Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Friend, as a who someone wears plate too and is effected by this change like you, I understand why Chris made this change and support the developers making changes for the best interest of the game & majority of players. HOWEVER, I think this level of change requires the developers to provide a 100% unlearn to all skills to allow those upset with the change with the option to adjust their character. I think that is both fair to players and to the developers vision.

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

If this change is here to stay.. then i couldn't agree more. A shame, though , that ill have to do that.

3. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I would expect this change to remain as it, according to Chris, was little more than returning to what was in effect as of 3 months ago. I know it is discouraging we being invincible was pretty cool but I would hope you'll continue in heavy armor just as I am. It is the way I like to play.

By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

He claimed it was like this 3 months ago. Doesn't feel like it though. I'm far from invincible, by the way. Just could handle green bad guys like I think I should at my level and build.

Yes, I'll probably stay with my build if I keep playing. I really don't feel like starting over.

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

After playing for a bit today it's more or less back to pre r51 levels maybe slightly less my biggest issue is still the fact that plate is nowhere near enough of a damage resistance (both in raw resist and max percentage) increase versus chain to truly justify the double amount of fizzle and I have to do more research but meteoric vs. something like bronze or constantan isn't either especially when talking in big fights where 100+ damage per hit is the norm

Cordelayne and By Tor like this.
  6. Sakarisei

Sakarisei Avatar

Well, it's true that reducing the Damage Absorption makes hits from enemies harder, but I can still reflect those hits with Chaotic Shield (With Chaos Specialization) and Defensive Stance. It will not give the same protection, but at least it is still a wall for the others...

PD: Using Obsidian Armor instead standard armor.

7. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I equipped some basic Royal Founder Plate Armor and a vendor bought plate helm and went to DR to find a pack of green wolves. I have 1 point in Heavy Armor. A Healing Grace and some defensive skills would of been all that was needed to make this encounter a walk in the park. This video is me surviving for 1 minute (More then enough time to kill the wolves) with no buffs or heals. I would make a longer video but I have to take my 2 year old Kayaking down Weeki Wachi.... maybe when I get back.

Montaigne likes this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah, this has been my feeling now as well. I just don't see Plate as a worthwhile armor anymore due to the fizzle. Stinks...

By Tor likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry to see you go too. I always advise to hold off on selling your account. So many times I've heard players come back after new content and stuff comes in and they are sad that they now do not have their stuff to jump in with, but really that is your choice of course. Playing another game while waiting for things to happen in this game is always a good option if someone is in a slump or frustrated by changes. Breaks can be good since while someone is having a break they know this game will keep developing month by month with releases and heading toward the next episode and boating, mounts, and who knows what all. ;) So while they are gone nothing in this game is stagnate but being actively developed. Best wishes to you on your adventures.

By Tor likes this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thank you Majoria, always appreciate that you care... my guild convinced me not to ragequit and offered me to help me respec by powerlevelling me... theres 3 of us that kept ranting last night so they accepted to do it for us.

I did a few tests with Chris's adjustments, its not so bad anymore... I can still handle myself if I use the best buffs and devotionals and good hp regen food.

I knew there was a bug in the last release because I was literally taking 0 damage... but now I realize all the xp I put in defensive skills is completely useless.

As @Cordelayne says, it completely ruined plate but also defensive builds that made it interesting. Which was my focus of the last months... I'm set back around where I was 6 months ago. It truly is a masochist game...

I'm now forced to let myself be dragged around for a boring powerlevelling session... well not so boring since I had a pvp fight... thats right... I received ONE arrow and I was dead. That archer definately had 100% DR, in fact I could never approach him :p

Fun times... but yeah ima lurk around and see if anything changes for the best.

Cordelayne and By Tor like this.
  11. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

My brother has bronze bone armor with just as much damage avoidance and a smidge less damage resistance than my +10 meteoric plate. I have 32% fizzle he has 12%. I don't think anything else needs to be said I'm going back to chain.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There ima cut your DR in half on your plate and all your defensive skills and leave the fizzle rate as is... how did that EVER go through QA, it does not look good.

13. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

I'm not 100% sure yet but I think avoidance might be the new absolute best stat to have. Heavy armor skills seem to prioritize it, I'm also just now realizing there is a skill in tactics that gives a huge boost to it as well I,m going to play around with that.

Last night in the rise I took on about 8 yellow hardened elves with chain and shield. I had soothing rain, water ele, death shield, healing grace, defensive stance, glancing blow etc etc all stacked. I survived and when you look at this min maxer style of play you could see why having r53 styled defenses on top of it would be broken.. but just cutting defense in half seems extremely knee jerk and lazy way of fixing it.. why not prevent so many of those skills from stacking instead?

Personally I don't want to play this way it's tedious and my character identity just feels completely sloppy but survival is survival..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  14. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Defensive Stance (1st) + Glancing Blow + Fortified Defense is a good combo. GB & FD both Avoidance, however be aware Ice Shield (water) has Avoidance on it to and you can only have 2 at a time so they will be overwritten by each other. Another Defensive skill to add into your rotation should be Parry.

However I agree with the majority that the change to plate has made full plate non-competitive in relation to other armor choices. Truly believe a 100% skill unlearn to all skills is required to be fair to those of us who built around defensive builds. Many of us are casual players and have not followed the back and forth between Light/Heavy armor & came back for the launch and did not have the opportunity to take advantage of pre-launch unlearns.

15. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'm experimenting with wearing leather armor and stacking avoidance as high as possible, while wearing a chain chest for the heavy armor skill access. So far, I can't tell a difference between that, wearing all chain, or wearing all plate - well except for the fizzle rate.

By Tor likes this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yup it seems like something is broken again... I can remove armor pieces and I see no difference either... or its very negligible.

We don't know, and it looks like the discussion is being abandoned... so we might never know. Back to tier 3 zones for me...

By Tor likes this.
  17. Arkrilok

Arkrilok Avatar

Honestly, this game can’t hold my attention now after the DR nerf. Every time I log in to play and go hit an area that actually yeilds some worthwhile exp (like a standard tier 5 area) I just get stomped and have to run away in my suit of butter plate armor.

Then it’s either go to a tier 2-3 area that gives basically no exp or just log out. I always end up choosing the latter.

As a newer player who stared at launch, I can honestly say this change is a kick in the teeth. I’ve spent over 200 hours in the short time this game has been been full release to get myself strong enough to be able to fight in the tier 5 areas and then a patch just busts me back down. Since the patch I GM’d Deflection and got Sympathy of Stone up to 67 to try to combat this change but it made no difference, I don’t think anything would, other that switching to light armor which I shouldn’t have to do as heavy armor should be MORE defensive than light.

I’m not saying I’m rage quitting this game for attention but I am saying that I am now incapable of having fun in it so... what’s the point?

By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Therein lies my issue with the game right now. I definitely am not as squishy since Chris implemented an increase to DR for heavy armor. The problem now, is that plate armor specifically is not balanced enough when compared to other armors. For example, after testing this weekend, I did better wearing chain and utilizing more offensive magic/life magic due to the decrease in fizzle and versatility. Then, after reading a post here that Bone Armor (considered light) is even better due to it's low fizzle and equivalent DR to plate, I tried that. Although the armor "technically" does offer the same DR as plate without the fizzle, I didn't do so well because I am not spec'ed for any light armor skills. Having said that, it did make me think that this may be the better route to go currently, unless they actually make plate armor worth a damn again. Otherwise, what is the point of wearing it for anything other than role-playing and personal aesthetic? Just my thoughts currently. I am really loathe to stop wearing plate and hold out hope that they will fix this.

By Tor likes this.
  19. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

The only thing that is now a certainty is since the top end cap has been lowered and only plate was close to achieving that cap, ONLY plate was hit with the Nerf bat. Comparatively Plate is now 50% worse than it was prior to the patch & Chain/Leather give nearly equivalent protection with the added benefit of less fizzle and more versatility.

I am confused/disappointed by the way this fix was designed, implemented and communicated.

Truly believe the reason to wear plate needs to be explained, regardless a 100% unlearn for all skills should be given to all players based upon this major change post launch of SOTA.

Arkrilok, By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I usually don't jump in on the combat fixes and balancing issues but i do read the threads always. Again why are we still having some of these extreme balances at this late date? Well don't answer that. I know I am dying just like that now more than I was.

If I was careful I had the fun challenge of running around hiding behind some cover and restoring myself since I'm a gm healer as well who group heals too. I should have to work to stay alive like every one else of course by being totally prepared for battle with buffs, devotionals, foods eaten, armor, and any other help I can find even potions and not letting buffs expire is something to keep in mind and pay attention to. I use glancing blow, fortify defences, a shield of crystal (depending on situation), douse, celestial blessing, block but if course this change made it more difficult and I may adjust to it since I don't like to give up but I hate watching others I care about come back to the game and leave again because what worked for them no longer does.

Like the ice situation no longer slowing or doing some freezing from a player who has specialized and worked his ice up to a very high level and was having a great time. I won't quit the game over this but he will.

Players want to have fun with their characters. they want to feel tougher if they've worked hard on their characters and just when they get there we get a nerf that knocks them back down.

If we are balancing this game just for PvP then shame on us and I don't say we are but why keep doing this? Tanks who can't tank, ice mages who cant slow and freeze, healers who lose their power to finesse that is not ok imo.

We don't want to play weak characters. It is really no fun. We want epic wins for our hard efforts and that does not mean not doing what it takes.

If we are being nerfed give us something in return like a new goal a new skill to freeze those trees now. I'm sorry but this is upsetting and I didn't know it would be.

I am the most sad for others who have lost their fun with this and I say give it back, let them have some power from their hard work and if it is taken away or knocked down a notch explain how to get that epic feeling back.

Let's be done with this now and fix it from a different perspective instead of punishing being the focus every where how about fun being the focus but not without challenge and properly preparing for it of course and not a free ride but bring back the freeze and slow and let it be epic. Freeze their butts for a few seconds and feel the fun or we lose truly here. And i am speaking from playing and hearing the distress. Give us something back. @Chris.

Edited typos from my phone I hope

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.