A few questions and comments

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Justiciar, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Hello.
    I am new to SotA, starting with a Labor Day weekend playfest.
    A few questions and comments:
    1. Any Google search I do on the banking system is always 2 or so years out of date and comments vary based on the release version. There is no definitive post on how to increase your slots, or whether they can be increased (I haven't found a way, since the $ for slots feature was removed from your store and I haven't found a way to buy them with in-game gold either).
    2. I like the game but haven't found a way to donate a few $ to SotA. Should I just buy some CotOs instead?
    3. I liked the start, which for me was in Solace Bridge. Yes I do think the game is a bit bow-heavy initially but you do get a starter bow, sword, and staff, plus all of the gathering and processing tools, plus a Bridge Defender's Bow if you search. It would be nice if you get some guidance towards the leather craftsman in Soltown because when I was fresh from Solace Bridge Outskirts I didn't have any Leather Armor recipes and I was frustrated that the blacksmith didn't sell any.
    4. I keep reading about players which make/use millions of xp per day, with skill levels at 200. Is this real and current, or just testbed stuff? At 10k free XP per day plus 1-8k per quest it's gonna take me a LONG time to reach even 1M XP, even if I could find that many quests, which I can't. If this is real, how do you generate pooled XP apart from quests, or are there repeatable major quests?
    5. I keep reading in the skill tree about skills requiring (presumably pooled) XP to maintain their level. Is this correct? If so, how much XP is charged and per what unit time to maintain skill level? Is it charged for all skills or just adventuring ones?
    6. I have yet to find a way to butcher a wolf carcass or crocodile carcass. I have no recipe nor does placing 1 wolf/crocodile carcass in the butchery window work.
    7. I find the critical/masterwork messages for gathering and refining silly since they don't appear to do anything. You end up with normal raw/processed materials regardless.
    8. I don't understand how skinning an animal can be random even at level 40. I would assume that most animals would have carcasses, hides, and heads, and by level 40 you would be proficient enough not to reduce a wolf to a single piece of scrap leather.
    8. I haven't found any effect of the "locate node" skill. I can walk right up to a "node" and still it won't show on my compass. My node locating skills are all at level 40.
    9. Btw, you should include this tip for new players: recipes for mundane variants tend to be identical, so Iron and Copper recipes would be the same, and Maple and Pine recipes would be the same. It is weird that you start with Copper and Pine recipes, not Iron and Maple, which are found in Soltown Outskirts.
    1o. I see hints and tips about decks and locked glyphs. I am using the standard combat and non-combat hotbars. I don't see what a "deck" does apart from these (perhaps allow you to save and select multiple combat hotbars?) and why you would want to have random glyphs in any deck.
    11. I have yet to figure out a training path for low level mage/archer avatars (e.g. from 2 skulls to 5 skulls). I have completed Orator's quest, so do I need to find a magic shop and buy 100s of reagents now to work on fireballs, earthquakes, and water elementals? If tier 5 dungeons are much like tier 2s in that enemies will come at you individually or at most 3 or 4, then these area effect spells would likely not be of significantly more use than their regular "arrow" versions, and I don't want to cast a Fireball on 3 Thugs in melee range!
    Thanks for any help/hints/suggestions!

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome! Very good observations and questions. I'm on the road so won't be answering most, but I can tell you you don't have to be an archer from the start.

Open up the deck builder (under window selector) and (if they are still there) you can switch to a sword or mage deck, or start building your own.

Regarding xp, you could hit alt F and join a party in upper tears, and make aillion xp super fast. I don't recommend it, as you will then have ruined most of the lower tier experiences for yourself.

But a great way to make a lot of xp in the lower areas is to go hitnuo the other two outskirts, Highvale and Blood River.

Also, a bonus to questing is that it gives you crafting as well as adventure xp.

Most skills don't need xp to maintain anymore, that went away with the xp loss death penalty. You should manage your pool by not leveling too many things at once. You get adventure xp from quests and killing enemies.

You are basically right on with all of your crafting observations.

Gotta go, I'm sure others will fill in more. Welcome

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

1. Any Google search I do on the banking system is always 2 or so years out of date and comments vary based on the release version. There is no definitive post on how to increase your slots, or whether they can be increased (I haven't found a way, since the $ for slots feature was removed from your store and I haven't found a way to buy them with in-game gold either).

A. You have 2 methods. In your bank, you will have an option to increase slots for In Game Gold (IGG). This option will increase quickly in price. Option 2 is in the crown store. To open the crown store, You click on the gold coin button in the top right of your screen (should be 2nd from the right). In the "Others" Section, should should find Bank Upgrades.

2. I like the game but haven't found a way to donate a few $ to SotA. Should I just buy some CotOs instead?

A. Yes. COTOs from the website's store is THE way to give money to the Devs. Don't look for any other way, that is THE way.

3. I liked the start, which for me was in Solace Bridge. Yes I do think the game is a bit bow-heavy initially but you do get a starter bow, sword, and staff, plus all of the gathering and processing tools, plus a Bridge Defender's Bow if you search. It would be nice if you get some guidance towards the leather craftsman in Soltown because when I was fresh from Solace Bridge Outskirts I didn't have any Leather Armor recipes and I was frustrated that the blacksmith didn't sell any.

A. Good idea, Maybe bring that in to the wishlist forum or the R69 Feedback section! Also, if you talk to players, many of us can give you a whole bunch of teachable recipes! Theres a trick also, if you find the recipe online (on Sotawiki.net or something) and it shows as "Re-teachable", you can siumply put the items on the crafting station and you will learn the recipe this way!

4. I keep reading about players which make/use millions of xp per day, with skill levels at 200. Is this real and current, or just testbed stuff? At 10k free XP per day plus 1-8k per quest it's gonna take me a LONG time to reach even 1M XP, even if I could find that many quests, which I can't. If this is real, how do you generate pooled XP apart from quests, or are there repeatable major quests?

A. Yes, you can manage 2Million experience gain per hour right now! As a new player, use the key combo "Alt+F" (by default) which will open the group finder. Any "Control Point", Tartarus or Upper Tears team will usually get you 2m Exp per hour, and you don't need to worry about being deadweight, many of these zones can be done solo nowadays. The 200 levels is a big no though, Must top tier players are currently working on the 160s.

5. I keep reading in the skill tree about skills requiring (presumably pooled) XP to maintain their level. Is this correct? If so, how much XP is charged and per what unit time to maintain skill level? Is it charged for all skills or just adventuring ones?

A. No, this is an old feature. Back in the day, when you died, you would lose experience in your skills, and if the experience went lower than the level requirement, it would lose levels. This is no longer active though, so do not worry about it.

6. I have yet to find a way to butcher a wolf carcass or crocodile carcass. I have no recipe nor does placing 1 wolf/crocodile carcass in the butchery window work.

A. Uhh, Actually I never worked on cooking, I'll let the others answer this! (probably look for a cooking merchant for the recipe?)

7. I find the critical/masterwork messages for gathering and refining silly since they don't appear to do anything. You end up with normal raw/processed materials regardless.

For gathering, you will simply gather WAY faster, and won't fail. For refining, it will give you bonus Crafting Exp!

8. I don't understand how skinning an animal can be random even at level 40. I would assume that most animals would have carcasses, hides, and heads, and by level 40 you would be proficient enough not to reduce a wolf to a single piece of scrap leather.

Once you are out of the outskirts zones, you should be getting at least 1 leather per beast.

8. I haven't found any effect of the "locate node" skill. I can walk right up to a "node" and still it won't show on my compass. My node locating skills are all at level 40.

This Innate skill will only make them Shine/Highlight/Glow. You will never have nodes showing up on your compass.

9. Btw, you should include this tip for new players: recipes for mundane variants tend to be identical, so Iron and Copper recipes would be the same, and Maple and Pine recipes would be the same. It is weird that you start with Copper and Pine recipes, not Iron and Maple, which are found in Soltown Outskirts.

A. Like point #3!

1o. I see hints and tips about decks and locked glyphs. I am using the standard combat and non-combat hotbars. I don't see what a "deck" does apart from these (perhaps allow you to save and select multiple combat hotbars?) and why you would want to have random glyphs in any deck.

A. There are multiple ways to build a deck. Here is a guide on deckbuilding which will give you a few ideas. It' a bit outdated, I've found new ways to build a deck since, but this will still be useful! : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...k-building-cards-or-heat-why-not-both.126507/

11. I have yet to figure out a training path for low level mage/archer avatars (e.g. from 2 skulls to 5 skulls). I have completed Orator's quest, so do I need to find a magic shop and buy 100s of reagents now to work on fireballs, earthquakes, and water elementals? If tier 5 dungeons are much like tier 2s in that enemies will come at you individually or at most 3 or 4, then these area effect spells would likely not be of significantly more use than their regular "arrow" versions, and I don't want to cast a Fireball on 3 Thugs in melee range!

A. Many zones differ in how mobs react. Tartarus as an example, is a dungeon where 20+ slow walking zombies with over 4k health will walk towards you. Ring of Fire, Meteor Shower, Fireball and Banish undead become REALLY useful here! Depends on where and what you are fighting, but all skills and spells are useful somewhere!

Hope this answers your questions, and feel free to ask more!

StarLord, Justiciar, Nick and 3 others like this.
  4. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I'll try to tackle a few of these -- inline:

The in-game Crown Shop has them for 500 COTO per upgrade for 100 bank slots. Search for "Bank Upgrade" to locate this time. The In-Game Crown store is the second icon from the far upper right in your game window.

That's the preferred way. You can also donate Bits on Twitch to the ShroudOfTheAvatar channel (https://twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar)

I don't know if any player has reached 200 in any single skill, let alone 200 in adventurer level. Some of the devs play at 200 because they don't want to be interrupted doing whatever their tasks are.

Getting more than 1M experience per hour is possible in some scenes with a large high-level party. Yes, you can probably get into a group and go from newbie to intermediate player in an hour or two. This won't necessarily enhance your enjoyment of the game. Now that I understand the game, starting up from a new character to intermediate is a rather fast task -- it was learning the ropes for me that slowed me down the most.

Maintenance has gone away, so no worries there anymore. However, details about "how much experience" are available for growth (big spoilers:)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/experience-tables-full-spreadsheets.69302/

The recipes are out there, and these recipes can be learned from other players. If you want another major spoiler, here is a list of the recipes that can be bought from merchants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kkzc2iavsDDmBaC0wgeY0BWYLZ08bAB23Zo5_ggv68s/edit#gid=0

This is visual and not based on the compass, the node will "glow" in some way making it easier to see. If you know where they all are, it's not a problem, but it can be helpful to have in a zone you've never been in before.

I'm of the same mind, but I keep getting pushback from my fellow crafters. I'd like to see the whole system simplified by an order of magnitude, although others want puzzles and other obstacles added. The community is great in communicating their ideas, so don't get me wrong this isn't a bad thing to agree to disagree here -- it helps when people add their 2 cents to the forums.

Speed, combination skills, lower cooldown times, etc. The use of the unlocked decks provide a different sort of trade off -- one that requires you to think more but in general creates more opportunities and power.

Sincerely,

Engineer

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You can also buy into the Rewards Program at $9 a month.
    Don't waste XP on this skill. It is really not worth it, except maybe for the harvesting one, and even that is really not worth it. Originally, if you were near a node, you would occasionally see little sparkles around the node. The frequency of the sparkles increased with leveling the skill. They've since added a pulsing glow as well. I'm not sure if the glow is related to the skill or not, it seems not to be. Either way, the only time it was ever really useful was for spotting some of the harvestable plants, like Nightshade, Garlic, and Mandrake Root. But they've also since increased the size of these, making them easier to spot. Nightshade and Mandrake can still blend in with other plants a little, and Serpent Scales are really rare, so they're easy to miss just because you tend not to look for them. But just about every other node in the game is pretty easy to spot once you know what they look like, so putting points in the skill is mostly a waste.
    Yeah, that was dumb for me too. Cooking merchants have the recipes. I think most NPC towns have one, but the only one I can point to is in Aerie near the north entrance, just east of the castle.

Nick and Jason_M like this.
  6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia :):)

@Violette Dyonisys has got you covered, and some of the other suggestions are gold, as well.

I would like to add something: You need more experience as your skills reach higher levels. As a new player, you can easily gain experience by adventuring and doing quests and exploring. :D

While it is technically possible to reach level 200 in a skill, I don't think anyone has to date and it's possible that anyone may never. As mentioned before, each level requires progressively more experience than the last. Once you reach GM in a skill (100th level), you start having to ask before improving a skill further: Do I *really* need this? Is it worth the investment. o_O

You can complete all of the quests with skills in the 70s and 80s. One of the beauties of this game is that you only need to grind as much as you like. You can go off and do your own thing and have a great time. :cool:

Happy travels!

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You get a free POT Row Lot Deed, and store your stuff there in trunks and chests, no need to buy more bank slots. Just another suggestion.

Gravidy and Mimner like this.
  8. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

@Jaesun ^

I was literally typing that out when you posted!!

Jaesun likes this.
  9. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Hello all!
    Thanks for the responses.
    A) I still don't understand party Pooled Exp generation apart from normal quests. Do some dungeons/areas have perpetual quests or give Pooled Exp for killing the main baddie?
    B) Violette, Datendrache: If you follow the instructions you are given in-game, you are told that the link for turning real $ into bank slots does not exist. Perhaps moved or removed? The only Misc items I see for sale are POTs and COTOs. Bankers (I used Soltown Inn) don't seem to give me an option to buy slots for in-game gold. How do I do it?
    C) Jaesun: Yes, I've read that this is the "preferred" method. Problems are (1) you can't move the lot if you choose to adventure in a different area. I went from Ardoris to Aerie recently because I had finished Soltown and am probably not ready for the Tower of the Blind Eye or whatever (2) house building I guess would require a house recipe? There's no general instruction for this. (3) The 1000 IGG *daily* lot tax (I'm basing this on the cost shown in the intro guide) for a normal lot for a house is not affordable for intro players. I'm pretty miserly and I only got up to 10K gold recently before spending about 7K on recipes.
    * I also always hate it that most dungeoneering games use "gold" to mean "money", but this is my pet peeve and not related to any game in particular. An intro char would probably be transacting in coppers and silvers. "Coins" (Cn) would probably be a more accurate word.
    Thanks!

10. Nick

Nick Avatar

Do you mean this?

[​IMG]

To buy bank slots from crown shop, you'll need to have crowns first. These crowns you can buy from the online store, or in game from other players.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  11. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

A) Your pooled exp is the exp you gain from completing quests OR killing mobs. If you open your Skill Tree ('K') at the bottom you will see 'Pooled Experience'. This number goes up or down, depending on the number of skills you have training. If you are training more than the experience you are gaining, you will see it go down. At lower levels, it you will not see a ton of movement up or down (it will generally even out) as you are leveling up skills in the low range (between skill level 1 and 60). Between 60 - 80 you may start to notice (and beyond). Typically once you get higher levels you will have to set most things to 'Not training' and as you build your pool, and once you have enough experience level up certain skills until you are where you want to be. As you use your skills (thus 'training them') you will utilize experience out of the pool. The more experience in your pool, generally the better (it will train faster or slower, depending on how much - if you have very little in your pool in relation to how much the skill costs, it will be slow). There is an optimal amount to have in your pool to Grandmaster a skill, depending on how much experience it requires.

B) Look in the crown store (Click on the seal next to the chest in the upper right corner). Go to Other -> Storage Upgrades. You can buy them with Crowns of the Obsidians this way (you will have to buy the crowns on the website). And last I checked, if you open the bank window, in the bottom left corner you can click and it'll allow you to upgrade for IGG.

C) Yes you can choose to move your lot. You can store it in the Magic Mover (It's called 'Property Manager' under the Window Selection - top right corner, first symbol that looks like a window). You will your property on the right side, with options for house, basement, and dungeon. You simply drag those to one of the 'Empty Storage' slots and it's saved. Then, go to another area, claim a new lot, open the Property Manager, and then drag the house to the lot (there is a cool down in between storing and bringing out, I can't remember what ti is). Yes, you can build houses (this is under the 'Carpentry' skill tree and the recipes are sold at Carpenter NPCs. However, you get a default one with a row lot deed). There are also different tax levels for different house types - the 'beginner' house, the row lot, is only 250 gold per day. You can make double this by talking to the Oracle at any Confirmatory in any town and taking her 'test' - she will ask you how you feel you are doing on the different paths of virtue. If you don't know how you are doing, ask her about the different virtues (courage, love, truth) and she will give you a blurb telling you how she sees it. You can use those responses to complete the test. You can do this once every day.

Nick likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The free Row Lot deed you get is for a player owned town and it comes with a default 2 story house.

As stated above, you can place the home in a magic mover and store the house there and then go find a new location.

However, moving the house onto a new lot in a new player owned town, will require you pay COTO’s. Using the magic mover in the same player owned town, doesn’t cost COTO’s though.

In general, since you can easily run around the entire map as well as use scrolls to return home, just find a location you like and just stay there.

I have a few guides to help with paying the house tax:

Player Basics - Speaking to the Oracle Daily
    Player Basics - Getting Gold

Nick likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Houses can be crafted yes, but that is not required.
    Instead when you claim a Row House lot with your deed you get the default house that is there already for free - only if you want to change it do you need to have a house to place, and houses can be bought from NPCs in game as well, from 5000g IIRC. EDIT - I checked in game - they are 10 000g.
    Then I thought that info might be in the wiki so here we go:
    Example of a realtor / house deed vendor
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Boris
    what one might want is the
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Stucco_Four-Story_Row_Home
    then to place a basement one would need a hatch, 100g
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Hatch_(Basement_Entrance)
    and the actual basement, 1000g
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Row_Stone_&_Timber_1-Story_Basement

So if you get the row deed, all you need to do is buy some chests/bags/containers, run up to an available row lot claim it, dump all your stuff in the house.
    When you want to move, if you don't care about the deco. You remove the deed (unclaim), which sends all the stuff to bank. Run to wherever you want next, claim next available house, go to local bank and collect the stuff, go to the house and dump it.
    This if you unclaim you can go over the bank limit until you claim again.

Very much agreed, I blame Gary Gygax.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Justiciar, Nick and CrandalltheFoole like this.
  14. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

One of the better ways to store items is to discover another avatar who has spaces/trunks to "rent".
    Tenant status enables you to place and store items (up to 300 items per container), and it secures those items as well, even from your landlord.
    This way, you not only have a home base, but can also do deco and craft if the town has a craft center.
    Paying rent for such space may or may not be required. Personally any avatar who needs trunk storage can get it at no cost from me. No conditions.
    Some guilds also offer such storage or even apartment space.

Justiciar and Nick like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Avatar

@Justiciar , if you ever visit Resolute, check out the player owned town Soryn Fields nearby, if you like the place, I can set up a place for you for a couple of months so you don't have to worry about taxes.

Jaesun likes this.
  16. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Thanks!
    Yes, I know about renting. Maybe I'll do that instead of spending my Row Lot Deed.
    @Spoon: Don't blame Gygax for the seemingly global use of the term "gold" to mean "money". Even the original D&D 40 years ago used the gold/silver/copper system and measured weight in Coins (Cn).
    @Nick: I'll be visiting everywhere sometime. :) I go to where the new quests are, which seems to be in the main cities.
    @Idykllr: What "mobs" generate XP? Just anything that's hostile or only specific ones? Do I have to clear out the entire dungeon / area to get the XP? Is there a notification as to you being awarded PXP like for quests?
    * I had a lot of problems with the overland Britain area recently around 6AM Mountain: extreme slowness and crashes. Is this just due to overpopulation of avatars?
    * Btw, Ultima 4 introduced Truth, Love, and Courage as Principles, versus the 8 Virtues which stemmed from combinations of the above. I'm surprised this wasn't kept and now everything is a virtue.

Jaesun likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea but that was more of a Kuntz and Andersson thingie or even Williams for that matter. They loved flavor like that, Gygax on the other hand didn’t. Especially later on.
    So if you played with Gygax in the 80s it wasn’t cp sp gp anymore it was simply kinda converted to “gold”.

Which was very much the case for late add and the early computer games like pool of radiance.

So I blame Gygax.

Jaesun likes this.
  18. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Anything that you can kill (besides regular NPC's, which are not attackable). You do not have to clear out an entire area/dungeon - you are awarded exp as soon as the mob you are fighting dies. Yes, there is a notification when you are awarded experience for completing quests.

There shouldn't be any issues with overpopulation of avatar's, by any means. The game still need some optimization as they upgrade to different versions of Unity, so each release sometimes there are issues. I would look on the bug forums and see if anyone has experienced any problems this release.

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Anything you kill that is not an NPC gives experience in your pool of experience, which you can then distribute to your skills by using them. This process often happens at the same time too.

As for the principles and virtues, that is how it is set up! Play the story line a little and that is pretty much how it has been shown to be!

20. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

It's very helpful once you figure out how experience and character progression works.

Everytime you perform an action (use a skill, hit with sword etc.) a small bit of exp is moved from your pool to the relevant skill. The more exp you have accumulated in the pool, the more is transfered on every skill use. (If the skill is set to train that is.)

Everytime you kill something, new exp is added to your pool. The tougher the creature, the more you get. At the start of the game, the additional exp from quests is a nice boost. But eventually killing stuff will be the largest source by far.

Like others said, you don't need exp in the pool to maintain skills anymore. If you drain out the pool, it only means you have less (or nothing) to allocate to the skills until you fill it up again. If you want to work on magic skills that require reagents, it's good to build up a large pool before training. Then you will need fewer skill uses and reagents to gain the same amount of skill.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.