Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Really? My max resist went back up about 8%

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I am lvl 62 full chain + 2H axe and I am doing fine in T5 , even against 3 mobs at the same time. Stop complaining and fix your build...

Elwyn likes this.
  3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

It is doable, yes. I can kill the things I could before. I still take more damage than before R52 went live. Quite a bit more. Also, what seems to be almost completely ignored for some reason is that that defensive buffs are not doing anything. There is no difference between me having them active, and not. That is a problem, and no one is talking about that.

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I am not noticing that so far.. but I see the numbers change and I suppose I assume they're working. :) Unless you're referring to magic buffs?

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Hmm... maybe my max DR did go up. I was looking at the base. My max going up really doesn't do me or anyone else any good, does it? I'm already GM in the shield and heavy armor DR passive skills. A max DR increase really isn't helping anyone, is it?

Almar likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It depends on how much damage you would take. Between resist and max it takes which ever one is less compared to the damage delt. Just to use me as an example.. my current resist is 30.4 and max 69.7% without skills..

So if something came along to hit me for 30 damage.. it would reduce 69.7% of that.. about 21 points.. and I would actually take 7 points of damage from that hit. Now, if something came along to hit me for 100 damage.. it would use my resist of 30.4.. because I can only resist up to that much.. and I would take 70 damage.

Guess it depends on what you're fighting. For a boss you're probably right, your max % isn't going to help you.. but a swarm of the boss's friends? It just might. I can see where if you're used to fighting T6+ that might naturally hit harder there may be issues there.

By Tor likes this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

After playing some last night and a little this morning it is definitely better. Do I think it could higher? Yes. Do I think plate mail is effective anymore. No.

I ran through Tenebris, once in my uber player made plate, sword and board and then in my Darkstarr chain. I noticed that I wasn't taking as much damage against groups but the archers were giving me a tough time. Did not die once but had to retreat back to the entrance a few times to regroup.

I then switched up and went basic two-handed and Darkstarr Chain with a modified deck utilizing more fire and life. I absolutely hate to say this, but I was 100X more effective this way. With the lower fizzle I was just more versatile and capable of handling more. Didn't need to regroup at all!

This does bum me out a little because I love plate, but right now the game isn't structured well to really use it. There has got to be a middle ground here we can find.

8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Bottom line is: this change hasn't made a difference for me. I've been a very loyal backer from the beginning. Like others have said - this feels like the last straw. It feels like every time the devs attempt a "balance", it seems like they're making the game less fun for almost everyone. They justify it by saying "it's good for the game"... but is it? Is pushing many backers away and tempting them to give up on this game that we love "good for the game"? Sorry if this is coming across negative but I'm feeling demoralized at this point. I love SotA and this community so much... but these never ending "fixes" to things that don't seem broken have really worn me down.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

what I am not understanding is you are inner changing absorbtion and resistance like they are the same thing.
    I know when I look at my skils and attributes they are two totally different numbers.

so I am now confused again

Once a long time ago you gave me the math and I created a chart that we could plug in all data and damge and get what the result was can I get the math again?

It was somtihg like a % of one > than % of the other and the lesser was applied???

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I wear Chain and before the fix I could no longer do Tier 4 (yellow to me, Tier 3 is Green to me). Now I can do Tier 4 again (somewhat comfortably, I need to pay attention to what I am doing and what skills are active) so I’m happy. :D

Elwyn, Cordelayne and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not sure why you talk about plate only when all our defensive skills we have sunk most of our xp into have been chopped in half. Even in chainmail you're nerfed big time...

Sick and tired of being told to fix my build when I been playing MMOs and RPGs for over 20 years... I made my build like I was told in the game, intuitively playing who I am.

I know how to combine skills for the best result, have different decks... the learning curve was steep and I was just beginning to handle tier 4 zones, sure I could handle some mobs in tier 5 cause its a really arbitrary notation.

I will be listing this account for sale shortly... thats it for me, I'm now looking towards ashes of creation or crowfall...

Even if my leveling was a waste of time I don't consider my experience in SOTA was a waste of time... I think the world is great, I was *kinda* proud of having participated in its creation, met great people...

But you don't set me back after I worked so hard to achieve a semblance of self-sufficiency, and you don't take XP off my skills I worked hard for, even if my pool was empty.

That is too much nonsense, its a game not a bitcoin investment.

Have fun everyone, I was honored to serve with you all.

Its kinda funny because I was flagged PvP since the beginning, and I have never been attacked once... all that happened is that I was acting like some self-service superstore for thieves. What is even funnier is that I have never seen one of those thieves, never seen an alert that I was being stolen from, only the ransom alert.

Fun game really... guess I had to level the sun tree to get reveal and spend my time casting it around in the hopes I'm not playing against a uber meta-GM stealther.

Again, not fun...

Only thing that kept me in game was my guild... and they keep whining the game is not fun and does not evolve. In fact I admired their perseverance, which is why I was reluctant to leave. That is one of the qualities I appreciate the most in people, resilience, perseverance, patience.

But a kick in the guts is a kick in the guts... they were already laughing at me with my build... now I think they would die of laughter to see that the weakest build in the whole game according to them (me) has been nerfed hard.

By Tor and Aurora Australis like this.
  12. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Yeah the "fix" that was applied really didn't do much to make this better for myself either. Still sitting at around 58% in full meteoric. Allot of the problem with this crap is just how swarmed with enemies you get in this game, the nice thing about my pre Nerf meteoric was being able to survive the swarm/heal through it but now.. well I can't do content that I could do before the patch.

It would be fine I think if aggro and spawn timers worked more like every other game but in SOTA it's always felt busted, you get swarmed by pop in mobs faster than you can even look over the loot of previously slain foes. I have been leveling alongside my brother we are both AL70 I was the tank he was the archer, he could kill things 10x faster than me but I would be able to take a hit better.. now I feel like I have 0 identity in the game.. he's still dropping monsters and running in circles but now I'm chasing archers with my pathetic DPS and being pulled into more and more then the pop in spawn happens and it's game over.

@Chris you threatened earlier that you could make sota like other games and have trivial foes give zero reward. Honestly I think this would be better than the system you have in place now, that's not a threat it's an enticing offer at this point everything in the game drops 20 gold and one Mandrake anyway, if I can go back to surviving the green hoards but they drop nothing that would be perfectly fine by me.

13. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm sorry to see you go but I totally understand. Everything you said is how I feel. I've never felt this way or ever considered leaving - but enough is enough. This rollercoaster ride of never-ending nerfs to builds people have spent thousands of hours and years building is a game breaker for many of us .. including myself.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Completely agree... it is beyond ridiculous.

Cordelayne and By Tor like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yep its the third time I have to respec because of nerfs... and some people who had nerfs had 100% unlearn options, I never had those.

I'm not only a kickstarter backer, I was a seer of Origin\EA circa 1998... the ultima games are the games I played the most in my entire life. I'm not only a fan, I'm a SUPER fan.

Now I feel like a single bad apple ruined the whole basket... I have cried alot during the developpement process when the focus was put on RMT because to me, the whole "spiritual" side of ultima and ascension etc is all a lesson about avoiding such meta-gaming. That was manifest in UO as well during the Origin story arch (followers of armageddon)... where I was playing Bal-Lem. Now talking about selling my account give me no emotion, not even a pinch. I am spent and burned...

RMT won the game... The real roleplayers, the real nerds with integrity and moral values, lost.

This is high treason, BETRAYAL as spoony would have said.

yeah I know... git gud, which for a casual player like me means : just buy some powerleveling service.

DreadPirate80 and By Tor like this.
  16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Amen.

17. The Thunderwolf

The Thunderwolf Avatar

So everyone will end up with a freaking bow in this game ?

Cordelayne and By Tor like this.
  18. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Mage or Bow is what it's looking like. Melee seems dead to me. They may get around to destroying those builds too at some point.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I guess I just can't relate and have no idea how others are playing. I just spent a few hours hunting in my full plate, nothing but melee in a tier 5 and I think I did quite well. Raised some skills.. came back with a full haul.. didn't die once.. Just picked up a couple shrine buffs, had a good meal and away I went. Is everyone else just wading into hordes with reckless abandon or something? (Which I feel I could've done last release)..

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Well, I spent countless hours (as I'm sure you have) to build my avatar so I can walk into a den of wolves and have no fear of death. How does it help the game that I am now slaughtered by these wolves? Sure.. I can run around, spam my attacks and survive. But.. I didn't build a character to do that. It took a long time for me to become a tank. That's what I wanted. Now, I don't have that any more. How is destroying the tank build helping anyone? Why is it that me going in and taking little damage from green wolves hurting the game? I'm sorry.. I just don't get it. I still can only take on a reaper and win 1 out of 5 times. I've seen a single archer do it that had less AL than me do it with relative ease. Same thing with a mage. And that's fine.. that's their forte'. My forte' used to be able to walk into a group and kill them without having to jump around, run around and use spells or ranged tactics. Now that's changed. The melee character is a joke.

As other have said in response to these questions: just adapt. Learn magic, get different buffs, change my tactics. My answer to that is : No. I don't want to. I thought this was a classless system. Now it's not. Well, it is if you want to play the weakest of the weak.

Was this is an issue in PVP? I have no clue. I don't pvp. If it was an issue - then maybe they should nerf the DR when you flag for PVP?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Cordelayne, FrostII and Chatele like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.