cave.) and once you hit lvl 16 you cant go to that quest anymore. If you happen to get thru the quest you will earn a nice weapon/armour for the level 10-20 range. The quests would be optional, but there would be the potential to be pk'd in them, it wouldnt mean it would happen for sure though, someone would have to go into the cave with you AND decide to attack you rather than be friends. And if he chooses to attack, he will get a murder count... whatever that does to a character im not sure yet...

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

what, no pole? bummer....

Ned888 and acrylic_300 like this.
  6. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

Bounty Hunter could work... Eg someone starts a quest to kill a known murderer and the game tracks someone for them to hunt. The 'muderer' has in turn opted into this quest by some other in-game mechanic/previous quest to flag them PvP/murderer/thief/adulterer etc etc.

'Guild' PvP quests could be great. Territory based is an obvious one. But a 'smuggling' one may work for guild-like numbers too eg they agree to transport a vault-load of treasure across the world for some merchant. The other guild gets a whisper this is happening and has to try and stop them.

Trying to think of others- someone signs up to be 'security' at a bar. Another player opts in by getting drunk/doing something argumentative, barkeep (npc) asks u to kick them out for being unruly. It gets 'taken outside' and effectively becomes a duel...

May be a terrible idea but thinking out loud!

acrylic_300 likes this.
  7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I love the Bounty Hunter idea.
    It could provide an interesting dynamic between players.
    It would be really fun.

8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

How about several treasure maps appear throughout the world all at the same time. The maps will vanish an hour later. Reading the map gives you the choice to join this free for all.

They could appear in the oddest of places. On NPC vendors, Mob drops, Fished up...anywhere.

It wouldn't have to be a map.....anything to summons several players to a reward of some sort.

I also like opposing NPC Guilds. If I'm in the merchants guild I might get special quests to ship goods while someone in the pirates guild would be trying to loot the goods I'm trying to deliver. Maybe they even declare war once in a while.

Smuggling could branch out also. Imagine catching a rare fish out of season and having the choice to flag for PvP or throw it back. The reward could come after making it to the black market. Maybe the quest came from the black market to begin with.

I hope there is opportunity everywhere in all professions.

I also love the bounty hunting idea. Someone completes a murder quest. Then a bounty quest opens...or something like that.

9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

A twist in Bounty Hunting would be a mission to kill a player of an opposing faction (assuming this game has faction standing).

10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Without knowing what exactly PvP will be, it is so hard to make any suggestions that would possibly be of any positive use.

Also, does/will the definition of PvP including things like guild vs guild and does it include things like acquiring new upgrades for use in non-person-person fighting (ie. siege warfare).

So many different aspects to this, for me, that go way beyond just regular player combat.

11. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

Obviously a lot is unknown, with plenty more info to (hopefully) come shortly.

There's enough threads talking types of PvP what should or should not be the rewards/benefits.

The idea of good quests to facilitate any type of PvP is exciting. Obviously these ideas are just thoughts being tossed around. But if it involves groups/guilds/singles/towns I'm all for it

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

This might work.
    But I think there should be some level segregating of players for any of this stuff because that would help prevent people from being totally creamed by someone all the time and making them want to quit participating in the PvP quests.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Personally, I like the idea of the bounty hunter missions, but the reality is it only works if both parties are on for the entire mission. What if the 'prey' has to go to work and logs off or their ISP drops? How long to you have the mission? Can you get a different target or does it have to be the original participant? What if the 'prey' decides they don't want to be 'prey' any more? What if the criminal 'flag' for lack of a better word runs out and the target is no longer a criminal? What if they decide they don't like the face they picked and they delete the character completely (it happens ;) ).

I don't know how they can make this work consistently to ensure that it's a viable mission. If it's a 1-5 mission which is great, what happens if you out level it? Now it's kind of useless.... You really have to be able to consistently complete the mission for it to be any good, right?

I like the sound of the missions where you become the target, and others hunt you. That will work, because you will be flagged target until you complete the mission. Go ahead and log off, when you log on, you are still the target; the hunters can be any and everyone. I also like the idea of capturing territories/items which are stationary, since this doesn't depend on the participation of two separate parties to complete the achievement. Even then if the sides are uneven, then there will be only one winner time and again. This happened in Fusang Projects (in TSW) all the time; roll Templar and you auto win.

It all comes down to the reliability of the players and their RL equipment. This is why I don't put a huge amount of weight on the PvP side of games; the threats have the potential to be too wildly varied which makes the entire experience hit or miss.

acrylic_300 likes this.
  14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I've been gone a while. Are they talking of having level based characters? I'm not much on invisible walls (areas off limits to levels) I would just as soon figure it out by getting toasted.

I think it would also depend on the type of PvP quest. If it was something like finding clues to a hidden object or a scavenger hunt or a race then levels may not be such a big deal.

One of my favorite examples of PvP is PrimeRib's Pie baking analogy. I think it's safe to say that most people think of PvP as something more dangerous though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.