Zoning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roger36, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

The overland map bypasses all "choke points" though. I don't see the difference really. There's nothing that forces someone to go into a town as it is right now.

What are the choke points, and what is their function?

Lord Baldrith, FrostII and Budner like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Caliya,

The plan for a lot of choke points is that many will be control points; players will have to defend them against NPCs, or battle other players for control.

3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Who/what will control points? How is this different than a random encounter, that does not involve a specific area on a map, but instead, it's a random instanced event.

Are you saying that players will control certain regions? If so, how will that work if someone has opted not to PvP?

Maybe some of this info is in Dev+ but your responses leave more questions than answers. I don't understand why someone must be forced to walk on a particular road.

Lord Baldrith and FrostII like this.
  4. Curt

Curt Avatar

Personally i hope for a couple of teleport spells at the top of each skill tree
    Ardoris has a lot of water so a teleport spell in the water school could lead there.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sorry milady but your whole approach to the perceived problem here is wrong.

The only reason mounts costs so much is because the animation system is hard to work with, I know I've tried Unity and other engines. It requires alot of dev power.

As to having horses to go faster, I mean yes, yes I would love to be on horseback at all times, and it does not ruin my immersion one bit, I'd actually expect the horse to have downsides, like having to stable it before entering a castle and such, but I'd still want to run around faster pretty much all the time.

I think my fully trained avatar seemingly short sprint span is a real pain, he walks slow and runs clumsy and cannot even run 100 meters without being out of focus.

If I follow this logic, my character isn't able to wear heavy armor cause he'd crumble panting after 5 minutes.

About dev power...

well it seems clear now that R18 will be all about combat, guild warfare etc... the devs are catering to the PvP community which of course includes "old school" UO players, but I'm afraid most of these players completely lost what it means to be "old school" as exemplified by their demands that have GREATLY influenced the developpement of this game.

There might have been mounts planned, but now its all about combat, its all about PvP.

There was an uproar from true roleplayers and old school ultima fans, but it largely went ignored and for a very good reason, they aren't compatible with the consumable "get in get out" type of game most "modern" pvpers want.

I wish I could put it in clearer terms, but we're in a dark, dark tunnel and theres only one light source, which is being dimmed by a cloud of vapor from all this exiting, sweaty, and masculine pvp going on.

I also wish I could put it in more respectful terms, I'm very happy about my pledge and the game, but I'm very unhappy about the direction dev power has taken.

*sigh*

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I didn't think I perceived a "problem." But if I did, your post leaves me confused, because I'm not really sure what you're trying to refute from my original post on mounts.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hm. Pretty much everything, but it dosen't matter much milady :)

The thread is about zoning and when you have a horse, sometimes you zone less and add life to the game. You have to see it as a solution, its not merely cosmetic.

It's all about balancing and I also beleive any finished MMO has a fully functional mount system.

How can you have a "knight" pledge level and no horses planned... :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.